Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
The lofty expectations were created when he was in the KHL putting up numbers similar to Panarin, Kuznestov and the like

I’m just a little baffled that people are so quick to throw a player away for what seems like no reason

Well, i know for some people (wenevergetagoodpost comes to mind), the reason is that he's not a Good Ol' North American Boy™

Reactions: Kupo

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Also in response to someone who said he never seems to finish. When a guy like Buch is being largely effective in so many areas, is getting point on the board by burying some opportunities and setting up his teammates, I'm not that mad that guy misses a lot of opps while creating and helping close others.

A guy like Jimmy Vesey on the other hand? Someone so frustrating to be consistent and was pretty meh in a lot of areas, when he's getting many opportunities and only converting on 5-10% and not doing much else to help the scoreboard, now I feel like I'm looking at a wasted roster spot.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This may be over simplistic but my biggest gripe with Buch is that he seems to have the skill to create great opportunities for himself but can't finish. And I don't know if this is even a thing but it seems to me a composure rather than skill issue.
I think that this is what separates the complimentary ("dept") players from the top players. Which is what Buchnevich is. He is never going to be THE guy. He is the guy that can ride shotgun to top players or be a solid second line player. And that is just fine.

I do think that when Gorton looks to diversify the line up (compliment the skill with more north-south type players), he is one of the type of players that would be moved.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think that this is what separates the complimentary ("dept") players from the top players. Which is what Buchnevich is. He is never going to be THE guy. He is the guy that can ride shotgun to top players or be a solid second line player. And that is just fine.

I do think that when Gorton looks to diversify the line up (compliment the skill with more north-south type players), he is one of the type of players that would be moved.

There are room for both types of players on this team.

I'm not married to keeping Buchnevich, but if we're moving him, it should be in a package for something that is better than he is.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If Kreider does stay, maybe the bromance he has with Zibs becomes contagious....

Get Buch to work out with them, long-term... Get him to 6'3 210-215lbs...

An issue with Buch has always been he doesn't have that 'killer-instinct'. He has all the skill..

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
If Kreider does stay, maybe the bromance he has with Zibs becomes contagious....

An issue with Buch has always been he doesn't have that 'killer-instinct'. He has all the skill..
Him bulking up wont help the fact the kid is very hot or cold and flubs grade A chances every game.He is what he is at this point-an inconsistent middle 6 complimentary winger

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC

His biggest issue offensively is that his shot just doesn't beat NHL goalies with any regularity.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Him bulking up wont help the fact the kid is very hot or cold and flubs grade A chances every game.He is what he is at this point-an inconsistent middle 6 complimentary winger
I completely agree but I still think he can improve on that.

The strength would just make him that much better on the forecheck-cycle. Like I said he doesn't have that 'killer-isntinct'... Always hesitates to shoot

His biggest issue offensively is that his shot just doesn't beat NHL goalies with any regularity.
His shot is good enough.. he just never uses it when he should.

--

He has the skill to refine it into a weapon. If he will, that's a different story

Reactions: Musto

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Man Buch has 4 points in his last 18 games but that first quarter of the season he looked night and day from now. Pacing 60+ points, whether he could sustain that... he really did appear to be coming into his own. He seemed to be playing with a lot more confidence and decisiveness, the talent is definitely there though. I do think he's at an age where give him a couple more years of experience we'll see a more refined game and potential really come to fruition. Would be nice to see Kravstov come up and build some chemistry together

Reactions: Bread4Life

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
He's quietly been very good the past few games, regardless of what shows up on the scoresheet. He's been flat out flying and generating chances left and right, just can't buy a goal right now.

You're right - he's played well for 2 games. 2 out of 20. Too bad he doesn't feel compelled to tap into that gear unless he's scoreless for the month - and that's a huge problem I have with him: effort, consistent "compete level" , body language. He's an odd bird - and all too often an ineffective one.

And let me put this in terms that you will understand...

Panarin (4,823)
Zibanejad (3,947)
Buchnevich (0)

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
Buch is actually playing pretty well despite not being able to finish. However one thing that still annoys me is that he still gets the puck taken away from him far too easily, needs to be stronger on the puck. There were at least 4 times last night that he actually made a nice defensive play and had a chance for a breakout with Kreider or Mika and the puck was taken away immediately. I do feel adding some bulk may help but who knows

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Sign Kreids dump his inconsistent ass for picks. I am so done with Buchie. He will never be a good NHL Player.
He already is a pretty good NHL player. He's basically a 20-20 guy, or a 40-point guy, which is good. He's just a guy that seemingly could do so much more. And he tries to play defense, he tries to always play hard, so it's not like an effort thing. Sometimes he just slings the puck around like he has no clue what he is supposed to do.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The Rangers need more players like Buchnevich. Depth guys who can step into a top 6 role and ride shotgun when needed. Perhaps most importantly, this is a guy that has gone through some adversity and come out on the other side to better himself as a player. With the Andersson and Kravtsov situations, we shouldnt take that for granted.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
What's wrong with him, Chytil and Kravstov as a line next year? I'd rather have him on the 2nd or 3rd line than Fast.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
What's wrong with him, Chytil and Kravstov as a line next year? I'd rather have him on the 2nd or 3rd line than Fast.

Chytil and Kravtsov are both left-shooting transition-oriented forwards, I feel like putting them together would be a little redundant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->