Confirmed with Link: Paul Fenton to be named GM of Minnesota Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That sounds like Sarah Palin to me.

It's go time, Fenton. Time to save the world. Get to it, and don't screw up like you did with the 1st pick and the Nino trade.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Fenton: "it's been tough to get sleep, but when i do go to sleep, i cry like a baby at night, like most babies do"

Umm... okay? Is he saying he's depressed because the team isn't winning? Is he saying he's a big baby? Im confused.

Regardless, sounds like a confident leader.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Our GM sounds like an unstable politician that can’t answer a simple question. He’s openly stated he doesn’t like the media.

I’m sick of him already.

Reactions: DumbaTrain

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Our GM sounds like an unstable politician that can’t answer a simple question. He’s openly stated he doesn’t like the media.

I’m sick of him already.
He’s the worst. You can tell that he blatantly lies to not tip his hand to the media because he accidentally slips up a few times per interview. Why did we get a GM who is stuck in the stone ages?

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Yeah, he doesn't seem like a very bright or intelligent guy. His answers often remind a little bit too much of Trump. I mean, you can tell what he is trying to say there and the point he's trying to make, whether it's correct or not, but he says it like syphilis has eaten half of his brain away so it's barely coherent. You wonder if he just sucks/is really nervous at public speaking or whether his IQ is like 80. Based on the one big move he has made, and based on the stuff I've seen that haven't really shown him to be that nervous or anything in those situations, the latter seems the case. Not good. When he talks like that, suddenly it makes sense that the negotiations with him and Carolina ended the way they did.

I'm not sure what's his logic regarding the "parity = trades are difficult to make" argument. Don't think he's correct. There's bunch of teams looking to make runs. The only way that would make sense is if he's trying to make the kind of trades that would bring back actual roster players. Teams generally leave those for summer. But I'm not sure he should be looking at those kind of trades...

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Remember when we were told that it was okay Leipold didn't have any hockey guys helping with the interview for the next GM? This is what you get.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Give him a year. Call the Bitetto thing a rookie mistake (if it really even is one). He made one bad trade and one questionable draft pick (along with seemingly very good picks after that). If you guys can't even give him a year, I don't know how you'd ever survive a rebuild.

If he makes additional terrible trades before the start of next year, fine. But come on. One of Fletcher's first moves was Leddy for Barker, and he turned out okay.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Give him a year. Call the Bitetto thing a rookie mistake (if it really even is one). He made one bad trade and one questionable draft pick (along with seemingly very good picks after that). If you guys can't even give him a year, I don't know how you'd ever survive a rebuild.

If he makes additional terrible trades before the start of next year, fine. But come on. One of Fletcher's first moves was Leddy for Barker, and he turned out okay.
Sorry I hate this mindset. Give him a year? No. If I sucked at my job as much as Fenton sucks at his so far, I would've been let go 9 months into it.

He made an AWFUL trade and an AWFUL 1st round draft pick. Filip Johansson has 3pts in 42gp, is a -12, plays on the 3rd best team in what amounts to a 2nd tier league in Sweden. Unless he absorbs the second coming of Niklas Lidstrom I think it's pretty safe to say the kid is a bust.

The reason we're not giving him a f***ing year to do something is because he had all the time in the world to evaluate this team dating back to last season and he's still sucked. Competence shouldn't be this hard to come by, yet professional sports leagues around the world seem to f*** it up time and time again. And no place does it happen more prevalently than in the NHL.

Fenton is easily the worst GM in the Central division. How the hell do you have confidence in him to compile a competitive stanley cup level team when he can barely answer a f***ing question coherently?

My god people wake the f*** up!

Wabit

May 23, 2016

You don't get a year grace period when the team you take over is a Playoff team, and the expectation is to continue to be a Playoff team.

You get a grace period when you take over a team that is in the basement and you're building from almost nothing.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You don't get a year grace period when the team you take over is a Playoff team, and the expectation is to continue to be a Playoff team.

You get a grace period when you take over a team that is in the basement and you're building from almost nothing.
No one thinks they're good enough to win with tweaks anymore. I don't think that expectation is there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The quotes are a goddamn gold mine, but if I'm ranking qualities that I want in a GM erudition isn't that high on the list.

The real question I have, and it's one that's going to be answered between here and the draft, is whether or not he actually has any kind of a plan. It's been almost a year and if he wants to keep throwing out chestnuts about "evaluating" and "letting the team tell him what to do next" in interviews, fine, but his next few moves need to show a hell of a lot more foresight and deliberation than what he's so far in 2019. If he's looking at nothing but **** sandwich trade offers for the guys he feels he needs to move then he needs to seriously consider a full rebuild. I think that's a bad plan but at least it's a plan. What we've seen lately just looks like a monkey trying to figure out how to work a cash register.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Starting to fear that Leipold found someone who hadn't guts to say you need to rebuild. Someone controllable. Someone who didn't crush the (day)dream. Someone who agreed not to wake him up just yet.

Hopefully it's just me and my fears.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Before the season, yes, but probably not anymore.

So? His pisspoor job performance is why expectations have changed. Being bad at your job doesn't give someone a longer grace period, it makes it shorter if anything.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
The expectation was to make the Playoffs and go further the GMCF could take the team.

Don't necessarily think this is the case. But losing Dumba was easily worth two fewer wins, which is probably the margin of failure.

Every GM is going to bring in guys he knows and I think all of Aberg, Bitetto and Hunt were ok acquisitions in the grand scheme. Prosser isn't the difference between a playoff team or not.

What the Rask thing says to me is that there was LESS of a market for guys like Coyle. Someone had to go, and this trade looks atrocious, but we haven't seen a healthy Rask in a proper role either. (I'm not confident that matters, and it looks like a loss.)

But there was plenty of verbal around the idea that the Wild had to take a step back before they could win a playoff round in any near future, and that seems self-evident today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad