Player Discussion Paul Byron

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Bergevin sees the team fighting for a playoff spot, thinks we can pull a Vegas. Bergevin loves Byron (who doesn’t?) If we’re even remotely close to a wild card spot I bet he keeps Byron.. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs a 4 year deal before the TDL honestly.

Té un devin!!!!

Reactions: Shad

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty confident we can get a 1st for him. I'd welcome him back with open arms if he wants to sign with us in free agency though.

Well so much for Byron getting traded.

He just signed an extension 4 years 3.4 AAV. Ironically, given the sheepish follow the heard copy cat league mentality of most GMs, this probably increased his trade value.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Bergevin sees the team fighting for a playoff spot, thinks we can pull a Vegas. Bergevin loves Byron (who doesn’t?) If we’re even remotely close to a wild card spot I bet he keeps Byron.. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs a 4 year deal before the TDL honestly.

If Bergevin misses the playoffs, he's probably getting fired. I'm sure he's doing everything he can to make it.

Reactions: Miller Time

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Timing of the deal makes no sense for the team...

Love Byron, have no issue with the cap hit, though the term is a bit long.... But why does this signing need to happen now?

Even if he has a similar season this year, waiting till mid season or later doesn't drive that cap hit up much if at all. Signing him now just takes on additional risk for nothing.

Poor asset management once more.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto

Love Byron, have no issue with the cap hit, though the term is a bit long.... But why does this signing need to happen now?

Even if he has a similar season this year, waiting till mid season or later doesn't drive that cap hit up much if at all. Signing him now just takes on additional risk for nothing.

I think they're banking on him getting another 20 goal season this year, he'll have more opportunities with Pacioretty gone.

If he was pacing for another 20 goal season by mid-season, I think it would have cost us more.

Reactions: Frenchy

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
I think they're banking on him getting another 20 goal season this year, he'll have more opportunities with Pacioretty gone.

If he was pacing for another 20 goal season by mid-season, I think it would have cost us more.

If he's pacing for 20+, Byron has way more value as a trade chip to help a contender than he does as part of Montreal's horde of middling wingers.

Byron is a perfect mid-season pick up for a contending team. His cap hit is minimal. He plays a position were he can be put lower on the depth chart and move up as needed. His offensive value is on ES and th e the PK and not PP, so there is little opportunity cost to your star players involved in getting offense out of him and he's a plus PKer, which frees up better players from PK duty.

He's worth much less to a team like Montreal, that has no cap issues this year and lacks the star talent to play in front of him to get the best value out of Byron.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
If he's pacing for 20+, Byron has way more value as a trade chip to help a contender than he does as part of Montreal's horde of middling wingers.

Byron is a perfect mid-season pick up for a contending team. His cap hit is minimal. He plays a position were he can be put lower on the depth chart and move up as needed. His offensive value is on ES and th e the PK and not PP, so there is little opportunity cost to your star players involved in getting offense out of him and he's a plus PKer, which frees up better players from PK duty.

He's worth much less to a team like Montreal, that has no cap issues this year and lacks the star talent to play in front of him to get the best value out of Byron.

3.4m for a depth player isn't easy for contending teams who are usually spending up to the cap imo

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
This is why you don't give him that contract. You let him be a UFA.

Oh I see your point...you're saying we should have traded him at deadline. He wouldn't fetch more than a 2nd imo.

Byron will be our oldest forward after Pleks leafs at the end of the year...veteran leadership is never a bad thing, especially when it comes with 20 goals and only costs 3.4m

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Oh I see your point...you're saying we should have traded him at deadline. He wouldn't fetch more than a 2nd imo.

Byron will be our oldest forward after Pleks leafs at the end of the year...veteran leadership is never a bad thing, especially when it comes with 20 goals and only costs 3.4m
But we have plenty of veteran in the lineup, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko, Benn, Plekanec, Gallagher, Armia, Danault, Tatar, Shaw, Weber and I think they sign Ward for our lack of RW and size. What we need to do is to make space for Lehkonen, Hudon and Scherbak.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

When MB does this ala Pleks a few seasons ago, it seems to invite mediocrity from the player, I sure hope not, but..............I think most of us thought he would get the Pleks treatment and used to get us a draft pick at the deadline...but we are talking Bergevin here, so.....

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I call it right now we will regret this contract before the end. We just destroyed his value and wont be ready to win before his prime is over. He was the perfect candidate to get a pick at the deadline. Replaceable player soon to be 30 years old.

Marc Bergevin gonna be Marc Bergevin i guess. Nothing against the player but we have too many bottom 6 guys and with his contract he had value. Here's the list of guys who should be bottom 6 on a cup contending team :

Peca
Shaw
Danault
Byron
Hudon
Lehkonen
Armia

That's 7 players who all can be legitimate 3rd line players and who have no business being in a top 6 of a cup contending team (unless they are on a cap friendly contract). That's way too much. It doesn't give us any room to give some kids a chance in the upcoming years.

To me what it means is MB sees some of those guys has legitimate top 6 players. And this will not end well for us. For me MB officially entered the Rejean Houle territory. We are not tanking and we are trying to win with energy guys. It did not work for Houle and it wont work for MB.

Last edited:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
But we have plenty of veteran in the lineup, Petry, Alzner, Schlemko, Benn, Plekanec, Gallagher, Armia, Danault, Tatar, Shaw, Weber and I think they sign Ward for our lack of RW and size. What we need to do is to make space for Lehkonen, Hudon and Scherbak.

The thing is Byron is not even a vet (at the NHL level). He has less NHL experience than Galchenyk for god sake.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I was actually thinking he was more a resign candidate than a trade candidate for us.

Rebuilding can cause a bit of a trade everyone over 25 frenzy.

Thing is , 20 goal scorers aren't exactly a dime a dozen, especially who are defensively responsible which is a must for Habs players.

Byron of course fits the " new" team identity of speed, which he has to spare. Also beneficial is he gets his points from that speed on a rush down the ice. He can pretty much be put on any line and should produce. This is also a factor and doesnt fit the role player I have heard him referred as being. A guy like Shaw is a role player who bangs in pucks if opportunity presents, Byron usually creates his own chances from his speed.

I was thinking a 4 year deal between $3.5M -$4.0M so this comes in fine.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If MB gets fired, you can still trade Byron as it doesn't look like he has any trade protection (NTC, NMC), retain 50% and he should get you something decent down the road.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I call it right now we will regret this contract before the end. We just destroyed his value and wont be ready to win before his prime is over. He was the perfect candidate to get a pick at the deadline. Replaceable player soon to be 30 years old.

Marc Bergevin gonna be Marc Bergevin i guess. Nothing against the player but we have too many bottom 6 guys and with his contract he had value. Here's the list of guys who should be bottom 6 on a cup contending team :

Peca
Shaw
Danault
Byron
Hudon
Lehkonen
Armia

That's 7 players who all can be legitimate 3rd line players and who have no business being in a top 6 of a cup contending team (unless they are on a cap friendly contract). That's way too much. It doesn't give us any room to give some kids a chance in the upcoming years.

To me what it means is MB sees some of those guys has legitimate top 6 players. And this will not end well for us. For me MB officially entered the Rejean Houle territory. We are not tanking and we are trying to win with energy guys. It did not work for Houle and it wont work for MB.

Is MB as anti-top six as he was with windows?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

Agreed.

I don't know why we'd lock him up for four years. We have wingers enough, should be rebuilding and this guy is a good trading chip. It's not a terrible signing or anything but I think we'd have just been better dealing him.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Possibly, but if we weren't ready to commit, then he'd also be worth a lot as a deadline rental...

His cap hit this year + another year of 20 goal pace = 1st round pick +(+)

That's clearly value a rebuilding franchise should have kept open.

Long term extension to a middle-6 vet is about the last priority a team in our situation should be comitting to.

Poor devusion making, lack of vision, lack of strategy...

Reactions: mariolemieux66

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If MB gets fired, you can still trade Byron as it doesn't look like he has any trade protection (NTC, NMC), retain 50% and he should get you something decent down the road.
Pretty sure we could get 1st for him. Any contender would take it if he was available. He would transform any 3rd/4th line and PK into a threat offensively while playing 200 foot hockey. Just my opinion.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Again yesterday he show me why he was name Alternate Captain. Like Gallagher, Byron is giving his 100% every shift. He's the kind of guy you want to follow on this ice.

Wise pick by Bergerin and Julien.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Had to go 4 pages deep to find his thread - Byron has quietly put together a terrific start to the season. 5 points in as many games, 3 goals as well as a shootout goal, and as always a threat on the PK. Definitely deserves some props, he’s been very good so far for the Habs - and he’s the most entertaining interview as well as a bonus!

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Had to go 4 pages deep to find his thread - Byron has quietly put together a terrific start to the season. 5 points in as many games, 3 goals as well as a shootout goal, and as always a threat on the PK. Definitely deserves some props, he’s been very good so far for the Habs - and he’s the most entertaining interview as well as a bonus!

He's been locked in to start the year. Excellent first 5 games. I'm hoping that if Kotkaniemi and Byron are together for a while, the kid's playmaking could spring Byron on some chances others wouldn't be able to make. I could honestly see Byron try for 30 this year, given our lack of top talent, he could get the minutes to get into the 20s. Love that he's wearing an A, well earned.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I would have traded him if I could have got a first round pick. High chances i could. Mainly for the pick plus he would lose a guy to waivers also. Where we had so many forwards in camp. But he is proving me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->