Pavel Bure or McDavid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Pretty dumb thread. Obviously McDavid is several levels better than Bure, and McDavid is even faster.

Needless thread.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Pavel Bure was an amazing player... a true game-breaker. I loved him as a Canuck, he was entertaining, clutch and probably the best talent the team has ever been graced with.

And I'd take McDavid over him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: ehhedler

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Bure doing his best Sergei Berezin impersonation using Lidström as a rounding cone.

giphy.gif

Reactions: cmorly

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You must be too young to have seen Bure play. Watch some highlights on YouTube, the guy had two 60 goal campaigns and almost another two (58,59) in the dead puck era. Very close to winning a Cup for Vancouver too. He was such a strong skater not even the high clutch and grab era could stop him. The guy would tear it up today. Simply on another level.

Lol I've seen these highlights a thousand times and actually watched him live countless times during his actual career, but we're comparing him to 65 goal scorer Ovechkin in the modern era (unlike 60 in the early 90s which wasn't even close to the best total in 1992-93, he was bested by rookie Selanne by 16 goals and Mogilny by 16 goals in 7 less games. Lemieux had 69 in 60 but it's probably not fair mentioning him). Ovechkin has led the NHL in goals 6 times. McDavid is not only a faster skater than Bure, but he's also better in every other aspect of skating.

steleh

Nov 8, 2013
Overall play it's macdavid, of course. But calling someone who had 58 and 59 goals in the dead pick era a 2nd tier player is just plain dumb. Respect him for what he was, the fastest player of his era and an all time goal scoring talent.

Reactions: ehhedler

hcg

Oct 12, 2018
McDavid is 21 and looks like he's headed for a third consecutive award sweep.

Bure never won an Art, Hart or Lindsay and wasn't even remotely close to contending for them in a yearly basis even if you remove Lemieux or Jagr or whatever from the picture.
If you remove Jagr he would have won an art ross with Florida.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Nope. Ovechkin and McDavid.
Bure was scoring 60 when you couldn't make a two line pass. Ovi gets fed shots from the top of the circle all day. Sorry, but I think Ovi has a great one trick shot, but Bure was the better player. He just played in an era where others outshined him, vs. Ovi playing in an era where he outshines the pathetic competition. In the 80s and 90s, you could have a 30 goal scorer on your second or even third line. Today they make you out to be Rocket Richard if you get north of 30.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
You must be too young to have seen Bure play. Watch some highlights on YouTube, the guy had two 60 goal campaigns and almost another two (58,59) in the dead puck era. Very close to winning a Cup for Vancouver too. He was such a strong skater not even the high clutch and grab era could stop him. The guy would tear it up today. Simply on another level.

You're oblivious but that's OK ovis highlights are more impressive

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Bure was scoring 60 when you couldn't make a two line pass. Ovi gets fed shots from the top of the circle all day. Sorry, but I think Ovi has a great one trick shot, but Bure was the better player. He just played in an era where others outshined him, vs. Ovi playing in an era where he outshines the pathetic competition. In the 80s and 90s, you could have a 30 goal scorer on your second or even third line. Today they make you out to be Rocket Richard if you get north of 30.
That's because defense and goaltending were a clear Level below. Avg. Sv. Pct. Today is 920. Ovis highlight reel destroys bures. You probably didn't watch hockey from 2005-2010. You really missed a legendary goal scorer at his best

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

This reminds me of a fairytale I once heard as a young boy.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid brings the same "wow" entertainment factor in the style he plays but he also has that "generational superstar-ism" that Bure really didn't.

member 290103

In todays NHL, who would you rather start a team with? (Yes I realize they played different positions)

Canucks fan here and Bure is the best player they have ever had, but this is not even a comparison. Bure was a player that might not even be a top 10 winger of all time, whereas McDavid would appear to be a guy that may compete for one of the top 3 players ever.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Playoffs

13 GP - 9 PTS

Taking Bure until McDavid is putting up legendary playoff totals.

Bure's first playoffs

13GP - 10 PTS.

Considering that this was 1991-92 when scoring was waaaaaay higher, I'd say that's a wash and that's probably being generous. You put McDavid in 91-92 and I bet he exceeds 10 points in 13 games. Bure's "legendary playoffs" happened in his 3rd playoff season.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Bure was obviously a second tier guy if you compare him with players like Lemieux, Gretzky or Jagr, but then so would Selänne and Brett Hull and pretty much any other winger not named Jagr be (I don't care if Hull won a Hart Trophy, his center/linemate out-pointed him by a 0.21 PPG clip ratio that season which is quite a lot). And guys like Ciccarelli, Nieuwendyk, Andreychuk and Housley would be third tier guys.

I think that's how the poster meant it. McDavid's in the tier of guys with Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin, etc, whereas Bure is with the Hull, Selanne types. I think its fair to put them in different tiers because I see a clear separation

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I think that's how the poster meant it. McDavid's in the tier of guys with Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin, etc, whereas Bure is with the Hull, Selanne types. I think its fair to put them in different tiers because I see a clear separation

Yeah, I agree, but it's a strange thing from the start to compare centers/wingers like that, and from different eras, and with different strengths (scoring vs playmaking). Only thing they (McDavid/Bure) have in common is that both are/were fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->