Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I present my 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Gawd, the Coliseum was electric when he touched the puck.

When it was on his stick from the offensive blue line back, you had to stand up to watch him - if nothing else because the person in front of you had stood up.

Any rush could be something unreal, the way he could turn nothing into something with his acceleration and puck handling at speed.

Reactions: Canuckle1970

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The craziest thing about Bure is he's already one of the best goal scorers and in my opinion players ever (not quite as good as Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid), but he actually looks even better than he was.

He was by far the most exciting player the canucks ever had.

I still remember his first night (I wasn't at the game) but like most hockey fans in Vancouver everyone knew how explosive and electric Bure was in that first game it was a buzz all over town (Only matched by the 2010 Olympic Gold in Vancouver in my 50 years) and Bure didn't even score but everyone in town shared the excitement of him as being a Canuck.

To use a hypothetical it would be like the buzz in Toronto if they won a SC winning game in the big smoke.

Reactions: authentic

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
The amazing thing about Bure is how "modern" he looks in his highlights. His stickhandling and shooting wouldn't look out of place in today's game.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The amazing thing about Bure is how "modern" he looks in his highlights. His stickhandling and shooting wouldn't look out of place in today's game.

His career did overlap with like 30-40 players who are still in the league today. The game hasn't really changed so much that 80'/90's stars couldn't play today, especially forwards. It's changed for sure and gotten faster, but the difference is still overblown by most people to some extent.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Thanks for this. In his prime one of the most electrifying players to ever play the game. Never played for a team I didn’t loathe, but I watched him whenever I could anyway because he was so unique, so creative, a true game-breaker.

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
His career did overlap with like 30-40 players who are still in the league today. The game hasn't really changed so much that 80'/90's stars couldn't play today, especially forwards. It's changed for sure and gotten faster, but the difference is still overblown by most people to some extent.
Where did I imply any of that? I'm talking about the aesthetics of his puck handling.

Last edited:
Reactions: hi

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
This was fantastic. Bure was the most exciting player I've ever seen in my hockey lifetime. Bobby Orr was sublime, a skating gazelle who changed the game. Bure was electrifying and he was our Canucks first ever superstar.

Thanks for doing this.

Reactions: klingsor

Marshy71

Nov 10, 2015
One of my favourite players growing up.

You, kind sir, have just made my day!

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Fantastic job!!

The one thing I hate, not with this video but with all older highlights, is that the quality is so bad when in reality if you watched these games on live TV, they looked really good and fans who are like under 30 or so don't have the chance to really appreciate how good a lot of historic teams and players were because of it.
It's because video tapes degrade unfortunately. Kids born in 2000 think our tvs in the 90's actually showed video in that degraded quality :laugh:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
So underrated. I don't know what happened to him but on the Canucks at his best he was one of the best players to ever play in this league and in the top 5 all time. He is better than McDavid is now on the Canucks at his best. And he was playing 2X speed of other players.

I wager that the Canucks peak Bure was better than Crosby, Ovechkin and McDavid very easily and with Gretzky and Lemieux and Lindros (peak).

I'd even wager that the best version of Bure was the best player in the history of the NHL. I have no idea what happened to him or who injured him I just remember he was unstoppable and like straight out of a video game playing 2X the speed of everyone else.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Bure is one of those players from the past that if he were somehow time traveled to present day I believe he'd be an elite player even against today's talent.

What amazed me beyond his unbelievable skating, skill with the puck and goal scoring ability was just how effortless he made it look. I know it's cliche, but with him it was so true. Just watch any random highlight goal he scored and it's just ... almost casual.

Thanks for sharing, saved to watch in it's entirety later.
Players today are better. Everyone now skates like the wind so he wouldn’t have a speed advantage, he’d also be too weak as players are far stronger now. The goalies are much better too, so his conversion rate would be mediocre. In today’s NHL he’d do well to hit 15-20 goals and would be a bottom 6 guy....

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

Bure was one of those players I regret never seeing live. He was highlight reel most nights, and had breathtaking speed. He’d consistently be at the top of the goal scoring charts and would be a major force in today’s NHL.

Thanks for the presentation, awesome stuff.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Bure would be a cheat code in today’s league, he’d make McDavid look like he’s skating in quicksand.

Reactions: LAINEC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->