Paul Friesen's article on the history of the Coyotes franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
the guy's right in saying that this is nothing like what the NHL did to try to save winnipeg, but it is also unlike what any professional sports league has done to save any professional sports franchise, in any city.

What we've seen the NHL and COG do is unprecedented in history. To try to compare it to any situation and critique it is stupid unless you are a true insider and know exactly what the motives are.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida

PitbulI

Dec 22, 2010
Two cities are going to feel used after this is all over. Glendale for the taxes they'll have to pay to keep the team and Winnipeg for being a pawn for Gary Bettman.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
the guy's right in saying that this is nothing like what the NHL did to try to save winnipeg, but it is also unlike what any professional sports league has done to save any professional sports franchise, in any city.

Born out of a situation that has never happened to any professional sports league in history.

What we've seen the NHL and COG do is unprecedented in history. To try to compare it to any situation and critique it is stupid unless you are a true insider and know exactly what the motives are.

It's almost like the situation in Phoenix in 2011 is different from the situation in Winnipeg in 1995.

Nah, couldn't be that. Clearly the NHL had 170m to give to the Jets in 1995 and just didn't want to.

:sarcasm:

(that's what guys like Friesen apparently really believe)

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Well when they lost their team it went on to Denver to sell out for years and be one of the big spenders (and cup winners) of the lat 90's. That never would have happend in QC. Winnipeg on the other hand watched their franchise leave to do even worse than the worst-case scenario the franchise moved to avoid in the first place.

The media (and fans on this board) can crow all they want. TSNE has said nothing for the past two years on this whole issue other than they are interested in a team.

The Wpg posters and PHX posters share alot in common, lots of attacks about market, viability, ownership, "it will never work", etc and we are both so used to having our backs up that this kind of petty bickering was bound to happen when you get both fanbases on different sides of the same thread.

Its nothing personal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Puckschmuck*

Two cities are going to feel used after this is all over. Glendale for the taxes they'll have to pay to keep the team and Winnipeg for being a pawn for Gary Bettman.

It will be either Phoenix or Atlanta. But after dealing with some of these Phx fans here and on other forums, I'm hoping it's Phoenix; it would make me so happy! :nod:

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Ok superstar, who are the good ones?

I said I liked Lawless's article. That wasn't sarcasm, it was actually a good article. Kept it clear of Bettman-hate or Phoenix-hate and acknowledged Winnipeg was the frontrunner, not the onlyrunner.

You tell me who the good ones are. They're the ones who don't put up articles reeking of resentment, entitlement, or just plain attacking league management for the Jets leaving.

Would be nice if the city-haters and spammers would leave the thread. This was about the article, nothing more.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
This thread is being closed for maintenance.

Please check your inboxes.

EDIT:

I'm leaving this thread permanently closed to save you from yourselves.

However, future threads on subjects which are thread-worthy, and which get flamed, trolled, or hijacked from any poster from any viewpoint will result in that poster being forum banned until either the Pheonix situation is resolved or the Sun implodes.

It is not your call as to whether or not a thread topic belongs in one thread or another, so don't comment on it publicly - report it as a duplicate or redundant thread. If it gets merged or doesn't get merged, you'll have your answer.

4Chan-type picture posts will be infracted as well, in any thread on this board.

If you have something to add to to the conversation, please do so. Otherwise, I'd recommend refraining from making useless posts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->