Paul Friesen's article on the history of the Coyotes franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/columnists/paul_friesen/2011/03/07/17529851.html

I guess if the jingoistic Winnipeg sports media is going to post nonsense this is the best place to hack it apart. You know how someone gets into sports journalism, right...

Paul Friesen said:
As fascinating as it’s been to watch the NHL do triple-summersaults through hoops to keep hockey in Phoenix, you can’t help but wonder one thing.

Why?

What makes NHL commissioner Gary Bettman think Phoenix, or its suburb of Glendale, is a better hockey market than Winnipeg?

Nobody in the league thinks that Glendale is a better hockey market than Winnipeg, Paul. It should be patently obvious that simply allowing teams to move wherever they want whenever they want would have serious, if not fatal, repercussions for everyone involved.

If it were as simple as that, there'd be six teams in Toronto and five in Montreal and no teams south of Chicago or west of the Rockies.

The league is obligated to protect the franchises it already has, not markets it isn't even in. Pretty basic.

To compare what the NHL is doing to save hockey in Arizona with what it did to save hockey in Manitoba some 15 years ago is like comparing player salaries then to now.

Posters here in the past have wisely brought up how much different the league's ability to help its franchises has changed over those 15 years. "The best of its ability" now is not the same as "the best of its ability" then.

Paul makes the same mistake as others here have, assuming the setting around the state of a franchise is always the same. If you aren't willing to get into the differences, why comment at all? It just makes you look simple.

Seems to me the league made a petty cash effort to save the Jets, while it’s into the Coyotes to the tune of $170 million, plus.

But the deputy commish stuck to his guns.

“The club was moved only after it was determined that there was no near-term prospect of a new building,†Daly said. “And there was no one who was prepared to own the franchise in Winnipeg under those circumstances.â€

OK, fair enough.

You say "okay, fair enough" only after taking a petty jab at the league for not buying the Jets despite having zilch in the way of evidence that there would EVER be a qualified owner or building? Which is it, Paul? That is dirty journalism.

But you get the impression Bettman would sit his bare butt down on a cactus at Portage and Main, in the winter, to keep the Coyotes from moving.

You get that impression because of your inherent biases, Paul. Bettman will move that team in a heartbeat once realistic hope ends.

First, he started paying the team’s bills when former owner Jerry Moyes stopped.

Teams are advanced money they will eventually receive a lot more often than you apparently realize, Paul.

Then he bought the team out of bankruptcy to keep it out of Jim Balsillie’s hands.

The protection of the league's constitution, which Balsillie was attempting to destroy, was the paramount concern, Paul. You might want to keep in mind that had Balsillie been successful, there was absolutely nothing stopping owners from being able to move teams whenever they felt another place would be more profitable regardless of what the league thought. The consequences for small market Canadian teams should be obvious.

What’s happened since has been one mind-numbing twist after another, with would-be buyers dropping in and out of the running for a franchise that loses tens of millions of dollars per season.

Want to know the difference, Paul? They are still 'dropping in'. There wasn't a qualified soul in the world who wanted the Jets in Winnipeg in the mid '90s.

I asked him if it’s safe to say Winnipeg remains the league’s only Plan B.

“No. I don’t think that is accurate,†Daly responded. “I wouldn’t limit Plan B options at this point to moving the club to Winnipeg.â€

He wouldn’t elaborate.

And I won’t begin to celebrate.

Not until I hear Gary Bettman say he’s coming to Winnipeg.

Wisest thing you said in the whole piece. Winnipeg is not the only place out there that wants an NHL team. With that in mind, how open would you be to a full bidding process on the Coyotes should they move? Would Winnipeg even win?

Don't let feelings of entitlement get in the way of your reporting. People in Hamilton did and boy did that ever backfire.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It isn't like the US media is offering a more supportive view.

Wisest thing you said in the whole piece. Winnipeg is not the only place out there that wants an NHL team. With that in mind, how open would you be to a full bidding process on the Coyotes should they move? Would Winnipeg even win?

Are there any south of the border?

Last edited:

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
i don't think thats the reason....the visceral feeling towards the coyotes have had 15 years to grow and fester like a cancerous tumour....if you think the newspapers present a negative viewpoint, you should hear what regular folks feel about the coyotes.

that being said...nobody hates phoenix....a huge number of us vacation there...and many own property ( i am considering one right now actually).....many of us do hate the coyotes and what they represent however.....that is only human nature.

Absolutely. If the objective was to post 15 consecutive money losing seasons plagued with poor attendance and ownership issues. You could have just left em in Winnipeg, we could have done that ourselves :laugh:

blasted

Nov 21, 2010
CANADA
In before the lock. Mark my works, Winnipeg is in the NHL next season, and all the haters will have to deal with that.

If so, make sure EVERY game is packed for the next 10 years..if not some dolt will be posting pictures of our empty arena!:shakehead

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Absolutely. If the objective was to post 15 consecutive money losing seasons plagued with poor attendance and ownership issues. You could have just left em in Winnipeg, we could have done that ourselves :laugh:

Oh yeah? With what shiny new building? :sarcasm:

Puckschmuck*

If so, make sure EVERY game is packed for the next 10 years..if not some dolt will be posting pictures of our empty arena!:shakehead

If you think anyone on this board is stupid enough to believe you are from Winnipeg, then you are clearly dumber than 10 COG's combined.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's painfully obvious that the Pro-Phoenix crowd will now begin to lash out at the Pro-Winnipeg crowd, seeing as how they know that time has almost run out for NHL Hockey in the Desert. They will be coming at us full force, however that will do them no good because the writing is on the wall.

You guys have been doing that for close to 2 years now. Where da team at yo? :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
You know it's really weird when someone responds to a journalist story on a message board.

Like who posts parts of his column and then responds?

Just a troll baby, just a troll.

This is probably the worst thread ever on HFboards and one just to cause hate towards Canadians and Winnipeg.

I wonder about the agenda of the OP.

Puckschmuck*

You guys have been doing that for close to 2 years now. Where da team at yo? :laugh:

Right now, in Phoenix. Come October 2012, in Winnipeg permanently.

Then where will your team be at yo? :laugh:

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB

you_are_broken_trollcat.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Right now, in Phoenix. Come October 2012, in Winnipeg permanently.

Then where will your team be at yo? :laugh:

And if that doesn't happen? I fully expect an amazingly vapid, hateful piece coined by Shoalts about how the NHL hates Winnipeg. :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Bottom line is YOU CAN'T BLAME people from Winnipeg or Canada for the absolute disgraceful attendance in Phoenix since the beginning.

I've heard all kinds of excuses (the best one is--location of jobing.com:laugh::laugh:) but you can't blame anyone but YOURSELVES for lack of interest in the team.

Puckschmuck*

And if that doesn't happen? I fully expect an amazingly vapid, hateful piece coined by Shoalts about how the NHL hates Winnipeg. :laugh:

Oh dude, you are so bitter that it's not only funny, but borderline sad. I may actually start to feel sorry for you once the team is gone from Arizona.............maybe :laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Oh dude, you are so bitter that it's not only funny, but borderline sad. I may actually start to feel sorry for you once the team is gone from Arizona.............maybe :laugh:

This is exactly what Ike wanted. To start a **** fest between the fine folks of AZ and Manitoba.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Are there any south of the border?

Does it somehow change my point either way? Friesen resents the idea ANYONE could get in the way of Winnipeg getting back the Coyotes, in much the same manner as some Hamilton reporters and posters are mad at the idea that Winnipeg may/will get a team before them. While my personal opinion is that Winnipeg probably would be the top contender simply because Bettman wants them to be, that isn't necessarily the case and a full scale bidding war for relocation might happen (again, though, I personally would not bet on that).

Given the attitude in this thread and to an even further extent in the other threads, I would laugh for DAYS if the Coyotes ended up moving to Quebec City. That's the one Canadian city representing here that still seems to have the proper attitude of "we want an NHL team" rather than the destructive attitude of "we deserve an NHL team more than *insert city here*".

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Does it somehow change my point either way? Friesen resents the idea ANYONE could get in the way of Winnipeg getting back the Coyotes, in much the same manner as some Hamilton reporters and posters are mad at the idea that Winnipeg may/will get a team before them. While my personal opinion is that Winnipeg probably would be the top contender simply because Bettman wants them to be, that isn't necessarily the case and a full scale bidding war for relocation might happen (again, though, I personally would not bet on that).

Given the attitude in this thread and to an even further extent in the other threads, I would laugh for DAYS if the Coyotes ended up moving to Quebec City. That's the one Canadian city representing here that still seems to have the proper attitude of "we want an NHL team" rather than the destructive attitude of "we deserve an NHL team more than *insert city here*".

So you lump all the people in Winnipeg based on a message board and a few journalists?

Glad you weren't alive during slavery.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
You know it's really weird when someone responds to a journalist story on a message board.

Journalist stories are posted all the time for discourse here, on a daily basis.

Like who posts parts of his column and then responds?

This happens all the time.

Just a troll baby, just a troll.

Flame noted and passed on.

This is probably the worst thread ever on HFboards and one just to cause hate towards Canadians and Winnipeg.

Nothing in my original post does anything of the sort. Paul Friesen is the one who brought up the idea that the Coyotes, should they move, might not go to Winnipeg.

I wonder about the agenda of the OP.

More attacking the poster.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'm 100% sure that the vast majority of people in Winnipeg DO NOT WANT PHOENIX to lose their team.

They would just like a team of their own.

But good for you Ike and your obvious agenda in starting this thread.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007

Wait until their building is built.

If you think the humble prairie folk of Winnipeg can get sensationalist about their hockey...I direct your attention in about 18 months to the fine folk in la belle province. The google translators will be creating Three's Company-like misunderstandings and hilarity will ensue.

Krautso

Nov 30, 2007
Maybe they will be smart enough to build an NHL sized arena.

I'm sure they will and as long as they don't stick it in the desert where they cant even give away tickets to fill their building, I think they'll be alllllright.

Nov 24, 2006

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
No one, not even the staff, take the Winnipeg Sun seriously. If you're going to skewer the pro-Jet media there are better options out there for you.

Heh. Okay. Lawless in Free Press had a much better article that didn't include whining about how Winnipeg was mistreated but I don't read him enough to know if that's typical.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/death-watch-117507898.html

THIS was an excellent article.

There's a guy who gets his stuff put on Slam Sports all the time, can't remember his name now, but he was just as bad as Friesen.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think you forfeit the right to ***** at people for wanting to "steal" your team when you "stole" it from them in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad