Paul Hendrick interview..Who makes the Leafs (Ranger) updates on Jake and Naz & more

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Paul Hendrick from Leafs TV, talks to us about who he feels makes the Leafs line up (Ranger). Updates on Naz and Jake, and some other great tid bits. He also talks about being a Toronto Maple Leafs fan growing up. Worth a listen

No More Lockout Talk!!!

Itunes https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...577173646?mt=2

MP3 http://podalmighty.com/leafsmatters/19-leafmatters.mp3

podcast.png

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
Good interview. I wouldnt mind seeing Paul Ranger on the leafs D. then possible trade for something solid at deadline if we want.

Amp3d

Feb 8, 2010
Good interview guys. Seems like he's sold on Ranger cracking the roster after saying he'd make the top 4. Also interesting that he talked about Komarov possibly making the 3rd line, this kid is looking great especially for a 6th rounder.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I swear Ranger only signed a contract with the Marlies, and not the Leafs meaning he can not be called up unless he signs a new contract with the big club.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
How has Ranger been so far?

I'd love to give him a shot at the big club. I dont think any of our prospect d-men will be ready for this year.

Phaneuf-Gunnar
Gardiner-Ranger
Liles-Holzer
Franson

solid lineup, although 2013-14 season has better signs, I'm sure by then a few of our prospects(Rielly, maybe Blacker, maybe Finn) will be ready/challenge for the big club.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I swear Ranger only signed a contract with the Marlies, and not the Leafs meaning he can not be called up unless he signs a new contract with the big club.

Paul mentions he would have to sign a NHL contract in the interview.

This is of course means Rangers can negotiate with any team he wants.

Likely he'd give the Leafs first opportunity, but if the Sabres offered him 2.5 million a season (example only) how high would the Leafs be willing to go?

Greed is good.

guitarist37

Dec 8, 2010
Am I the only one concerned that a guy who hasn't played in the NHL in a few years has a shot of making the top 4?

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Am I the only one concerned that a guy who hasn't played in the NHL in a few years has a shot of making the top 4?

No need for concern.

Paul just has that many tools to work with. His outlet pass, skating and hockey IQ are always impressive to see.

He's a fantastic addition that will solidify the Leafs blue line once he gets back into things, which is clear that he has been.

What people do not see in terms of watching Paul Ranger, is the fact that he is just damn strong. He's an absolute beast in terms of physical strength and is always a handful in the corners. He's got top tier NHL strength along with NHL size, which makes him an impressive player on the back end with his ability to shut things down and move the puck.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

No.

People are evaluating his play in the AHL without accepting he's playing in the AHL against AHL players.

He's 28 years old, is NHL capable, but last played a full NHL season 2007-2008. He was a top 4 defender that year on a bad team.

Who is he knocking out of the top 4? Liles, Gardiner?

How would Franson have fared in the AHL on a veteran team?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
No need for concern.

Paul just has that many tools to work with. His outlet pass, skating and hockey IQ are always impressive to see.

He's a fantastic addition that will solidify the Leafs blue line once he gets back into things, which is clear that he has been.

What people do not see in terms of watching Paul Ranger, is the fact that he is just damn strong. He's an absolute beast in terms of physical strength and is always a handful in the corners. He's got top tier NHL strength along with NHL size, which makes him an impressive player on the back end with his ability to shut things down and move the puck.

I'm with Chuck on this.

I'd have no problem what so ever of him in the top 4, In fact I'd encourage it because he actually has 4 months of playing under belt to this point.

The way I see the defense is like this

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Holzer

7th: Kostka or Komo

Another possibility is Rielly gets in there some where, But as of now that's it for me.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I'm with Chuck on this.

I'd have no problem what so ever of him in the top 4, In fact I'd encourage it because he actually has 4 months of playing under belt to this point.

The way I see the defense is like this

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf
Gardiner - Ranger
Liles - Holzer

7th: Kostka or Komo

Another possibility is Rielly gets in there some where, But as of now that's it for me.

Ranger is the wild card on our D and I hope he does get a tryout who knows with him being in game shape compared to others he may actually have a good chance. (Same with Franson.)

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
One thing that a lot of people were saying aout Ranger is that he didn't look like someone who hadn't been playing for the last few years. He looked stocked.

And he's been one of the better Marlies this season. His offensive numbers have been good and his defensive acumen has been probably the best out of anyone on the Marlies.

If he decides to stay with Toronto and signs an NHL contract with the Leafs that'll be a huge boost to the team, for sure.

mikebel111*

Naz better make it

I am sure he will make the team

so many factors are with him

he has played really well with marlies, carlyle wants him on the team, he knows what to expect

ideal would be for him to grab the 2nd LW spot, and trade mac at deadline, though I like mac

mikebel111*

Ranger is the wild card on our D and I hope he does get a tryout who knows with him being in game shape compared to others he may actually have a good chance. (Same with Franson.)

I like franson, but I don't know why i am leaning towards ranger over franson

this team needs a veteran presence, who can also play a regular shift

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Can Ranger sign an NHL contract in the middle of the AHL season, or does he have to wait until his AHL contract is up at the end of the season?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Can Ranger sign an NHL contract in the middle of the AHL season, or does he have to wait until his AHL contract is up at the end of the season?

I have read speculation that his contract stipulates he can only sign with Toronto during this season. I have not verified that though. I thought he could sign with anyone.

Also, he is waiver exempt. Ranger would not be subject to Re-Entry Waivers. He is eligible for the Veteran Minor League Player exemption (320+ pro games played and < 40/80 NHL games played during the last one/two years.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I highly doubt Ranger would sign with any other team anyway. If money was his only concern, he'd still be playing for Tampa Bay.

For now he wants to play here and that's it.

As a side note, if (and when) we do sign Ranger, I suspect it'll be for a very low cap hit but will have a full NTC despite Burke not typically awarding them.

SteveV*

Interesting that he thinks Ashton can make the team on the third line.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Good interview guys.

Really enjoyed listening to Hendrick, he surprised me with how realistic he is about the Leafs, and the way he evaluates them is pretty much spot on with how I see it.

Ranger has been fantastic, and I really hope he's willing to sign an NHL contract, but it wouldn't really surprise me if he just wants to stay with the Marlies for the season. I think he's just trying to take his time coming back.

I think Jerry D will be on the Marlies sooner rather than later. Perhaps not this season, but I'd think next season. He's so good defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->