Paul Coffey

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulok*

Dude. Paul Coffey is Paul Coffey. He bought creativity ... flair ... edge of your seat plays ... wasnt "bad" defesively as u claim him to be. Its more of a crime to put him in the same sentence as 90 % of the defensemen u mentioned. Any defenseman compared to Coffey in todays generation would be honored. Not ridiculed. what you need to do is live in Edmonton and go around running your mouth about supposedly how "bad" Coffey is. U wont have too many freinds let me tell u .

Nearly 1600 points ... over + 300 for his career! 48 goals in one season! 7 assists in 1 game! fastest skater in NHL history .. yes that includes the incomparable Orr. Orr himself acknowledges that in the Hockey news 50 greatest players issue 1998 Taught Niinimaa how to play with flair in philly .... mentor to Nik lidstrom in Detroit when they played together.... how can u even fathom sayin anything bad about the guy. Can u even skate??

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
God people are overrating Paul Coffey on here. Second best defenseman ever? Have you never heard of Doug Harvey? Right now I would say that Coffey is a top10, but here is how I would rate them

1. Orr
2. Harvey
3. Shore
4. Bourque
5. Potvin
6. Robinson (interchangeable with potvin there)
7. Chelios
8. Park
9. Coffey
10. Kelly

Sure he could score, but really there was a lot more to defense than scoring, and even in the 80s where defensive play was not that stringent he wasn't known as a good DEFENSEman.... more like a rover than a defenseman.

I looked in the 1998 issue of the hockey news and it states that Muckler said Orr was the best skating defenseman of all time but coffey is right up there.

soulok*

Benton ...dude please remove chelios from your top 10. thats degrading. Chelios???? top 10 all time defensman ladies and gentlemen. Chris Chelios.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Holy crap, Chris Chelios was one of the best defensemen of our time are you to blind to see that. He was actually able to win just as many Norris trophies as Coffey did, and at the same time he has been able to remain a solid contributor up until today even though he is less than one year older than Coffey... in fact if memory serves me correct he made 5 first all star team appearences in comparison to Coffey's 4..... ladies and gentlemen Chelios... yes Chelios

He was nominated for the Norris when he was 40 years old... what more do you flippin want?

monkey_00*

Benton Fraser..........

I notice that you have Eddie Shore at the #3 position........we both have already had some discussion on whether or not alot of those guys from the past could play in today's NHL.........I feel that Shore MIGHT be one of those handful of players that would be able to adjsut to the modern game BUT don't you think you are ranking him a tad bit high at #3 alltime?....head of guys like Bourque, Potvin and Robinson?

monkey_00*

Benton Fraser said:
No, no i do not.

Well I've never seen the guy play.....I'm only going by from what I've read and heard others say like Don Cherry who says: "Shore was the toughest player he's seen in his life".....even though he wasn't the biggest guy in the world.

soulok*

No knock on Chelios a solid defenseman but hes not as dominant as coffey was. physically yes skill wise not even in the same world let alone same league. Really In my opinion Coffey should be sittin with at leat 6 norris trophies. 2 seasons he had over 100 points and better then +40 and still didnt recieve a norris bcz he didnt grind opponents to death. Cmon i dont care what era u play in ....... u get 100 points in a season as a defenseman now it dont matter if ur +40 or -10 ur gonna get the norris .

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Paul Coffeys numbers are undeniable.

But his defensive prowess is undeniable too.

He was basically a 4th forward for the vast majority of his career. I loved watching him. To this day, I dont think there was a better pure skater than Paul Coffey.

His numbers are terrific. But if my team is holding a 1 goal lead with 45 seconds to go in ANY game...I glue Coffeys ass to the bench.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Chelios vs. Coffey?

In fantasy hockey its a no brainer...Paul Coffey.

In REAL LIFE hockey its a no brainer...Chris Chelios.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I just read in the bio on Paul Coffey in Kings of the Ice, an amazing book with 100s of player bios that Glen Sather almost traded Coffey to the Buffalo Sabres during his rookie season when he was struggling cause Scotty Bowman wanted him. Things could have been much different for him if he hadn't been an Oiler for the first six years of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->