Paul Krepelka - New VP of Hockey Operations

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So legitimately curious as to what this means, are we doing some sort of 3 headed monster thing with the GM position or something? Because much of this responsibility sounds like a part of what his responsibilities would be as GM but not all of it.

Also interesting to see he's an associate professor at Endicott College, not so much notable, just more in a "hey I know that place" sense for a very random school.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
So legitimately curious as to what this means, are we doing some sort of 3 headed monster thing with the GM position or something? Because much of this responsibility sounds like a part of what his responsibilities would be as GM but not all of it.

Seems like it. This position sounds like what an assistant GM would do, but with a fancy ass title. Maybe there is just going to be VPs and no actual GMs. That should piss off the hockey establishment pretty good.

I’m all for this as a troll job of the old school hockey people since there isn’t anything else to look forward to as a fan of this crap sandwhich of a franchise.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
This is actually a really interesting addition.

Krepelka was Dipietro's agent when he signed 15 year, $67.5 million deal. The one that cements him as the Islanders Franchise goalie until 2021. The contract the Islanders will be paying on buyout until 2030.
Krepelka also represented Eric Staal when he signed his big deal with the Canes (as well as Jordan Staal perhaps?).

Ideally he might bring an outside-the-box approach to big game hunting this offseason. Seems to be his specialty.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Dundon said previously (end of season press conf. maybe?) that Olczyk was the guy that took care of contracts, so maybe they are moving Olczyk to another role (or firing him). Actually, maybe they expect to be so busy this off season that they need two guys to do contracts. :sarcasm:

Hopefully they didn't need to bring in an extra guy just to negotiate Lindholm and Hanifin's bridge deals. The optimistic side of me says Dundon is thinking "OK our only real organizational asset here is our $25+ million in Cap space. Let's bring in an expert to maximize the utilization of that asset ASAP."

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This is probably just hiring the guy that will be doing the job that Francis was "re-assigned" to. By next year, when Francis's contract is up, he'll be gone (maybe before then) and Krepelka will probably be promoted to "President of Hockey Operations" or moved under the new GM.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
This is probably just hiring the guy that will be doing the job that Francis was "re-assigned" to. By next year, when Francis's contract is up, he'll be gone (maybe before then) and Krepelka will probably be promoted to "President of Hockey Operations" or moved under the new GM.

Same thought went through my head.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Interesting...so we will have a super specialized hivemind.

Does anyone know if this guy is still representing any players?

I read somewhere that he left the Orr group a couple of years ago, so I assume not. Also, seems like it would be a big conflict of interest to still represent players and take on this role.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
it seems like this would remedy a problem the organization has more immediately than they expect to fill the gm vacancy, or at least handle some of the contract negotiations. at some point you have to start talking to your free agents regardless of who is there to do it. the importance of this position will likely diminish to zero at the conclusion of the gm search.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad