Confirmed with Link: Paul Postma to Bruins. 1 yr $725k

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Most of our posters have done a good job filling you in on Paul. I will add a couple more tidbits.

Your smarter fans will like him your dumber fans will not :naughty: (ok I kid). Keep your expectations in check he is a solid 5-6 type but the market place thinks he is a 6-7. Every time he had to play up in the top 4 and was paired with a skilled player like Enstrom or Morrissey (think Krug) he thrived. Give him another slick puck mover and it seems to bring the best out in him. On the flip side he usually played on the bottom pairing with Junk like Chiarot or a fading Stu and those were tough situations and he could look less than perfect.

Like all bottom pairing guys you are dealing with flaws and Paul can struggle in his own zone a bit and isn't physical for his size but what he does well.....skate, move the puck, produce offense 5v5 per 60 he does quite well.

I always liked Posty and he was the best of our worst group but he also had his mouth breathing detractors so proceed with caution. Sucks for Paul he is back in a place with too many right handers but oh well.

Nice pick up wish he was still a Jet.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Thanks to all the Jets fans for the advanced scouting report. Sounds like Postma is a good depth pickup for us, which fills a need.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I dont think there will be much of a logjam as the season progresses, we saw how quick D's can go down. Let camp come and see who stands out and takes a spot.
If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mcquaid, K.Miller, and Chara missing chunks of time next season.
Mcquaid is a given to have a freak injury, K.Miller due to his rough play like Mcquaid just makes it more likely he will get banged up at some point.
Chara another year older, I hope he can stay healthy but I assume at some point he may have some nagging injuries or need a rest.

Chara-Krug-Mcquaid-K.Miller-Carlo-McAvoy-Postma-O'Gara..then maybe a surprise in Lauzon or Zboril...then Grzelcyk, Johansson and Cross in Providence. I actually...like our D. I have no issues carrying lots of depth because as we saw in the playoffs, injuries will strike and it's better to have a few depth options then be stuck throwing out Tommy Cross in a playoff game.

All too true. McQ's heart is in the right place but man he can really find new and creative ways to kill himself. Chara can go either way but being that he's another year older with the same damaged knee doesn't bode well for the captain. Killer will go to throw a punch and throw out his shoulder instead. I'm a little curious to know if there were any LHD available of the same ilk, but at that price I guess he's good insurance.

Postma was just starting to mature as a defenseman. This was a very shrewd pickup. The kid skates like the wind, plays a good puck moving game.

Good to know thanks. We lost two d-men that some here weren't too high on so now maybe we have someone new to needlessly trash in their place? Hopefully for him and the B's he'll blossom into the next phase of his career (here).

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One last thing B's fans. For a bottom pairing player Postma was hotly debated on our board and it seems like you are getting too large a sample size of the pro Postma crowd (trying to be balanced). Mind you I doubt most of his haters are aware there are other team sites and quite frankly I am shocked they found HFBoards in the first place with the crappy reception they must get in a cave (a little less balanced but still accurate). ;)

The crappy part for Paul though is, like Winnipeg, he is a depth piece for you guys if injuries occur to your right side. Last year with Myers missing all but 11 games it opened the door for Postma. I am mildly surprised another team who needs a puck moving bottom pairing RHD man didn't step up.

Oh this is a decent recap for you guys:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/05/23/pilots-logbook-paul-postma-2016-2017/

Last edited:

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Are people here really anticipating a trade of a RD because the Bruins signed Paul $&@"$ Postma? Really?

This place sometimes.

He's depth, he could easily end up in Providence. He might be a 7th D if no prospects are ready, 8th if a prospect is ready.

His signing has zero impact on any future moves.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Are people here really anticipating a trade of a RD because the Bruins signed Paul $&@"$ Postma? Really?

This place sometimes.

He's depth, he could easily end up in Providence. He might be a 7th D if no prospects are ready, 8th if a prospect is ready.

This. :laugh:

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
his AHL numbers look great in the past, similar to how Boychuk was dominating the AHL waiting to get a real chance to play.

The more I'm reading about Postma the more I like this signing. He could maybe be a real hidden gem.

This is how you find those Boychuk gems, guys who are on the verge of taking their game to the next level, they just need a chance.

Postma got great size, skates well. Has put up 45 point and 44 point AHL seasons with 12 and 13 goals. Boychuk was at a similar place in his career dominating the AHL, had 20 goals and 45 assists his season in Providence.

Anyway, potential aside, Postma seems like a good depth guy to have around.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This is the kind of signing that fans will appreciate a lot come playoff time if there are injuries to d-men. From indications of folks who have seen him play a lot Postma perhaps still has not hit his ceiling. Adding someone like Postma on the cheap is very low risk with the potential to be decent reward.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
his AHL numbers look great in the past, similar to how Boychuk was dominating the AHL waiting to get a real chance to play.

The more I'm reading about Postma the more I like this signing. He could maybe be a real hidden gem.

This is how you find those Boychuk gems, guys who are on the verge of taking their game to the next level, they just need a chance.

Postma got great size, skates well. Has put up 45 point and 44 point AHL seasons with 12 and 13 goals. Boychuk was at a similar place in his career dominating the AHL, had 20 goals and 45 assists his season in Providence.

Anyway, potential aside, Postma seems like a good depth guy to have around.

Morrow = Postma each needed new opportunity

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

This place sometimes.

Don't kid yourself. DS was expecting/hoping to lose one of our slower D to expansion! He brought this guy in to not only cover for the inevitable injury to one or all of our glass RD but to hopefully knock one of these guys out of the lineup! I could see DS trading a RD to LVGK for a lesser known LD to start the season.

HeartsAlive

Apr 11, 2013
I like the signing, like the player, and feel really good about it after reading what 'Peg fans had to say about him. But unless there is another RD going out (hopefully not named Brandon or Charlie) I just don't see the need for it. I would have much preferred a LD coming in for the extra depth. We'll see how the rest of the offseason shapes up, but Krug plays through a lot of injuries and Chara is going to be 40, I'd love to see a left shot that can slot up from the 3rd pair if needed.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like the signing, like the player, and feel really good about it after reading what 'Peg fans had to say about him. But unless there is another RD going out (hopefully not named Brandon or Charlie) I just don't see the need for it. I would have much preferred a LD coming in for the extra depth. We'll see how the rest of the offseason shapes up, but Krug plays through a lot of injuries and Chara is going to be 40, I'd love to see a left shot that can slot up from the 3rd pair if needed.

my guess, and it`s only a guess is Potsma said he`s comfortable on the left side, said he played there for two years I believe while at Yale, hasn`t done it for a while but he can play it

i`ll try and find the link for the article where he stated this, it may very well be in this thread

found it, sorry, it was while playing Junior not at Yale

“I played with Michael Stone, who just signed in Calgary, when we were in junior (Swift Current) on the left and we played quite well together, so I have done it in the past and I feel like I could play that position,” said Postma, who underwent sports hernia surgery after the season but expects to be ready for camp. “Obviously I haven’t done it in a few years. I’m going to practice it for the rest of the summer and I’m looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...ney_scoops_up_minor_pieces_makes_no_big_deals

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
My thought on the Postma signing is they wanted a right handed defensemen in reserve. Let's assume they go into next year with the defense they have now.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Miller-McQuaid (side note, if McQuaid can't play with Miller they have to move him, we need Krug, McAvoy and Carlo in the top 4).

After that the Bruins have a bunch of AHL guys they can call up but all are left handed, but no one who is right handed. And lets face it McQuaid is gonna miss some time.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
My thought on the Postma signing is they wanted a right handed defensemen in reserve. Let's assume they go into next year with the defense they have now.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Miller-McQuaid (side note, if McQuaid can't play with Miller they have to move him, we need Krug, McAvoy and Carlo in the top 4).

After that the Bruins have a bunch of AHL guys they can call up but all are left handed, but no one who is right handed. And lets face it McQuaid is gonna miss some time.

But they have four right side defenseman anyway (not including Postma). If a lefty comes up or into the lineup, you shift Miller back to the right side where I'm sure he's more comfortable. The whole glut of 3rd pairing RHD is perplexing to me. It just doesn't seem like an ideal situation.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...can-play-both-right-and-left-sides-for-bruins

“To be honest, it’s not something I’m used to,” said Kevan Miller, whose previous experience on the left side was limited to emergency situations at the University of Vermont, or at AHL Providence, or in the NHL with the Bruins, for whom he played his first games in 2013-14. “It’s obviously very different than playing on the right side, so I’m not sure if ‘comfortable’ is the right word.”

If I'm not mistaken it was mostly Colin playing the left side in the new year. Given his puck skills and skating, he's more suited to play his off-side than someone like McQuaid or Miller IMO. Again though you are in experimental territory with much of these guys having only emergency experience playing the left side as right handed defenseman.

Last edited:

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I dont think there will be much of a logjam as the season progresses, we saw how quick D's can go down. Let camp come and see who stands out and takes a spot.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mcquaid, K.Miller, and Chara missing chunks of time next season.

Mcquaid is a given to have a freak injury, K.Miller due to his rough play like Mcquaid just makes it more likely he will get banged up at some point.

Chara another year older, I hope he can stay healthy but I assume at some point he may have some nagging injuries or need a rest.

Chara-Krug-Mcquaid-K.Miller-Carlo-McAvoy-Postma-O'Gara..then maybe a surprise in Lauzon or Zboril...then Grzelcyk, Johansson and Cross in Providence. I actually...like our D.

I have no issues carrying lots of depth because as we saw in the playoffs, injuries will strike and it's better to have a few depth options then be stuck throwing out Tommy Cross in a playoff game.

This

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This guy really, really struggles defensively. Teams even targeted him defensively in the AHL.

That said, he was miscast as a defensive defenseman in Winnipeg and paired with the wrong guys.

Maybe if he's put with a strong defensive partner (McQuaid/Miller) and given a longer leash, he can put up some offensive numbers because he's capable of way more than what he's shown.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
This is the kind of signing that fans will appreciate a lot come playoff time if there are injuries to d-men. From indications of folks who have seen him play a lot Postma perhaps still has not hit his ceiling. Adding someone like Postma on the cheap is very low risk with the potential to be decent reward.

Agree!

One last thing B's fans. For a bottom pairing player Postma was hotly debated on our board and it seems like you are getting too large a sample size of the pro Postma crowd (trying to be balanced). Mind you I doubt most of his haters are aware there are other team sites and quite frankly I am shocked they found HFBoards in the first place with the crappy reception they must get in a cave (a little less balanced but still accurate). ;)

The crappy part for Paul though is, like Winnipeg, he is a depth piece for you guys if injuries occur to your right side. Last year with Myers missing all but 11 games it opened the door for Postma. I am mildly surprised another team who needs a puck moving bottom pairing RHD man didn't step up.

Oh this is a decent recap for you guys:

https://jetsnation.ca/2017/05/23/pilots-logbook-paul-postma-2016-2017/

Thank you for ^this^.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I think a lot of you are minimising this signing. No doubt for a week his agent called 30 teams and asked if there was an NHL role for Postma. The fact that the B's signed him so quickly does say something.

Also he played very well with Adam Pardy. Those guys would have 60% corsi together in a limited role.

Edit: no chance Postma clears waivers either.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->