Pavel Bure Retired Jersey?

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I was, and remain, opposed to the retirement of Bure's jersey. However, I will say last night softened my stance.

At one time, Bure was my favourite player, and he was certainly the most exciting player the Canucks have ever had. I still don't agree with his holdout and demanding a trade (and yes, I'm aware of his "reasons", and again I implore people to consider the source), and I think that Bure wasn't good enough for long enough here for that special honour, but maybe it's time to forgive and forget. I can't deny that if it happens, it would be a great night.

I sure hope the Canucks win a cup first, though. 10, 12, 16, 19 (and soon 22 and 33) would be a lot of retired numbers for a team that's never won anything.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I think for people in my age range he is the most iconic player in franchise history. When I think of defining moments in Canucks history, Bure has some of the most notable. Not to mention, he's easily the most talented scorer in Canucks history.

I personally find it ridiculous that someone like Naslund has their jersey retired while Bure doesn't.

Agreed. I hate the fact that Naslund has his jersey retired to be honest. There should be 3 jerseys up there in the rafters: #16, #12, and #10.

Being involved in the community is a wonderful thing, and I applaud players for it. It should not be a prerequisite for jersey retirement however, that should be left to what players accomplish on the ice and their iconic status as Canuck legends. Bure is that, a Canuck legend, and he is in the discussion when asked who is the most exciting player to play the game. He should have his jersey retired.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Most exciting player our franchise has ever had in over 40 years. Also led the league in goals, scored the game 7 OT winner against the flames on route to the most exciting playoff run in franchise history. You retire the jersey. Can't believe we haven't done it already.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
really hope jim robson is the emcee for bure's retirement ceremony

would be epic

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Agreed, but he wouldn't be in the HOF if only his Canuck career was considered.

Problem there is no canuck has ever had a HOF career as just a canuck. The sedins if they can win a stanley cup could get there but lets face it he's the best we've had. Thinking about that it's rather sad. Over 40 years and we've only had a couple of truly great players on our roster.

Hal 9000*

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1395793

There's a large thread in the main section detailing why he wanted to leave. In short, he was manipulated by the organization, cheated out of his trust and confidence in management. From the very beginning, he had to pay a large sum of his own money to arrive in Vancouver; the team would not sign him until he paid $50,000 of the transfer fees from Russia. He remained in LA for two weeks without any contact from the Canucks before they contacted him about flying to Vancouver; they cited they were unsure they wanted to sign him that season. He had to stay at his agent's house during those two weeks. He was left not knowing when, if at all, he would be contacted by the team.

When they signed his initial contract, the team signed him at a price substantially below his actual value, citing he had to prove he was worth anything higher. Before his next contract, he and the team battled 17 months before agreeing to anything. At that point, Pavel requested for a trade in November 1993. The team refused to trade him. Meanwhile, he was scoring 60 goals in back-to-back seasons and experiencing success like no other Canuck had before him. He was one of the faces of the league at this time.

The organization had throughout the negotations, meanwhile, attempted to sign him to another lowball contract, then when negotiations became difficult, the team spread rumors that he wanted to hold out of the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals due to contract negotiation issues -- Pavel never did this. They allegedly planted the story via the media in order to slander him when negotiations became difficult, then did little to deny it, thus allowing the rumor to linger despite its falsehood.

When he and the team finally reached an agreement on a deal, they tried to sign him in Canadian dollars rather than in what all other players received -- US dollars. At the time, the Canadian dollar was substantially lower than the US dollar in value, meaning they tried to trick him into signing at a price well below what he had verbally agreed to. After the negotiations, Pavel tried to shake hands with Quinn and move on; Quinn would not shake his hand.

The contract he signed in 1994 had an agreement that, in the event of a lockout (1994-95 lockout), he would still receive a salary. This was agreed to on both sides. They were supposed to pay him a signing bonus when the contract was signed, but delayed that payment for three months. They then refused to pay any of the money he was owed that year; he bitterly fought for three years to have that money paid, and was not paid even a portion of the amount owed to him until the 1997-98 season -- and in the end, he only received $1 million of the $1.7 million he was owed. Bure had to file arbitration with the help of his new agent, Mike Gillis, to have his owed amount acknowledged.

Throughout his time with the team, the organization never backed him up on anything. When he finally decided enough was enough and asked for a trade in 1998, he held out in order to ensure the team would move him. The organization then turned the media and the fans against Pavel and vilified him for not wanting to play for the team. Thus, when Pavel left, he was undeservedly hated for holding out and leaving. He had every reason to want to leave, and nobody should dislike him for it. Pavel always put the fans first, and when he was on the ice that was all that mattered. Unfortunately, the off-ice debacle around him made it an unbearable situation to be here. The organization chased him out of here, and as we have seen recently, they are the ones who must approach him and begin the healing process with him.

From the time he arrived here, his effect on the franchise was incredible. He transformed this market into what it is today; the on-ice product had been abysmal for years, and Pavel changed the market with his exhilarating play; expectations became different, the way fans cheered for the team became different. He put this team on the map and grew the fanbase on an exponential scale. Pavel transformed a middling NHL market into a true hockey market and brought out the hockey fan in everyone. When he was here, he was a rock star. Fans clamored everywhere he went, and at times it was even overwhelming. There were songs about him, bags of fanmail were sent every week to him personally, and fans cheered as much for him as they cheered for the team. In fact, there were many Bure fans who later became Canucks fans. That was his effect -- he introduced fans to the game with his style and turned the city upside-down.

When fans flocked to the arena, it was often to see him. He was the face of the team marketed to the rest of the NHL -- the most exciting player in the league. He led the team with his play, and was one of the heroes of the 1994 Stanley Cup run. Without him and his effect on the product and the fanbase, the team might not have survived the scare of relocation. Pavel was adored in a way different than any other player has been appreciated in Vancouver before or since. You suggested he was not an icon: I'll argue he was the most important icon this team has ever had.

Bure was certainly the most talented player we've ever had - no one will dispute that. But, those stories are mostly hogwash an the rest have perfectly good explanations. Getting him out of Russia and legally into canada was a sensative issue back in that time and the Canucks had to take certain precautions. Bure was always paid more than any of his peers - regardless of exchange rates. He made way more than brodeur, lidstrom, Mogilny etc. The Canucks didn't pay him the lockout money, instead they gave him an early renewal making him 3rd highest paid player behind only gretzky and Lemieux. Bure was treated just fine.
BTW - he tried fighting his draft status right off the hop, obviously in hopes of becoming a free agent and sign elsewhere. Tony Gallagher has done a great job rewriting history.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Agreed, but he wouldn't be in the HOF if only his Canuck career was considered.

He's the one that comes closest if players' Canucks careers were the only things considered. Compare his time in Van. with Linden and Smyl.

Wizeman*

Here is the evidence.

#10 was taken out of circulation two years ago.

Aqauman has been going around sucking up to Bure for a year now.

Bure, who has resisted committing to Vancouver since he left, now shows up and gives a tearful performance in front of the 18000 faithful

That to me is all the signs his jersey is going to be retired, and Bure is finally ready to commit to it.

:handclap:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
His jersey has to be retired.

He is the only HoF inductee whose years played in Vancouver contributed significantly to his HoF consideration.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Bure was certainly the most talented player we've ever had - no one will dispute that. But, those stories are mostly hogwash an the rest have perfectly good explanations. Getting him out of Russia and legally into canada was a sensative issue back in that time and the Canucks had to take certain precautions. Bure was always paid more than any of his peers - regardless of exchange rates. He made way more than brodeur, lidstrom, Mogilny etc. The Canucks didn't pay him the lockout money, instead they gave him an early renewal making him 3rd highest paid player behind only gretzky and Lemieux. Bure was treated just fine.
BTW - he tried fighting his draft status right off the hop, obviously in hopes of becoming a free agent and sign elsewhere. Tony Gallagher has done a great job rewriting history.

Agreed. Who is more respected amongst hockey people, Pavel Bure or Pat Quinn?

People are believing nonsense stories put forth by "journalists" that have/had an axe to grind with Canucks management.

If the Canucks were treating players so horribly, why weren't other players demanding trades?

I thought there were some interesting revelations in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=842204

Bure had some odd ideas about money.

stickside

Oct 6, 2007
Agreed. Who is more respected amongst hockey people, Pavel Bure or Pat Quinn?

People are believing nonsense stories put forth by "journalists" that have/had an axe to grind with Canucks management.

If the Canucks were treating players so horribly, why weren't other players demanding trades?

I thought there were some interesting revelations in this thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=842204

Bure had some odd ideas about money.

gasp! bure had odd ideas about money? just a sec, i gotta re-evaluate whether i still want his number retired. hmmmm....

yup, still do.

CallMeJerry

Apr 15, 2007
If you don't believe the backstory of Bure's reasons, you can't deny that he had to sue the Canucks to get paid in the lockout year. That might piss me off a little.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
I grew up a Jets fan and the early 90's saw some great Vancouver/Winnipeg battles. Bure gave the Jets fits left and right..especially 1992 when he erupted when the Jets were up 3-1.

He is one of the reasons I started to follow Vancouver when I was a kid, him and Selanne forever gave me lasting memories of hockey.

Hal 9000*

Here is the evidence.

#10 was taken out of circulation two years ago.

Aqauman has been going around sucking up to Bure for a year now.

Bure, who has resisted committing to Vancouver since he left, now shows up and gives a tearful performance in front of the 18000 faithful

That to me is all the signs his jersey is going to be retired, and Bure is finally ready to commit to it.

:handclap:

I have no doubt that yesterday was a dry run to see how he was received by the fans.

My issue is with the bolded part; Bure's known that this was a thought for some time, now he's ready (after being sucked up to for a year...or more) for the Canucks and you fans to honour him. The most selfish player that I've ever seen, does not disappoint.

I cant think of a stranger situation! I guess Toronto should start begging Vince Carter.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have no doubt that yesterday was a dry run to see how he was received by the fans.

My issue is with the bolded part; Bure's known that this was a thought for some time, now he's ready (after being sucked up to for a year...or more) for the Canucks and you fans to honour him. The most selfish player that I've ever seen, does not disappoint.

I cant think of a stranger situation! I guess Toronto should start begging Vince Carter.

You do realize that the Canucks originally asked him to show up so they could put him in the ''ring of honor'' ? He didn't take too kindly to that, and who would blame him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad