Pavel Datsyuk - Some kind of magic? (Video)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Are we ever going to see another player like Datsyuk?

He combines highlight reel offensive material with Selke level defense. I can't think of anybody more electric and dynamic to watch.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Loved it. I could watch Pavel tributes all day. Can't wait to one day play these 15 years from now and just be amazed and extremely happy that I got to watch every single game of his career.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are we ever going to see another player like Datsyuk?

No. And even if we did, I wouldn't admit it.

He combines highlight reel offensive material with Selke level defense. I can't think of anybody more electric and dynamic to watch.

I know it's a sore subject... But among that current group of centers with Selke level defense, Toews is the one with the slickest hands IMO.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
More than defense and hands though, Datsyuk's creativity, charisma, and individuality are just off the charts.

I mean how many players have a signature move? When you hear kids say "the Datsyuk", you know exactly what they are referring to. He's the kind of player lots of these kids coming up molded their game after, and try to imitate. He left a really big mark on the league, and I'm not ashamed to say he's the reason I am a Red Wings fan, and will likely always be my favorite hockey player.

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
No. And even if we did, I wouldn't admit it.

I know it's a sore subject... But among that current group of centers with Selke level defense, Toews is the one with the slickest hands IMO.

Huh? Datsyuk's hands are clearly better than Toews, and anyone else in the league although there's an argument for Kane. I would take Kopitar over Toews as well in terms of hands. I guess everyone has their own opinion.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Huh? Datsyuk's hands are clearly better than Toews, and anyone else in the league although there's an argument for Kane. I would take Kopitar over Toews as well in terms of hands. I guess everyone has their own opinion.

Agreed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I should have clarified more in the post that you quoted.

This all started by Bench saying that there aren't many guys out there with Selke level defense and amazing hands.

I was trying to say that in addition to Datsyuk, guys that have Selke level defense (Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron) Toews has the best hands of THAT GROUP. Just those three.

I disagree on Kopitar having better hands than Toews, but that is just my take. I think Kopitar is better at protecting the puck, but Toews has better dangles.

I think Datsyuk easily has better hands than Toews.

giraffywaffy

Mar 7, 2012
I suppose I'll use this thread to ask what i seek. I'm having a slightly difficult time locating footage of datsyuk protecting the puck along the boards while using his stick as an anchor. More specifically, just jamming the blade down into the boards in order to avoid getting knocked off the puck. I've combed through some videos on youtube, but to no avail. Can't quite remember where I saw it.

drw13

Sep 29, 2013
I suppose I'll use this thread to ask what i seek. I'm having a slightly difficult time locating footage of datsyuk protecting the puck along the boards while using his stick as an anchor. More specifically, just jamming the blade down into the boards in order to avoid getting knocked off the puck. I've combed through some videos on youtube, but to no avail. Can't quite remember where I saw it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJoMjUjaoTI Im continuing to try and find some in game examples, but i believe what youre looking for is seen at 2:30 of this video. Correct me if this is not the type of play youre looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MqkodB7T0 the play here at 0:30 could be an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxo4kUBidm0 again seen in this video

I can only seem to find plays where he does it for a brief moment. Back to the reels i go.

Last edited:

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
Great video.

And I'll take that music over terrible dub step or generic rock/metal any day.

Actual Thought*

I should have clarified more in the post that you quoted.

This all started by Bench saying that there aren't many guys out there with Selke level defense and amazing hands.

I was trying to say that in addition to Datsyuk, guys that have Selke level defense (Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron) Toews has the best hands of THAT GROUP. Just those three.

I disagree on Kopitar having better hands than Toews, but that is just my take. I think Kopitar is better at protecting the puck, but Toews has better dangles.

I think Datsyuk easily has better hands than Toews.

I think Datsyuk easily has better hands than Toews.....and everyone else.

giraffywaffy

Mar 7, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJoMjUjaoTI Im continuing to try and find some in game examples, but i believe what youre looking for is seen at 2:30 of this video. Correct me if this is not the type of play youre looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MqkodB7T0 the play here at 0:30 could be an example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qxo4kUBidm0 again seen in this video

I can only seem to find plays where he does it for a brief moment. Back to the reels i go.
Thanks, the first video at 2:30 was it! I wanted to pass that along to a friend so we can try it ourselves.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
ShabbyMemorableGoldfinch.gif

I don't give a **** it was disallowed, just love to see him back and giving us this entertainment. :handclap:

No one else does that kind of things. that was a wonderful moment (for few seconds), once again. :yo:

Our Magic man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad