Pavel Bure could play ... but won't be Russia's GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
According to Sovetsky Sport, Pavel Bure declined Alexander Steblin's offer to become Team Russia's general manager for the World Cup. Pavel declared "I'm under contract with the NY Rangers, I'm a professional hockey player, that's why I can't do any other job."
Then he added : "Will I go to the World Cup as a player? I don't think I will be included in the preliminary roster, although I'm planning to start skating in June".

Cool.

2 good news :

- Pavel is not the GM!!! Thanks God!
- Pavel could play :banana:

http://www.sovsport.ru/gazeta/default.asp?p=2&date=2004/5/18&id=153952

The full interview will be published later this week.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
wilka91 said:
no he's doing fine

I'm rather confused as well...I thought Bure was never going to play hockey again...at least not in the NHL...then again, if there is a lockout then I guess we may never see him again anyway...but if his health is fixed, then it's just a question of dealing with his contract...I would love to see him back in the NHL.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I don't know why everyone was talking about Bure's retirement ... actually he CAN play, but the problem was that he felt too much discomfort in his knee, that's why he decided not to play at the end of the 2002-2003 seasonm and missed this season. But I'm sure that one year off is exactly what he needed to come back. In the past he'd always come back too soon and re-injure his knee. That might change. He's still young.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
This coming from teh guy who was laughing about Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman playing for Team Canada.

At least they played SOME games this season!

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Mountie said:
This coming from teh guy who was laughing about Mario Lemieux and Steve Yzerman playing for Team Canada.

At least they played SOME games this season!

laughing about Mario? NO, never

Yzerman? yes. Pavel is more useful than Steve even if he's not playing :lol

mackdogs*

Mark me down for saying P. Bure will never play another game in the NHL.
I could see him going to Europe but he's proven his body can't handle this league.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
just to note, bure has an option year on his contract and there is NO WAY the rangers are going to pick up the option to pay him $11 mil next year. he will be given his $500k buyout...meaning that he is NOT under contract with the rangers (or atleast he won't be)...

if he can show he is healthy (which is EXTREMELY unlikely imo) then i'm sure the rangers would welcome him back for less $$...but i can't see them giving him $11 mil

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
this is all speculation people

nobody really knows what's with pavel's knees because it's never been told to the press / public

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
It wouldn't shock me if the Russian Rocket was back in the NHL next season and again challenging for the NHL goal scoring title, he has proven when healthy he is one of the best goal scorers of his era. And he isn't that old either, we're not talking Igor Larionov.

He could be a big weapon for the Russians at the WC if he can play.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
one last hurrah for the Rocket...

wilka91 said:
speculation rules!

Could be like Mario, one final Hurrah before retirement. Pavel's had quite a few knee operations, so I hope that he calls it a career soon so he can walk without any assistance or pain in 30 years.

I will say this about Pavel, he is extremely loyal to his native Russia. If he's physically up to it, he will play. Remember, he was the captain of the Nagano team that won Silver and single handedly beat the Finnish team in the Semi Finals.

Brett38

Feb 25, 2004
I remember this guy named Bobby Orr in 1976 playing for team Canada in the Canada Cup. He was Canada's best player skating around on one knee or was it a half a knee?

This was Orr's last swan song. He wasn't quite the same after.

Don't worry. I'm not equating Bure as another Orr, but can he make the World Cup his last real swan song?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I've always loved watchig Bure play and it would be awesome if he was able to play at the World Cup.....but on the other hand it sure would be nice to see Pronger crunch him into the boards :D

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Legolas said:
I'm rather confused as well...I thought Bure was never going to play hockey again...at least not in the NHL...then again, if there is a lockout then I guess we may never see him again anyway...but if his health is fixed, then it's just a question of dealing with his contract...I would love to see him back in the NHL.

Buresss a my hero , I grew up in the same place as him ... And I believe he will come back , not as good , but if he does Rangers are my team .

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Street Hawk said:
Could be like Mario, one final Hurrah before retirement. Pavel's had quite a few knee operations, so I hope that he calls it a career soon so he can walk without any assistance or pain in 30 years.

I will say this about Pavel, he is extremely loyal to his native Russia. If he's physically up to it, he will play. Remember, he was the captain of the Nagano team that won Silver and single handedly beat the Finnish team in the Semi Finals.

Please don't talk about that game. It still gives me nightmares. :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->