Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I present my 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film.

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
I don't, but I fail to see what makes defensemen these days so special. Or are you talking about overall systems? NHL hockey when Bure played was pretty brutal. Can you imagine Pat Kane and Johnny Gaudreau surviving in such a league?
Kane for one has much better vision he'd be fine

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't, but I fail to see what makes defensemen these days so special. Or are you talking about overall systems? NHL hockey when Bure played was pretty brutal. Can you imagine Pat Kane and Johnny Gaudreau surviving in such a league?

I don't recall commenting on the defensemen. But since you asked, the modern defenseman can skate better than most forwards. Of the defensemen you mentioned, let me just select Adam Foote. Slow.
Further, the quality of video and analytic preparation and the quality of coaching and defensive game planning is significant. Yea, old hockey was more brutal and a player like Kane might well have more trouble. Meanwhile there were star players in that era that couldn't keep up in this era. Tom Wilson would lap Cam Neely as an example.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Never really got to see Bure in his prime so this was awesome.

First thing I thought of was 'He moves like Barzal does'. He (and Matt) both have ridiculous skating ability thats just heads and shoulders better than everyone else. If only Barzy can learn to shoot like Pavel.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I don't recall commenting on the defensemen. But since you asked, the modern defenseman can skate better than most forwards. Of the defensemen you mentioned, let me just select Adam Foote. Slow.
Further, the quality of video and analytic preparation and the quality of coaching and defensive game planning is significant. Yea, old hockey was more brutal and a player like Kane might well have more trouble. Meanwhile there were star players in that era that couldn't keep up in this era. Tom Wilson would lap Cam Neely as an example.

I've never been a big fan of the linear approach, especially not when talking about such a small window of time. There's too many factors playing into it.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
One of my fave players of all time (Kariya, Selanne, and Bure). As a Ducks fan those Nucks jerseys are still my favorite ever. Great video!

davinhimself

Nov 9, 2009
Queens, NY
Kudos, nice showing.

Bure was awesome when I was young and learning about the sport of hockey after the Stars moved to Dallas; I listened to the ‘93-94 Stanley Cup Finals on whatever AM radio station played it.

The Dallas Stars, Pavel Bure and Teemu Selanne locked me as a fan of the sport of hockey.
You must be 35, because me too.

Reactions: Tmu84

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This guy played in the clutch and grab era. I would be hard pressed to believe that this guy couldn't score 100 goals a season in today's NHL.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Without the injuries he would have a career like Ovechkin. He was amazing.

I'd say probably better than Ovechkin as Bure had more tools in his toolbox. He could beat you so many different ways and was a much more explosive player than Ovy has ever been in his career.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
It was a very sad dark day in Canucks history when they traded Bure to the Panthers. What is the most remarkable is the fact Bure just about had back to back 60 goal seasons (58, 59) in a clutch and grab era with Lance Pitlick as his centerman and a dreadful Florida roster.

He only saw legit talent when he played in NY with Nedved and Lindros but he was near the end of his career at that time.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
Thank you all so, so much for your kind, generous words. I had dreamed about bringing this video to life and wanted to help remind everyone about the magic of Pavel Bure. I am so glad now that it's out there for everyone to enjoy. It was a blast to make.

A few of you have messaged me about the music selection. You can find a list of all of the songs used in the credits at the end of the video. Thank you all again.

I'm excited to continue working on new projects. I hope to have something new for you all soon.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
It was a very sad dark day in Canucks history when they traded Bure to the Panthers. What is the most remarkable is the fact Bure just about had back to back 60 goal seasons (58, 59) in a clutch and grab era with Lance Pitlick as his centerman and a dreadful Florida roster.

He only saw legit talent when he played in NY with Nedved and Lindros but he was near the end of his career at that time.

Also crazy that his 58 goal season came in 74 games, he could've scored damn near 65 in a similar scoring season to Ovechkin''s 65 goal season. I also remember reading that during this season he had a 26 game streak with 33 goals... that is beyond ridiculous for any era, but especially in the dead puck era... I think Bure is a generally underrated player in an all time sense mainly because of injuries and playing too much of his career in a low scoring era.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
what a beauty, my favorite player of all time along Ovechkin.

goal at 1min15 is probably the sickest goal i have ever seen.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Well, that's true, I cannot know that. But you used the word "but", which semantically means you didn't enjoy the music BUT enjoyed the highlights.

Yeah I recognized that hang up but hoped you wouldn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad