Pavel Bure 5 goal game in 1998 Nagano Olympics (video)

GSK*

Oh god, i was youngr for sure 12 years old at that time, but man, i remember that game like it was yesterday. Its not for nothing he's my favorite players of all time, he accelerate like a Viper.

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
This truly brings back some memories! For most Finns they're painful memories, but I really enjoyed watching that game back then. Coast to coast hockey with both teams playing horrible defense (Finland in particular). Basically Lehtinen-Koivu-Selänne vs. Pavel Bure. The teams were quite evenly matched overall, but Bure's finishing was just that much more accurate that night.

Cors

Jan 17, 2006
nhl.mybb.ru
This truly brings back some memories! For most Finns they're painful memories, but I really enjoyed watching that game back then. Coast to coast hockey with both teams playing horrible defense (Finland in particular). Basically Lehtinen-Koivu-Selänne vs. Pavel Bure. The teams were quite evenly matched overall, but Bure's finishing was just that much more accurate that night.

agree 100%.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA

I concur as well. I don't know how there is a debate on whether Bure is a HHOFer.

I'm just suprised this was on ESPN Classics.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
The goaltenders and defenders were so awful in that game, but it was fun as hell to watch...

GravityGrave

Feb 5, 2005
Goal #2 is simply rediculous. He goes from a coasting pivot, receives a pass almost exactly at centre ice, and in no more than 3.5 seconds the puck is in the back of the net. Need I point out to those that claim the post-ACL tear Bure had lost his speed, that this is after the first knee reconstruction.

I remember this game like yesterday. Stayed up til 3 or 4 in the morning to watch it, was late for class the next day because of it. ;)

A career definining game for Bure, who despite the lingering image of a poor team player in the nhl, was the unquestionable leader of the Russian side (in both '98 and 02 - despite not having the C in the later tourney). Anyone who questions the heart/team play aspect of Bure's game hasn't seen how he played on the international stage.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
It's scary to think that Bure was much faster than this back on Vancouver.. he had slowed down due to his ****ed up knees.. what a talent.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
the fourth goal amazes me most. "look at the speed on this guy!"

he explodes twice, first when he gets past teppo then as he avoides the last backchecker.

unreal. what a sick talent.

tape-2-tape

Nov 8, 2005
NH
the fourth goal amazes me most. "look at the speed on this guy!"

he explodes twice, first when he gets past teppo then as he avoides the last backchecker.

unreal. what a sick talent.

His acceleration is amazing and he seems to have another gear over any other player out there. Flashes of how Orr used to leave em' in the dust while pulling away effortlessly. Great stuff for sure but man, where's the D on either team? :dunno:

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
the thing that Bure did that no one else could do (Ovechkin and Kovalev come close) was he could dangle while accelerating and going top speed, 90% of players just put the puck ahead or lose control.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I had a NHL highlights clip of Bure from around the 2000 season, got it originally on Kazaa like 3 or 4 years ago.

I lost it, but I bet you can find it on Limewire or Kazaa or some other music sharing program. It's even better the goals are even more sick on there, and there's an awesome remix of Firestarter by Prodigy as the background music. Uptempo and with an edge, the perfect kind of music for the clip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad