Pavel Bure vs Joe Sakic (Better player at their peak)

Better player at their peak?

• Total voters

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
That isn't close to either players best year.

Bure wasn't even top 20 in hart voting that year or on the AST. He was 5th in goals and missed the top 10 in pts. His 93/94, 99/00 and 00/01 were easily better years.

Sakic won the Hart+lindsay while finishing 2nd in goals/pts/Selke in 00/01. Easily his best season.

Based on their actual best seasons it's tough. Based on the seasons given in the OP it's easily Sakic.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
That isn't close to either players best year.

Bure wasn't even top 20 in hart voting that year or on the AST. He was 5th in goals and missed the top 10 in pts. His 93/94, 99/00 and 00/01 were easily better years.

Sakic won the Hart+lindsay while finishing 2nd in goals/pts/Selke in 00/01. Easily his best season.

Based on their actual best seasons it's tough. Based on the seasons given in the OP it's easily Sakic.

I posted their top seasons statistically to compass some context. The poll is about who was a better player at their best.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Sakic had 118 points in '01, which is more than Bure ever scored in a season. That was in a lower scoring season than either season in which Bure scored 100+ points.

He had more offensive support that season than Bure had in his best seasons with FLA, but he also better defensively. Bure missed eight games in 2000.

If you're asking about who was better in his best season, I'd lean toward Sakic. If you're asking who was better over X number of games at his best, who knows...

Bure was more electrifying, though.

Reactions: Big Ben Healy

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Bure was one of my favourite players growing up but this is Sakic and its not even that close for me. Bure didn't elevate his teammates or play defense.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
How is this poll so close? Easily Sakic just a far more complete player and made those around him better, I remember Bure best for just generating a lot of breakaways and being absolutely deadly on them. Bure had a phenomenal talent package, but he didn't have the attention to detail or the defensive game to make near the same contribution to his team winning hockey games.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Honestly I don't understand how its so close.
Many people voting who didn’t watch their careers play out and Bure being a sexier highlight reel.

At that time, at their best there’s not one NHL executive or coach that would take Bure over Sakic.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Sakic, not close.

Sakic was the best player in the league in 2000-01 by a wide margin. Bure was never the best player in the league in any year.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
I posted their top seasons statistically to compass some context. The poll is about who was a better player at their best.
Don't you think you should adjust for leaguewide scoring when deciding and presenting "top seasons statistically"?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Surprised anyone is actually voting for Bure. He was better in the early 90s and that's it.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Sakic, not close.

Sakic was the best player in the league in 2000-01 by a wide margin. Bure was never the best player in the league in any year.

I would also vote Sakic but the question is if Bure at his best was better than sakic in 2000-01 not if he ever was the best player in the game.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Don't you think you should adjust for leaguewide scoring when deciding and presenting "top seasons statistically"?

Sorry i didn't simulate their converted seasons or go back in time and bring them together in one year

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Bure. Before the knee injuries, his defensive play was horribly overlooked. And he did it without a Forsberg or anyone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad