Player Discussion Paul Byron

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So many people have assumed 20 goals was a fluke...but the type of game he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to repeat it.

Reactions: Draft and scrubadam

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I can see Byron scoring another 20 if put in a position to do so, but the real value of Byron to me is that he can be used effectively up and down the lineup, and he can also play the PK...perhaps even 2nd unit PP.

He's a pretty versatile winger.

and he will keep the other teams PK honest and on their feet. If they go with 4 forwards and see Byron out there the coach is probably a bit scared on the bench.

With the league using 4 forwards more and more I can see Byron picking up a couple more shorties this year for sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So many people have assumed 20 goals was a fluke...but the type of game he plays, I wouldn't be surprised if he's able to repeat it.

I don't think it's a fluke but ice-time matters. If he plays most of the season in the top-6 like last year then he could hit 20, but it's probably not a good sign for our team if he's playing that kind of role.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
It's reasonable to conjecture that Byron won't score 22 goals in 2017-18. However, certain Hab fans seem to resent Byron and a few of them imply that he won't/can't repeat his 22 goal season. Could it be that they vent against him (or give him grudging praise) because they favored some minor leaguer who wasn't called up? They label Byron a 3rd or even a 4th liner. Maybe he won't score 22 goals in 2017-18 but I predict that unless Byron is injured AT MOST 5 Hab forwards will score more goals than he does.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
It's reasonable to conjecture that Byron won't score 22 goals in 2017-18. However, certain Hab fans seem to resent Byron and a few of them imply that he won't/can't repeat his 22 goal season. Could it be that they vent against him (or give him grudging praise) because they favored some minor leaguer who wasn't called up? They label Byron a 3rd or even a 4th liner. Maybe he won't score 22 goals in 2017-18 but I predict that unless Byron is injured AT MOST 5 Hab forwards will score more goals than he does.

I think simply its because of what he represents. He is a bargain bin special that worked out really well so that stings. Not to mention MB locked him down to a steal of a contract. If he gives another 20 G at 1.1 Mill(or whatever he gets) it will be another feather in MB's cap.

I don't know whats not to love about Byron. Plays with heart, can score, is fast as hell, never complains, and gives the same effort if he is on the 1st line or the 4th line. He was demoted after scoring 2 goals and worked just as hard and didn't say a word.

Watch with teams going to 4 forwards on the PP this year Byron is going to wreck other teams on the PK. Half way through the season teams are going to have to gameplan agaisnt it. We already saw in the FLA game how dangerous he can be on the PK.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This guy has such an amazing attitude. Such an amazing waiver wire pick up and signing.

Thank you Kassian and thank you Le Roi du Camion ! Without you two, Lord Byron in Montreal likely never happens. It's nice to see it turned out great for everyone in the end and that Kassian was able to turn his life around in a less hectic city.

Hey, don't forget to thank the tree. And, whoever it is what apparently was driving the truck. Kidding aside, happy for Kassian and for Byron, they both got a golden opportunity and made something of it.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Bryon is still a very useful player. He's not a top 6 guy, but he is a good bottom 6 player.

I don't like him on the PP however...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think simply its because of what he represents. He is a bargain bin special that worked out really well so that stings. Not to mention MB locked him down to a steal of a contract. If he gives another 20 G at 1.1 Mill(or whatever he gets) it will be another feather in MB's cap.

I don't know whats not to love about Byron. Plays with heart, can score, is fast as hell, never complains, and gives the same effort if he is on the 1st line or the 4th line. He was demoted after scoring 2 goals and worked just as hard and didn't say a word.

Watch with teams going to 4 forwards on the PP this year Byron is going to wreck other teams on the PK. Half way through the season teams are going to have to gameplan agaisnt it. We already saw in the FLA game how dangerous he can be on the PK.

Byron is one of my favorite Habs players. He shows up every game, doesn't complain where he is in the line-up, has crazy speed, and he keeps his intensity level up every shift. I think a few Habs Players can learn from him.

Byron = Bargain Bin Move = Bergevin Non-supporters Sting! I like it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bryon is still a very useful player. He's not a top 6 guy, but he is a good bottom 6 player.

I don't like him on the PP however...

There is what you call top 6 talent but then there is what you call middle 6 talent (like Byron). Confusing I know, but Byron can play on the top line or 2nd line depending on line-up configurations. Or he can play 3rd line. His ablity to play both LW and RW and play a well rounded game is very valuable.

Reactions: scrubadam

David25

Nov 22, 2016
A great hockey mind would have capitalized on Byron amazing season last year and traded him when his value was at the highest.
But Bergevin!
why trade an elite skater LW who popped in the second most goals on the team (22) and that plays in every situation? Also not to mention his 1.1 million dollar cap hit

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
why trade an elite skater LW who popped in the second most goals on the team (22) and that plays in every situation? Also not to mention his 1.1 million dollar cap hit
Byron has more value to us than he has in a trade. He's signed dirt cheap, chips in offensively and works his ass off.. it isn't like he'd get us a top prospect or a young top six forward for him in a trade.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Yes. Did you see him score on any of those scoring chances like he did last year? Neither did I.

So? What matters is that he's getting those chances. He will eventually start scoring on them.

If last year was a fluke, he wouldn't be getting that many scoring chances.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
He's on pace for 26 goals. Got 22 last year. All for just 1.1M/year. Great depth player who works hard and can score. Underrated signing.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Like I said whats not to love about Byron.

First goal is the reason why Byron will always have a spot on my team.

Reactions: windycity

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
He's on pace for 26 goals. Got 22 last year. All for just 1.1M/year. Great depth player who works hard and can score. Underrated signing.

He's on his way to establishing himself as more than a depth player. His blazing speed with even less hooking and stickwork makes him a very dangerous offensive player. I don't even think he's at his most confident yet.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I seriously never understood why some fans were saying last season was a fluke. It made it seem like he came out of nowhere by completly ignoring the fact that he was also scoring goals in his first season with us.

He had 11 goals in 62 games with us the first season. If he played a full season he would have had 15 goals.

Even if he was going to regress it wasn’t going to be by much. After playing on pace for 15 goals in year 1 and 22 goals in year 2. I thought his chance was decent to do a repeat.

Congratulations to Ti Paul Biron on his first hat trick.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs two way playing is paying off consistently as their play would dictate, it was only a matter of time and that time has arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->