Confirmed with Link: Paul McFarland hired as Kingston (OHL) Head Coach. Will depart Leafs after Season (Upd: and new GM)

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When did Dubas/Keefe blame McFarland for anything? Frankly I've never heard Dubas blame anyone but himself for anything

.....and then he gets raked over the coals for it while the same folks criticize Babcock for not taking responsibility. You really can't win.
Likely a Lou fan. You know someone is desparate when he is blaming Dubas and Keefe for this.

Reactions: Ciao

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Probably for the best.

With the offensize talent that the Leafs have they shpuld conaistently be among the top pps in the league. No excuses for stagnation.

And re Boudreau - hes an amazing coach but you dont bring a guy like that in, especially after just giving a younger guy like Keefe the main job

Agreed, if Boudreau comes here it's for a head coach job.

You don't take a long-time successful vet coach like Boudreau and make him an assistant to a 2nd year head coach.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas running out of people to blame, ditto for Keefe...............

When did Dubas/Keefe blame McFarland for anything? Frankly I've never heard Dubas blame anyone but himself for anything

.....and then he gets raked over the coals for it while the same folks criticize Babcock for not taking responsibility. You really can't win.

I could have done a better job in finding guys that can provide depth to help the coaches in that regard," said Dubas. "I think if there’s blame to go around for that it should go to me."
He blamed himself for the PK being bad as well.

Reactions: Ciao

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

McFarland counts himself lucky to have picked the brains of five different coaches with NHL head-job experience during his two seasons with the Florida Panthers and one in Toronto, where he helped improve the Leafs’ power play from eighth overall (21.8 per cent) to sixth overall (23.1 per cent).

Those close to the situation say McFarland’s personality and way of thinking better suit him to running a bench than to assist on one.

“He’s wired to be a head coach. He really is,” one source said. “This is all self-interest and all Farley’s doing. He doesn’t want to be a career assistant coach.”

Added Keefe in a statement: “Normally this type of move would be done during the off-season, but given that these are far from normal circumstances, we are in full support of Paul’s desire to pursue this position in Kingston and gain more experience as a head coach.”

McFarland said he is grateful to Keefe and Leafs general manager Kyle Dubas for allowing him to sign a five-year pact with Kingston that will run through the 2024-25 junior season.

All parties agree that McFarland will remain with the Maple Leafs through the uncertain conclusion of the 2019-20 playoffs — even if that means missing the start of the Frontenacs’ 2020-21 campaign.

Kingston GM Darren Keily’s firing of coach Kurtis Foster on April 29 after a disappointing 19-39-2-2 effort and second straight losing season prompted McFarland’s interest, and the deal came together quickly.

“We greatly appreciate the support of Kyle Dubas and the entire Toronto Maple Leafs organization for their co-operation through this process,” Keily said. “Paul is a very key piece of our ultimate goal of winning a championship, especially in how he brings a passion and commitment that will no doubt be infectious to our players.”

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
kurtis foster was the coach huh? i remember him scoring against the leafs way back in 2006; twice actually. once in minny and the other time in toronto.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Is this where I pretend to have given this guy a single moment of thought during the 2019-20 season? Okay, what's my agenda and how does this event fit it? I'm prepared to call him incompetent or stupid or a suppressed genius if necessary.

Reactions: ER89 and Ciao

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Im not sure if you’re being sarcastic but this isn’t the worst idea in the world. The players constantly speak highly of her

Not sarcastic at all. @JustAShadow is correct, she's also in medical school right now. So I can't possibly speak to whether she would take the job. But I think it's a legit option.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Not sarcastic at all. @JustAShadow is correct, she's also in medical school right now. So I can't possibly speak to whether she would take the job. But I think it's a legit option.

It'd be cool, for sure. Who knows if coaching is actually her wheelhouse or not, though. As far as I know, her roll with the club to this point has been more of a prospect liason, than a regular coach of any sort.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Should use Greg Moore. He sucked as the Marlies coach, so this is a good excuse to get him away from that job and get someone better in his place. Apparently he has a great hockey mind, so perhaps letting him focusing on creating strategies on the PP as an Assistant Coach won't be as overwhelming as he looked as a Head Coach in the AHL.

Reactions: stickty111

DustyMitts

May 12, 2020
Dubas will look at someone to compliment Keefe. He could look to junior coaches again. A name I hear as a fit is Jake Grimes. Currently in the Q junior league but long time assistant prior to success as a head guy. Only time will tell I guess.

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
Agreed, if Boudreau comes here it's for a head coach job.

You don't take a long-time successful vet coach like Boudreau and make him an assistant to a 2nd year head coach.
It happens a lot though. Look at coaches like Jacques Martin and Lindy Ruff. They were two successful head coaches for many years and now they are assistants to head coaches with less experience.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The timeline could become interesting if the NHL season goes late and the OHL season is waiting to start but has their camps starting.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Four years ago, a championship CHL head coach came to the Leafs to make a name for himself as NHL caliber.

Now coaches leave here to return to the OHL.

Great work Dubas. Just a stellar record of success that people clearly want to be a part of.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Four years ago, a championship CHL head coach came to the Leafs to make a name for himself as NHL caliber.

Now coaches leave here to return to the OHL.

Great work Dubas. Just a stellar record of success that people clearly want to be a part of.
When you've never been a coach in the NHL, the hardest way to get in is being an assistant. You're way better off being a head coach somewhere else and working your way up. Mcfarland tried the assistant coach role in Florida and here, and probably decided that he wasn't gaining enough traction in the pursuit of a head coaching job for him to stay in that type of role. He went back to a place he was comfortable to try and reset.

Honestly I would have offered him the Marlies role as I'm not a fan of Moore, but it was probably the best move he could have made. Look no further than Steve Spott. Went from the Marlies head coach that made the conference finals, to Leafs assistant, and now 6 years later is still waiting for a head coaching gig somewhere.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->