Sportsnet: Paul Romanuk

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Never really like his voice or game calling. I'm not Bowens biggest fan but at least the guy was/is entertaining. His problem was his insane tangents. I don't need to hear about how trashed you were every night Joe.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Bowen is terrible. Guy can't go 20 seconds without talking about some nonsense and laughs like a fool in the middle of the game. PR is a breath of fresh air. At least he creates actual hockey discussions. Just get rid of Millen, the guy basis everything on "confidence".

No more Holy Makinaw! Hooray!

:yo:
:naughty:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
honestly does not make a difference to me. I can distinguish each player from the next easily myself. IF you can do this it really should not matter.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Romanuk has been out of the loop for a bit but I remember him calling some NHL games in the past (on TSN IIRC).

He's ok. At least he's not yelling everytime there's a centring pass or a Leaf has the chance to touch the puck.

Bowen's done and I'm fine with that. Now can we get Andy Frost off of Leafs talk next?

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Last year, people disliked Bowen called him too much of a homer and all he does is laugh. Now that he's off TV, people want him back. Its unfortunate how ignorant people are about Romanuk and complaining about him making mistakes. The guy's lived over in England for 7 years, try living there and keeping up with NHL hockey having to watch games at midnight or later. Hell, try actually watching a hockey game over there you wont find that many options over there

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Last year, people disliked Bowen called him too much of a homer and all he does is laugh. Now that he's off TV, people want him back. Its unfortunate how ignorant people are about Romanuk and complaining about him making mistakes. The guy's lived over in England for 7 years, try living there and keeping up with NHL hockey having to watch games at midnight or later. Hell, try actually watching a hockey game over there you wont find that many options over there

How do you know those are the same people?

I have no issue with his errors, although as a Professional he should have prepared himself better, it's his lack of enthusiasm that's the issue.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I thought the Wings announcers did a great job last night.
Been a long time since I watched a Leaf game listening to the opponents broadcast.

I did it mostly all last year. it's fun. A: you learn things about your team you never knew and b: for the most part you actually hear nice things about your team.

Darkside Blue

There/They're/Their
Feb 17, 2014
Been a long time since I watched a Leaf game listening to the opponents broadcast.

I can't echo this sentiment enough. As I watched the Wings announcers I couldn't help thinking how much they completely outclassed the 3 Stooges on the HNIC broadcast, and how ironic that a regional Fox broadcast was so much better than the flagship, national broadcast of the CBC.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
Play-by-play announcers are such a dated idea... They were useful when broadcasts were poor quality, but today we should just have the option to turn them off. I want the option to hear only the on-ice sound.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Don't like him very much but I also loved Bowen. I was very confused in overtime when he called Kessel, JVR. I knew JVR was fast but for a second I thought he added another notch :laugh:

Metal God

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Bowen please.

I hate when Romanuk stops announcing the play for a few seconds. A few plays already made in this time. He does this many times during the game.

Annoying.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Liked him. Pretty straight forward, a little humor here and there and gets exited when anyone scores. Pretty neutral guy and I like him better than most.

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012

yes but it's his job. He should have watched tapes and practiced over them all summer.

At least he could memorize the leafs players and their number. At the very least......

Feb 24, 2004
Bowen please.

I hate when Romanuk stops announcing the play for a few seconds. A few plays already made in this time. He does this many times during the game.

Annoying.

So you'd prefer he just keep talking non stop?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario

Ken Daniels used to work in Toronto, and Mickey Redmond knows hockey. He would have been very famous if it weren't for a back injury. Retired at 28 after having become only the third player to score back to back 50 goal seasons. Played on a line with Delvecchio for his first 50 goal season then Marcel Dionne for his second. He was entering into perennial 40-50 goal scorer range when his injury happened. Always liked that guy and thought it was a shame he had to retire.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013

interesting! this explains why he doesn't seem himself

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Play-by-play announcers are such a dated idea... They were useful when broadcasts were poor quality, but today we should just have the option to turn them off. I want the option to hear only the on-ice sound.

That might work for those people who three hours to waste staring at their TV but many people are doing other things while watching the game. And for those people, the play by play is incredibly useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad