Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Buch makes more than enough of "good plays". Great plays. But during the 2nd we also saw a good example why he is not a lock in the lineup. At 8:05 left of the second period, during the second half of a shift he mishandles the puck at the offensive blue line. We are pushed back and he is caught completely gassed on the ice for a long shift. He was not in control at all defensively, lost his composure. The shift ended with Grabner skating up ice being thrown into the boards by Davidsson.

I am not saying this shift is a major problem and that he shouldn't see the ice because of it. Plenty of players make mistake. But Buch's work along the boards is not good -- yet. There is "20x" the amount of board work in the NHL compared to the KHL. He is also a bit weak physically. In some situations, you just want a player to be much more assertive in a specific situation than what Buch was in that play starting at 8:05 in the second. And Buch has that tendency a few times per game at least.

No doubt, he has all the ability to become a player that makes great offensive plays and contributes offensively in the NHL. But, as of today, he is also not quite there along the boards. Don't get me wrong, I really like the kid, but Vesey for example does these things much better than Buch.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yeah Buch need some time to adapt to a new system and league, and his physic will improve over the next seasons.
JT Miller had similar issues some seasons ago - he struggled defensive in AV defensive system.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's been excellent, shown more than enough to make one think he'll be a first line forward, possibly like a 70 point per season player.

OTOH, the coach punted on the rest of his regular season. When he was doing well, the coach decided lack of visual intensity in his defensive play was reason enough to move him down to the fourth line, send him to the AHL, scratch him, give him no consistent role where he or any skilled NHL top 6 forward could succeed. Hopefully the coach can now just leave him on the line he's on, and allow him to play.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Some strong adjectives being used for Buchnevich's play; I dont think I'd describe it above "good."

That said, his presence seemed to give Zibanejad a pulse, so Ill take it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Tanner Glass was asked how he felt being scratched for Buch and said: 'Everyone knows I'm not known for my offensive prowess. I'm happy for Buch. He had a really good game'.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tanner Glass was asked how he felt being scratched for Buch and said: 'Everyone knows I'm not known for my offensive prowess. I'm happy for Buch. He had a really good game'.

link? Glass is a class human being from everything I've read, wouldn't expect anything less.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

No surprises there. Tanner isn't going to complain. No doubt he's just happy to be back on Broadway at this point. Plus he's a good team guy and is not one to rock the boat or create drama. His response to the question was perfect.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, he looked composed, and make heady plays. He's a smart player, and needs to be out there.

I like what he brings to the table in a big game.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Yeah, he looked composed, and make heady plays. He's a smart player, and needs to be out there.

A few years ago in a World Junior game he was by far the best player on the ice . He made the Canucks take two penalties because of his smarts and skills . I knew then we had a good one coming .

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
The organization should be keeping him happy and communicate constantly with him , not like he hasn't deserved more ice time. Worries now might be that he pulls a Tryamkin, and goes back to the KHL if unhappy.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
The organization should be keeping him happy and communicate constantly with him , not like he hasn't deserved more ice time. Worries now might be that he pulls a Tryamkin, and goes back to the KHL if unhappy.

He's not going anywhere, thank you for your concern though.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
yes

the more he plays, the more comfortable he gets. you can just see it. when Buch gets stronger and gets his man strength he is going to be a dynamite winger. I see 70-75 pt potential. great vision, electric shot that he needs to use more, above average passing skills and he plays the game the right way. He has Kuznetsov, kucherov talent. not saying he will be as good as either, but you know what I mean. the talent is there and it is a pleasure seeing him grow before our eyes

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He's been real good with the puck in the offensive zone, real good at waiting to make passes but not waiting too long. That pass to Mikka that Kreider then wiffed on the open net...that was a seriously great pass. I'msure he could get better defensively and all but his game in the offensive zone is real on point, he'll be putting up points soon if he keeps this up

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
A great game tonight - he created a pp too - promising! ))

trilobyte

NYR Fan In the Foothills
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
The more Buch plays the better his timing will be.
Plus, he will get another summer of conditioning in this year. He is so talented you keep seeing him do really good things that come quite easy for him. He covers a lot of ice without even looking like it is effort. Fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad