Paul MacLean Out After One Season, Brad Larsen to (once again) Coach the PP.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
When MacLean took over, the Blue Jackets were 24th in the league at 15.6 percent. Even though they improved under MacLean — they were 21 of 125, 16.8 percent under his tutelage — they slid to 27th in the league (16.4 percent) by season’s end.

It’s the fourth time in five regular seasons the power play has been ranked among the bottom 10 teams in the league.

In 10 postseason games this season — a qualifying round win over Toronto, a first-round loss to Tampa Bay — the Blue Jackets were 3-of-34 (8.8 percent) with a man advantage, ranking 22nd out of 24 teams.

Barring an unforeseen development, Larsen will be back in charge of the power play next season, even though the Blue Jackets have gone outside the organization for midseason help in each of the past two years.

MacLean was brought in for help last season. Martin St. Louis was brought in as an adviser two seasons ago to help Larsen with the power play and work with players on the side.

Hired to save power play, Paul MacLean out after one season with Blue Jackets

Also worth noting: The article mentions all of our assistant coaches minus Manny Legace (who signed an extension) are in the last year of their deals, and Jarmo won't negotiate extensions with them due to the uncertainty of next season.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I applaud the Jackets for trying to inject some new life and different ideas into the PP while acknowledging it just didn’t work. We’ve now had at least three coaches try to solve the power play which hasn’t been good since Gagner was here. It’s looking like the story here is a player issue.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I applaud the Jackets for trying to inject some new life and different ideas into the PP while acknowledging it just didn’t work. We’ve now had at least three coaches try to solve the power play which hasn’t been good since Gagner was here. It’s looking like the story here is a player issue.
I think it has been pretty clear that the PP is a one trick pony and that trick isn't very good. I recall reading an Athletic article where they had various outside sources around the league talk about the power play and it was labeled as very predictable. They can't even enter the zone cleanly with an extra player on the ice.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
It's probably sacrilege around here, but Seth Jones needs to step it up on the PP. He had 9 PP points all year. Z wasn't much better with 13, but he's not regarded as Mr. Norris.

NHL.com Stats

Jones isn't much of an overall offensive threat relative to his press clippings.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
We need a top level playmaker and guys with good one timers to drive the PP, some of the choices on PP lines were questionable this year as well
In a few games I thought maybe they drew names out of a hat.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It is time to be unconventional. I say we put the 2nd goalie in front of the net in full gear as a distraction and put the four guys with the hardest shots out with him. And, since we can’t legally play two goalies, put Savard back to defend our goal.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
It is time to be unconventional. I say we put the 2nd goalie in front of the net in full gear as a distraction and put the four guys with the hardest shots out with him. And, since we can’t legally play two goalies, put Savard back to defend our goal.

Going along with this, I wonder if we treat our PP as a 4 v 4 and just keep someone back at our blue line to stop the inevitable breakaway.

If we can't make it score more, let's get scored on less.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Reasons for the poor PP:

1) On-Ice Execution

2) PP/Coaching Strategy

3) Player Personnel Decisions

probably in that order

Larsen is with the CBJ for more than the PP. For all we know he’d be better than Torts.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I envision Bemstrom or Bjork on the respective dot with zipping crossing passes that they step into with one timers... you know the script you have seen over and over again - Pasternak had at least two vs the Bolts. Ovechkin like one timer of a moving pass - that is the type of skill we need even handed, power play etc. It is the Center left wing combo we have been missing.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad