Confirmed with Link: Paul Postma to Bruins. 1 yr $725k

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
smart signing, this is what I wanted to see. Grab depth guys who can play for cheap.

I like it. Dont mind if the Bruins have a quiet day.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I imagine he's our 7th dman. We aren't moving someone to make room for him

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
This one doesn't make sense to me. Most right shot D have little experience on the left side. I think you are getting into trouble with a 5/2 ratio of RD/LD. I hope it works out. Just wouldn't be my ideal scenario.

They've even commented publicly how they've been seeking a left shot defenseman. How they are right shot heavy on the big club. And then this? Maybe they just really like the player because the fit doesn't seam right, for the player or the club IMO.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm thinking this means either McQuaid goes to create cap space (for a minor trade?) or Carlo goes in a trade for a bigger UFA.

definitely feels like one of the other right shot dmen will get moved.. im guessing either carlo or miller goes... other stays

depth chart becomes

mcavoy
miller or carlo
mcquaid
postma

then on left side we still have the hole
chara
krug
unproven kid

cap management is very important so i like getting a vet for this cheap.. but we dont want him playing when hes a vet this cheap. vets this cheap dont play good enough to warrent playing regular mins

i wonder if vancouver will pop up in the trade rumors now? they are making alot of moves and weve been rumored to like edler for a few years now. supposedly they like spooner. and they can eat contract

colorado can also eat contract on duchesne

do we move spooner and a kid like zboril or lauzon to vancouver for edler at 50%
and then
carlo, heinen, belesky, and our 2018 first for duchense with maybe 2 mill retained? maybe include one more asset?

if we arent planning to trade a rhs dmen this signing is a little confusing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I watch the Jets a bit but honestly didn`t really notice him which isn`t necessarily a bad thing, plus player on a team who weren`t exactly defensive beasts.

Didn`t cost much, seems ok to me but like others have stated, if I were a betting man, this was a precursor to a move

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I like this signing and don't know if it necessarily means more moves are on the way.

They lost depth when Vegas snagged C. Miller. Carlo ran out of gas as his first pro season wore on and the same will likely happen to McAvoy; and some of the defensive regulars have a history with injury.

Postma provides nice depth, and good competition in camp.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
"Obviously, I was a little nervous about the whole day. I've been with the Jets for five years and that organization for 10," said Postma, who acknowledged he feels comfortable playing either the left or the right side.

"Definitely something different for me... I feel like there's a better opportunity in Boston. I can't say enough good things about that organization, everything about it. I'm just really excited to get there and try to help the team in any way I can."

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bru...nings-on-first-day-of-free-agency/c-290267932

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I like this signing and don't know if it necessarily means more moves are on the way.

They lost depth when Vegas snagged C. Miller. Carlo ran out of gas as his first pro season wore on and the same will likely happen to McAvoy; and some of the defensive regulars have a history with injury.

Postma provides nice depth, and good competition in camp.

I don`t know, there will be a log jam on D IMO, those who are signed, a kid or two who might push for a spot. Can`t keep the kids buried in Providence if one of them or two show they are ready.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
I don`t know, there will be a log jam on D IMO, those who are signed, a kid or two who might push for a spot. Can`t keep the kids buried in Providence if one of them or two show they are ready.

I dont think there will be much of a logjam as the season progresses, we saw how quick D's can go down. Let camp come and see who stands out and takes a spot.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mcquaid, K.Miller, and Chara missing chunks of time next season.

Mcquaid is a given to have a freak injury, K.Miller due to his rough play like Mcquaid just makes it more likely he will get banged up at some point.

Chara another year older, I hope he can stay healthy but I assume at some point he may have some nagging injuries or need a rest.

Chara-Krug-Mcquaid-K.Miller-Carlo-McAvoy-Postma-O'Gara..then maybe a surprise in Lauzon or Zboril...then Grzelcyk, Johansson and Cross in Providence. I actually...like our D.

I have no issues carrying lots of depth because as we saw in the playoffs, injuries will strike and it's better to have a few depth options then be stuck throwing out Tommy Cross in a playoff game.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Think he's a 7th D or Providence bound.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

The dude is big and can skate. I love that comtbo.

Seemed to get burned a lot... But I wonder what working with our coaching staff can do for him.

One thing our guys seem to be able to do is get the most out of the blueline. Play them to their strengths.

I think it's a good addition.
Can he shoot a puck like Colin Miller?

Can he skate like Colin Miller?

I ask, because the description looks a lot like Chiller.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Postma was just starting to mature as a defenseman. This was a very shrewd pickup. The kid skates like the wind, plays a good puck moving game.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Postma was just starting to mature as a defenseman. This was a very shrewd pickup. The kid skates like the wind, plays a good puck moving game.

How is he in his own end? I'm guessing your comment about him maturing is regarding this, but I admittedly don't get to see a lot of Jets hockey. I don't think most of us on the Boston board do.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
How is he in his own end? I'm guessing your comment about him maturing is regarding this, but I admittedly don'y get to see a lot of Jets hockey. I don't think most of us on the Boston board do.

Yes, his d coverage has improved. He certainly could have played here, but he and the Jets just never seemed to be on the same page. They essentially ran him out of town.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I dont think there will be much of a logjam as the season progresses, we saw how quick D's can go down. Let camp come and see who stands out and takes a spot.

If I was a betting man, I'd put money on Mcquaid, K.Miller, and Chara missing chunks of time next season.

Mcquaid is a given to have a freak injury, K.Miller due to his rough play like Mcquaid just makes it more likely he will get banged up at some point.

Chara another year older, I hope he can stay healthy but I assume at some point he may have some nagging injuries or need a rest.

Chara-Krug-Mcquaid-K.Miller-Carlo-McAvoy-Postma-O'Gara..then maybe a surprise in Lauzon or Zboril...then Grzelcyk, Johansson and Cross in Providence. I actually...like our D.

I have no issues carrying lots of depth because as we saw in the playoffs, injuries will strike and it's better to have a few depth options then be stuck throwing out Tommy Cross in a playoff game.

Most likely by running himself into the boards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad