Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time - I present my 85-minute retrospective, montage-style film.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019

This is a presentation I have wanted to create for quite a long time. I am proud to finally be able to share it with everyone. The film, titled Pavel Bure: A Rocket Through Time, is an 85-minute retrospective about the career of one of the NHL's most dynamic, electrifying, compelling figures of all time, Pavel Bure -- The Russian Rocket. There are many hockey films that communicate the history of their subjects through interviews and narration, but often a lack of footage of the players undermines the illustration of their impact on the sport. In the case of Pavel Bure, more often than not, people are only ever told about Pavel's tenacious, mesmerizing ways on the ice; most highlight reels only capture a small fraction of Bure's brilliance. Words and phrases such as "electrifying" and "he could bring people out of their seats" need to be reinforced with a corresponding visual representation. This feature is a non-stop show-and-tell of Bure's abilities as a player and his effect on the hockey world.

Over 300 of his goals at the NHL and international levels are on display here, as well as a plethora of other defining plays and attributes including his end-to-end rushes, assists, explosive body checks, forechecking, creative, improvised plays and intelligent decisions in all three zones. He was the complete package -- a sniper, playmaker, end-to-end rusher and warrior on the ice with a lethal goal-scoring instinct and an ability to elevate his game to even greater heights when the stakes were high. There were many additional nuances in Bure's game that were often overlooked during an era when the odd late-night highlight may have been all that many people saw of him. Many of those lesser-known elements are on display in this presentation.

Each stage of Bure's career is highlighted during the film, from his days with CSKA Moscow to his final days with the New York Rangers. The images are accompanied by a soundtrack of carefully-chosen excerpts from film scores and popular recordings of songs from the 1970s to 2000s designed to reflect the themes and tone of the events throughout Bure's story. It's a soundtrack for a star whose presence and aura transcended the sport. He became an idol to an entire generation and had a transformative influence on the hockey culture of the cities he played for, especially Vancouver. The phenomenon was known as Pavelmania, and the on-ice reasons for it are fully exhibited here.

Pavel Bure was a special player, once called unstoppable. He was the sixth-fastest player in NHL history to score 400 goals and continued to be a dominant force to the very end in spite of the injuries and challenges that robbed one of hockey's all-time greats of consistent opportunities. His jaw-dropping brilliance was a unique gift to the sport, and thus his legacy must not be lost with time.

Enjoy the presentation.

Last edited:

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Kudos, nice showing.

Bure was awesome when I was young and learning about the sport of hockey after the Stars moved to Dallas; I listened to the ‘93-94 Stanley Cup Finals on whatever AM radio station played it.

The Dallas Stars, Pavel Bure and Teemu Selanne locked me as a fan of the sport of hockey.

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Haven't got time to watch it all today, but great video that brings back the memories. I'll have to check it out later in full.

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Fantastic Work. Thanks a Lot☺️ Man, If IT wasn t for injurees Bure would bei considered the best goalscorer.

tom990

Jan 31, 2019
him and Mogilny were the fastest and purest skaters ever imo... their stand up style and still amazing speed was a joy to watch... unlike for instance ovechkin of today, with that hunched over ugly skating style

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Fantastic work.

Brings back a lot memories of watching him play, he was a special talent.

Reactions: Se829ne

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The craziest thing about Bure is he's already one of the best goal scorers and in my opinion players ever (not quite as good as Crosby/Ovechkin/McDavid), but he actually looks even better than he was.

Reactions: wetcoast

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Bure is one of those players from the past that if he were somehow time traveled to present day I believe he'd be an elite player even against today's talent.

What amazed me beyond his unbelievable skating, skill with the puck and goal scoring ability was just how effortless he made it look. I know it's cliche, but with him it was so true. Just watch any random highlight goal he scored and it's just ... almost casual.

Thanks for sharing, saved to watch in it's entirety later.

Reactions: snipes

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
I'll be honest. The background music in the first few minutes makes me feel like I'm going to get stabbed to death by a masked psychopath, but I do enjoy watching Bure highlights so it evens out.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Bure and Foppa

giphy.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Bure was probably the most electrifying player of the 90s, and it's a shame how Vancouver treated him. You could probably make a documentary on the whole fiasco that led to Bure's departure from Vancouver (not to mention the fact that Vancouver conducted some shady business to magically make Bure draft eligible in the first place with some doctored up game sheets).

It seems the seeds were planted in 1994 when some supposed rumor came out during the Cup Final series that Bure was holding Vancouver ransom for more money.

From the archives: Why Pavel Bure wanted out of Vancouver
In one discussion, he detailed years of pent-up frustration over the silence he’s maintained. The litany of neglect from Canucks management seems almost too absurd for words.

For starters, he first asked to be traded in 1993, five years and three months ago. But by far the most significant reason for wanting to leave came when, he said, somebody in Vancouver management made up a story that Bure threatened to withdraw his services during the ’94 playoff run to the Cup final.

“Somebody from management planted that story,” said Bure.

“They said I threatened not to play and it really pissed me off.

“It’s a lie,” said Bure with steel in his eyes. “I don’t want to say who did it because I don’t want to say what I don’t know. But I know one thing: I was promised to be traded. The contract was done before the playoffs even started. Ron (Bure’s former agent Salcer) agreed with Pat (former GM Quinn) before Calgary. But the story was put out all over and by the time it was denied by Pat Quinn and everybody else, it was too late. It looked like a cover-up.”

While Bure would in no way even indicate whom he thought it might be, reason would indicate it was either then-acting assistant GM George McPhee or then-owner Arthur Griffiths. Quinn has indicated to some insiders he was led to believe Bure had threatened to withdraw his services by “my guy” but now says privately and publicly it never happened.

“At that point I just decided to get out for good,” said Bure.

“It’s just not the way you should do business.”

Canucks-Bure relationship was bad from the beginning
Bure adamantly denies ever making that threat and what he’d really like to know is how the piece ever got legs.

Even if his agent at the time, Ron Salcer, had made such threats without his knowledge (which he says didn’t happen), how would those become public unless they had been leaked to somebody or some confidence had been broken by management or another player’s agent?

Bure has some strong suspicions as to how that story got going and sullied his reputation, so coming here to accept lesser status than Mr. Wonderful was not an option for him. And he may never come to Vancouver to honoured, although time heals all wounds and this will help.

The relationship between Bure and the Canucks got off to a rot-ten start right from the beginning, as the management team here seemed to think it had to control and dominate its players to keep them on their toes, and that philosophy started early. After he was drafted amid great dispute as to whether Vancouver should have been awarded his rights, he defected to California, where nobody from the team came to help him and his father Vladimir for weeks.

Then the team refused to pay the money to buy him out of his Russian contract so that he could play for Vancouver, asking him to cover a portion of it from the salary he would be paid. He was rookie of the year that first season in 1992 and played his guts out every night, yet the off-ice relationship between him and management seemed to get worse on a daily basis, even though he stayed quiet about everything until it was finally all over.

It was as if Pat Quinn and George McPhee thought he was a flash in the pan and that at any moment he would suddenly lose all his ability and be useless.

He was never treated as a star here, even though he was worth the price of admission every night and worth far in excess of players who were treated much better by the team.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
It seems the seeds were planted in 1994 when some supposed rumor came out during the Cup Final series that Bure was holding Vancouver ransom for more money.

lol ! don or any other serious media outlet today would be fired on the spot by lighting up rumours like this

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I'll be honest. The background music in the first few minutes makes me feel like I'm going to get stabbed to death by a masked psychopath, but I do enjoy watching Bure highlights so it evens out.

Lol I'm actually enjoying all the music throughout this entire video.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Fantastic job!!

The one thing I hate, not with this video but with all older highlights, is that the quality is so bad when in reality if you watched these games on live TV, they looked really good and fans who are like under 30 or so don't have the chance to really appreciate how good a lot of historic teams and players were because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->