Confirmed with Link: Paul Postma to Bruins. 1 yr $725k

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
My thought on the Postma signing is they wanted a right handed defensemen in reserve. Let's assume they go into next year with the defense they have now.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Miller-McQuaid (side note, if McQuaid can't play with Miller they have to move him, we need Krug, McAvoy and Carlo in the top 4).

After that the Bruins have a bunch of AHL guys they can call up but all are left handed, but no one who is right handed. And lets face it McQuaid is gonna miss some time.

people get too uptight with labels... it comes down to finding fits... both for on ice and caproom

we know the team wants to play guys on their strong side... so thats one factor

then some guys play special teams... some dont

the team likes to pair a vetern with a kid to cover up mistakes and help development

the logic of these factors suggest chara/carlo will see time together. both figure to be our top shutdown guys and top pk guys...

krug will benefit having someone with size... either mcquaid or miller suit the bill here. krug will get extra time on pp but should be ptotected as far as 5x5 zone startd go

mcavoy might be our best dman but for now we can call him bottom pair. i expect chara to see some time with mcavoy but this is our current hole. kevan miller will end up here on his weak side if theres no changes

in none of this projection does postma end up better than our 7th dman.

but what we see here is 5 right shot dmen and only 2 left. this ONLY MAKES SENSE IF there is plans to trade a rhs dman

my prediction is the team will move one of miller/mcquaid/carlo and fill his spot with a lhs dman. postma is signed as injury depth along with OGara. lauzon and zboril get to develop in ahl so one can replace chara when needed

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
people get too uptight with labels... it comes down to finding fits... both for on ice and caproom

we know the team wants to play guys on their strong side... so thats one factor

then some guys play special teams... some dont

the team likes to pair a vetern with a kid to cover up mistakes and help development

the logic of these factors suggest chara/carlo will see time together. both figure to be our top shutdown guys and top pk guys...

krug will benefit having someone with size... either mcquaid or miller suit the bill here. krug will get extra time on pp but should be ptotected as far as 5x5 zone startd go

mcavoy might be our best dman but for now we can call him bottom pair. i expect chara to see some time with mcavoy but this is our current hole. kevan miller will end up here on his weak side if theres no changes

in none of this projection does postma end up better than our 7th dman.

but what we see here is 5 right shot dmen and only 2 left. this ONLY MAKES SENSE IF there is plans to trade a rhs dman

my prediction is the team will move one of miller/mcquaid/carlo and fill his spot with a lhs dman. postma is signed as injury depth along with OGara. lauzon and zboril get to develop in ahl so one can replace chara when needed

Postma said himself he can play both sides.

Pittsburgh won a cup using 5 lefties and 1 righty, sure its nice to have perfect left-right combos, but at the end of the day, it depends on the individual player whethet they are comfortable playing their off-side or not.

Postma is a fairly experienced well-rounded D-man who provides NHL caliber depth on a affordable one-year contract. That's it, there is nothing else to read or interpret about this signing nor does it provide any clues as to future moves.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI

What else would he say? I'm strictly a right side defenseman? :laugh:

Pittsburgh won a cup using 5 lefties and 1 righty, sure its nice to have perfect left-right combos, but at the end of the day, it depends on the individual player whethet they are comfortable playing their off-side or not.

It's much more common for lefties to play their weak side due to the natural lefty-righty ratio (more lefties). Most have probably seen a fair amount of time on both sides, especially during development stages. A lot of RHD have strictly played the right side for their entire hockey careers, with a few exceptions. It's a strange and unique situation. Hey Paul and Kevan, I know you're almost 30 years old, but you're both now left side defenseman. It's not as seamless as people think IMO. The 5 or 10 games Miller played there does not make him a LD.

Postma is a fairly experienced well-rounded D-man who provides NHL caliber depth on a affordable one-year contract. That's it, there is nothing else to read or interpret about this signing nor does it provide any clues as to future moves.

I don't know what to think of this, but a 6-7th D who is a LHD makes a million times more sense than Paul Postma. And it's not like one of those last minute before training camp deals. Obviously a guy they targeted and obviously the player thinks he has a chance to prove himself here.... which is strange given the fact the's the 5th best RHD on the roster.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

be prepared for a move me thinks... lets continue this when the season starts

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What else would he say? I'm strictly a right side defenseman? :laugh:

It's much more common for lefties to play their weak side due to the natural lefty-righty ratio (more lefties). Most have probably seen a fair amount of time on both sides, especially during development stages. A lot of RHD have strictly played the right side for their entire hockey careers, with a few exceptions. It's a strange and unique situation. Hey Paul and Kevan, I know you're almost 30 years old, but you're both now left side defenseman. It's not as seamless as people think IMO. The 5 or 10 games Miller played there does not make him a LD.

I don't know what to think of this, but a 6-7th D who is a LHD makes a million times more sense than Paul Postma. And it's not like one of those last minute before training camp deals. Obviously a guy they targeted and obviously the player thinks he has a chance to prove himself here.... which is strange given the fact the's the 5th best RHD on the roster.

It is more common for lefties to play the right. Mostly because there are simply more of them.

Sure, they are still in the market for a LD, no doubt.

But any notion that one of Carlo/McAvoy/Miller/ is now more likely to move because the Bruins signed Postma to a one-year deal is flat out crazy. If anything, it gives them options if they find themselves in a real cap bind and need to move McQuaid's deal.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
What do you mean?

Sorry about the delay in response to this.

I mean that he's a fringe NHL defenseman signed to a seemingly no-risk contract who is weak defensively and somewhat one-dimensional offensively. People are correct that the risk is low, but the upside/potential impact is extremely limited.

Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Irwin and absolutely suck for two games and get sent down. Relative to the Boston fanbase, I don't consider myself overly pessimistic and I do have hope he will be a nice addition. But, I can also see it being a letdown, however small a letdown it can be.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Hows Postma looking so far this season?

Postma been pretty mediocre when in there. He is what he is; a 7th defenseman..... He's slow footed and gets beat easily. He Averages around 11 minutes a night when in there, and played around 9 minutes in his last game before they recalled Rob O'Gara and inserted him into the lineup.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
like a guy who should have been on a 2way contract... if he helps ahl do something at their playoff time then I wont shed any tears over this signing but honestly we could have kept matt Irwin or even Zach Trotman around if this was all we wanted in the lineup

Or Joe Morrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad