Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I present my 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film.

BeLeafInTheFuture

Jul 4, 2018
Scotland
Well that was absolutely breath taking, thank you so much for the time and effort you put into that. I got into the NHL in 91 as I remember getting it for the Mega Drive, but it was one of those things at the time, a Scottish boy of 4 years old liking ice hockey. You were told to like football growing up, so my mates never understood(and to this day still don't) understand my obsession with hockey.

I remember the highlight shows on Channel 5 over here and pretty much every week there was a Pavel Bure highlight reel goal, his skating was just something else, even watching this documentary, it was unreal and the amount of speed he could generate was literally god tier. I have never seen anyone go from a to b on the ice as quick as Bure and doubt I ever will, but what makes it more special is his stick handling skills and shot at top notch speeds.

You learn to appreciate the players of that generation who were just simply legendary and I'd hands down say that Bure, along with Jagr, were my two favourite players growing up, even as a young, naive Leafs fan. It's just a shame all those knee injuries piled up as we were without a doubt deprived of a truly amazing player who could've scored well over 1,000+ points in his career.

Reactions: lilmaxo

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nice work. Bure played a style I like. Very aesthetically pleasing. You don't see a lot of that anymore (neither did you in the 90s).

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
With today's NHL with no clutching, hitting era, Peak Bure would be the best player in NHL alongside with McDavid IMO. With no injuries or knees problem he would be 130+ point player.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
With today's NHL with no clutching, hitting era, Peak Bure would be the best player in NHL alongside with McDavid IMO. With no injuries or knees problem he would be 130+ point player.
Even better than McDavid. I would wager Peak Bure being better than Wayne.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Great work, OP. I liked the cheesy movie music very much too. Fits with the nostalgia.

Reactions: Se829ne

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Players today are better. Everyone now skates like the wind so he wouldn’t have a speed advantage, he’d also be too weak as players are far stronger now. The goalies are much better too, so his conversion rate would be mediocre. In today’s NHL he’d do well to hit 15-20 goals and would be a bottom 6 guy....

Of course it's all speculation but you don't do your view when you say "everyone now skates like the wind". Sure, guys like Connor, Kapanen and Larkin would have him beat but looks to me like he'd be faster than most guys these days.

Brings up a question though, did they do faster skater competitions back then? Or even time any players?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Of course it's all speculation but you don't do your view when you say "everyone now skates like the wind". Sure, guys like Connor, Kapanen and Larkin would have him beat but looks to me like he'd be faster than most guys these days.

Brings up a question though, did they do faster skater competitions back then? Or even time any players?

I really hope the poster you quoted was being sarcastic.

But yes, they've done the all-star skills competition since 1990.

Reactions: authentic

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Absolutely fantastic! I loved Bure back in the day. One of my favourite players. Imagine him today without any clutch and grab.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
Even better than McDavid. I would wager Peak Bure being better than Wayne.
Are you being factitious? Bure is legendary enough without our mythicizing him. Anyways this is an amazing post from OP, more players deserve this preservation of their play. It’s sad the league isn’t seemingly capable of this kind of work and I’m glad there’s fans out there dedicating the time.

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan

Can’t comment on the other two but having seen Larkin’s entire career he isn’t as explosive as Bure. If anyone AA is a better comparison.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I'll be honest. The background music in the first few minutes makes me feel like I'm going to get stabbed to death by a masked psychopath, but I do enjoy watching Bure highlights so it evens out.
What?! Are you kidding? That's called throat singing and it's even quite soft. It's an ancient, human singing method found in many Mongol and Nordic pagan cultures - and yes, even among the people that were slaughtered when North America was conquered. Psychopath? More of the opposite. It's absolutely beautiful. It speaks of heritage to me, but because I'm of Nordic heritage, maybe it's different.

Or what, you're going to proclaim this sounds awful as well?

Bloody brilliant, it speaks to your soul. And no, they don't sing about war. They sing about healing, but being forced to pick up the sword when the language of the sword entered their lands, with the madness and sorrow that followed. As for the female overtones, they're called "kulning" (07:43) in Swedish, also an ancient technique found in many old pagan cultures who once lived in the northern hemisphere of the globe, mainly to send messages over distant lands to other people and herding cattle. Or for singing like a siren at a party. Psychopath singing? We are the psychopaths.

As for the Bure video, that was brilliant, it gives me even more appreciation for how frigging (following the catholic rules here, don't want to get the ****s) good he was. Both he and Forsberg would've been legends if not for injuries, in their own ways. If I want a dream line to win a game, I start with Forsberg at center and Bure at wing. Pure monsters. Now I get sad they never played together.

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Are you being factitious? Bure is legendary enough without our mythicizing him. Anyways this is an amazing post from OP, more players deserve this preservation of their play. It’s sad the league isn’t seemingly capable of this kind of work and I’m glad there’s fans out there dedicating the time.
Well Peak Bure is the best player I've ever seen. I think he's should have been best NHL player of all time but his career was abysmal relative to his talent at his peak in Vancouver.

Last edited:

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I'm looking forward to watching this. Thanks for putting in the time and energy- and then sharing it with us!

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Well that was absolutely breath taking, thank you so much for the time and effort you put into that. I got into the NHL in 91 as I remember getting it for the Mega Drive, but it was one of those things at the time, a Scottish boy of 4 years old liking ice hockey. You were told to like football growing up, so my mates never understood(and to this day still don't) understand my obsession with hockey.

I remember the highlight shows on Channel 5 over here and pretty much every week there was a Pavel Bure highlight reel goal, his skating was just something else, even watching this documentary, it was unreal and the amount of speed he could generate was literally god tier. I have never seen anyone go from a to b on the ice as quick as Bure and doubt I ever will, but what makes it more special is his stick handling skills and shot at top notch speeds.

You learn to appreciate the players of that generation who were just simply legendary and I'd hands down say that Bure, along with Jagr, were my two favourite players growing up, even as a young, naive Leafs fan. It's just a shame all those knee injuries piled up as we were without a doubt deprived of a truly amazing player who could've scored well over 1,000+ points in his career.

Well I have some good news for you...

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Players today are better. Everyone now skates like the wind so he wouldn’t have a speed advantage, he’d also be too weak as players are far stronger now. The goalies are much better too, so his conversion rate would be mediocre. In today’s NHL he’d do well to hit 15-20 goals and would be a bottom 6 guy....
Bure would have the benefit of today’s technological advances that took place with equipment, training and medically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad