Prospect Info: Pavel Francouz

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Hi Team,

Got up early to watch the final game before the playoffs kick off.

3 years ago I started following Pavel, while following the KHL as well as the Czech National team. The guy left a good impression on me and I was really hyped when he got signed by the Avs. The two games he played on the highest level where ok, although we didn't win.

Now, how do you see his future within our organization? Will he get more icetime next season, will he stay with the Eagles. He will turn 29 by the end of the playoffs.

Thanks for your input.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Hi Team,

Got up early to watch the final game before the playoffs kick off.

3 years ago I started following Pavel, while following the KHL as well as the Czech National team. The guy left a good impression on me and I was really hyped when he got signed by the Avs. The two games he played on the highest level where ok, although we didn't win.

Now, how do you see his future within our organization? Will he get more icetime next season, will he stay with the Eagles. He will turn 29 by the end of the playoffs.

Thanks for your input.
No idea really. I'm surprised he didn't get any starts this year. Very strange.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We don't really know how the goaltending will shake out next year. Even if Varly leaves, I could see the Avs bringing in another young promising goaltender to push Francouz in camp a little.

The most likely bet is Grubauer starting with Francouz backing up, but I don't think Sakic will feel comfortable rolling the dice on them alone. They'll want a third option that's either NHL capable or with a promising future ala Frank. I don't think the Avs want to take many chances with goaltending next year if they can help it.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We don't really know how the goaltending will shake out next year. Even if Varly leaves, I could see the Avs bringing in another young promising goaltender to push Francouz in camp a little.

The most likely bet is Grubauer starting with Francouz backing up, but I don't think Sakic will feel comfortable rolling the dice on them alone. They'll want a third option that's either NHL capable or with a promising future ala Frank. I don't think the Avs want to take many chances with goaltending next year if they can help it.
This Swiss guy Reto Berra had pretty good numbers in the NLA this season.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

Speaking of which, is Cale Morris staying for his senior year?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I would feel a lot more comfortable re-signing Francouz if we gave him 1-2 starts. With that being said, we have no idea what the discussion has been behind closed doors. If they've been transparent with him and he's happy being a key player for the Eagles then I think it's fine, but if they simply kept him in the dark I have my doubts he'll stick with us.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I wonder about his UFA status too. It's anybody's guess right now whether they'll be able to reach a deal. I hope they do, but if Francouz wishes to go elsewhere, he has every opportunity (and right) to do so. I imagine the discussions haven't really started yet.

Reactions: avsfan09

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I HOPE we re-sign Varly. He's still a very, very good goalie. If not, Francouz will back-up Grubauer. If we do sign Varly, Pavel will be first call-up.
Either way, he'll get NHL experience next season.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is Martin signed for next season? If we have Grub/Franc with the Avs, who will be the Eagle's goal tenders for next season?

No, the only goalie the Avs have signed at any level past this season is Grubauer. Spence is RFA, Varlamov, Cannata, and Francouz are UFA.

This is according to Cap Friendly, a site that also says the Avs' current payroll is lower than that of the Sens.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
No, the only goalie the Avs have signed at any level past this season is Grubauer. Spence is RFA, Varlamov, Cannata, and Francouz are UFA.

This is according to Cap Friendly, a site that also says the Avs' current payroll is lower than that of the Sens.
Is Francouz RFA or UFA. NHLnumber has him as a RFA.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Is Martin signed for next season? If we have Grub/Franc with the Avs, who will be the Eagle's goal tenders for next season?
Hopefully Adam Werner comes over. Good SHL numbers this year.

Speaking of Euro goalies coming over, I'd be surprised if Veini Vehviläinen doesn't join CBJ after another great season in Finland, so look for that to happen.

Justus "The Awful Goaltender" Annunen might finally get a FEL backup spot. He's been outplayed by the other young Mestis goalie, though, so I don't know. I'd look for a spot on a shitty FEL team, instead of Kärpät, if I were him.

Last edited:

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
I HOPE we re-sign Varly. He's still a very, very good goalie. If not, Francouz will back-up Grubauer. If we do sign Varly, Pavel will be first call-up.

I think I’m good with this.

As much as I love Varly I don’t think his competition level will ever bounce back with us, I don’t know exactly if that physical or mental, but I’m ready to move on.

Really haven’t seen enough of Frankie in NHL to have a fair opinion yet

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Varly not likely to return.

Varly earns $5.9M vs Grubs $3.3M. To play backup, you'll assume with fewer games to be signed for less? He would need to accept at least a 50% pay cut to return. Even if he signs with another team, he could be a starter and earn more than playing backup to Grubs.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I have assume that Varly wants to be a starter, and that's not likely to happen here any more. I would expect a lot of teams to go after him as a free agent as he's probably the best option after Bobrovsky.

That means Franky has the inside shot at backup if he does indeed re-sign here, but I assume Sakic will also bring in another goalie to be the AHl starter/fill-in for Franky if he isn't actually NHL-caliber.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Oh yeah, and in addition to Werner, bring in Cale Morris. Would Grubauer-Francouz-Morris-Werner be a combo you'd trust for the NHL and AHL spots?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Oh yeah, and in addition to Werner, bring in Cale Morris. Would Grubauer-Francouz-Morris-Werner be a combo you'd trust for the NHL and AHL spots?

Grubauer/Francouz is kind of a risky NHL tandem, given Francouz has only 2 appearances--in relief--in the NHL.

And then add to that an all-rookie (in the AHL) tandem of Werner/Morris? I don't see the notoriously risk-averse Avalanche doing that. It would be nice to add a free talent like Morris to the pipeline (and then still use our 1st on Spencer Knight later this summer), but I don't think that's going to happen.

That said--I'm all for rolling with Francouz as the backup next year. I like Varly, but I'd rather take the chance with Grubauer/Francouz next year.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad