Player Discussion Paul Byron

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by M.C.G. 31, Apr 21, 2017.

1. BehindTheTimes

BehindTheTimes Registered User

Completely disagree, love this signing and I also completely disagree with your assessment that he's more valuable to someone else than he is to us. This was a great signing imo.

2. Saundies

Saundies Registered User

Out week-to-week now, per Julien today. You never really know what you got til it's gone, and now with the injury to Armia it seems that guys are going to be slotted into weird spots in the line-up for a while.

With him and Armia in, it looks much better:

Tatar - Danault - Gally
    Drouin - Domi - Byron
    Finnish line
    Hudon - Peca - Shaw

3. LaP

LaP Registered User

Why? It's easy to say it's a great signing but why? In which plan to eventually win a cup is signing Byron a great signing?

I'll say why i think it's not a great signing. We are not winning a cup in the next 3 to 5 years. After that period Byron will be past his prime and will be a replaceable player easily. Our goal right now should 100% be to add elite talents. In 2018 pretty much the only way to add elite talents is thru the draft. To do that you must acquire picks. Drafting players is not an exact science and the more times you go at the bat the higher are the chances you draft elite talents.

I firmly believe with his current contract Byron was worth a 1st round pick. At the deadline he adds like ~600 000 to the cap. Getting more first round picks should 100% be the plan in the situation we are in right now. Byron with his new contract is not worthless but he will interest less teams since they'll have to pay him 3 millions for many years and a lot of the cup contending teams are close to the cap already (you wont get picks from bottom feeders).

Less interest means less value. If i'm a cup contending team i'm interested in Byron to finish the year but not sure i want to tie 3 millions of my cap for many years on an unproven player. I know lot of people worship Byron like he is the 2nd coming of Jesus but the fact remains he has just one 40+ points season and just two 20+ goals seasons. Both of those seasons were over 80 games (he did not do those numbers in 75 something games).

I also believe we have more than enough vet and leadership without Byron. We have Price. We have Weber. Gallagher and Danault are old enough to play a bigger leadership role. I just don't see what is the purpose of Byron in any plan to rebuild/retool and eventually win a cup. It simply doesn't make any sense for me to keep this guy if you aim to win a cup when the kids will be old enough to contend which will be past Byron's prime.

mariolemieux66 likes this.
  4. Koivu11

Koivu11 Fire Bergevin

5. Drouin92

Drouin92 Registered User

He's going to be huge for us when he comes back

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Tyson and Le Tricolore like this.
  6. MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee Global Moderator

That is good news. Will help our p.k and adds depth scoring and is good defensively. He should help. Hudon probably loses his spot in the line-up.

7. Bacchus1

Bacchus1 Registered User

Great news. With Weber also likely back, the team will get some much needed support.

Tuggy and Victorius like this.
  8. Victorius

Victorius Registered User

Right !

too bad Armia and Juulsen, two of our tallest, biggest physical players are injured for a while.

9. Tyson

Tyson Registered User

Byron and Weber will make a huge difference. Weber will need several games so we need to expect some rust

26Mats and FrankMTL like this.
  10. FrankMTL

FrankMTL Registered User

They do make a huge difference. It's easy to forget how effective Paul Byron is. Even with his new contract he is definitely valuable on the trade market. Easily on pace for another 20 goal season over 82 games. In fact, he would be on pace for over 30 goals over 82 games, but obviously that would be a long shot.

11. Tyson

Tyson Registered User

Paul Byron out of the line up has a huge impact on this team. He is just a terrific player. He is worth the money he is being paid.

Holystik, 26Mats, Acadien86 and 2 others like this.
  12. Captain Mountain

Captain Mountain Formerly Captain Wolverine

The thing with Byron though is that he does so many little things that he's worth it even when he's not scoring.

13. Max2

Max2 Registered User

Like the announcer said last night,Byron is the Swiss army knife of hockey players.He can do it all and has some of the fastest skates in the business.

26Mats and Tyson like this.
  14. 26Mats

26Mats Registered User

We're a pretty solid all around team that can realistically compete with any team in the league when healthy.

If I were management I would seriously be looking at ways to prevent injury, educating players on which dangerous plays to avoid. The game has become safer, so I do think there will be less injuries. But one of the most critical keys to our success this year is avoiding injuries. We don't have that one big line to carry us. But we do have 4 very solid lines.