Player Discussion Paul Byron

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
To be honest it would be a crime if we put him on the 4th lines to start the season.

CLaude Julien love players that can play a solid 2 ways game. I would be shock if he doesnt start the season on the 3rd.

The kind of production he had last year while playing with Plek and other teams top line is pretty crazy.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I don't get why people say his shooting percentage is unsustainable. The majority of his goals are breakaways created by his speed. When all your scoring chances are breakaways of course you're going to have a ridiculous shooting percentage. I dont think last year was a fluke. I believe he could score 40 points again given the ice time.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't get why people say his shooting percentage is unsustainable.

Because it is. No player since 1990 has been able to sustain over 18% over a period of 400+ games. Not a single one.

Unless you think Byron is a generational talent able to sustain 23% SH% while no player since 1990 has been able to sustain over 18% then it wont happen. Byron is not the first speedy player having lot of breakaways.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't get why people say his shooting percentage is unsustainable. The majority of his goals are breakaways created by his speed. When all your scoring chances are breakaways of course you're going to have a ridiculous shooting percentage. I dont think last year was a fluke. I believe he could score 40 points again given the ice time.

Stive, you're not the only one who is under the mistaken impression that Paul Byron scores the majority of his goals on breakaways. In reality, he'll score a handful. Most of his goals are from in close, banging in rebounds, deflections, shots from the slot. Exactly the type of goals one expects Gallagher to score.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The impressive part of his season last year was 38 of his points were at even strength. That's even more than guys like Johansen, Perry, Bergeron, Kopitar and Giroux had to name a few higher profile names.

Hard to say how many points he'll get this year given we don't know who he'll play with, but if he can even get 30 points it is a steal for his salary.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I'm expecting Byron to pick up where he left off last season, proving that he's just getting started toward a long career with the Habs.:nod::nod::nod:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Stive, you're not the only one who is under the mistaken impression that Paul Byron scores the majority of his goals on breakaways. In reality, he'll score a handful. Most of his goals are from in close, banging in rebounds, deflections, shots from the slot. Exactly the type of goals one expects Gallagher to score.

Exactly. Last year, three goals on a breakaway, out of 22, then one on a rush to a loose puck for an empty netter from the blue line and a final one where speed was a real factor, with him unexpectedly rushing up the ice to turn a one on one into a two on one and to score an easy goal on a nice pass.

17 goals scored paying the price in close in traffic. Gallagher goals, most times, an overwhelming majority of times, actually. Same goes for Lehkonen who also paid the price on a majority of his goals.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I hope Byron proves everyone wrong this year like he did last year.

Fun player and a great story for making it in the NHL.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Being healthy and trusted, building his confidence, it's all Byron needed to finally being able to show what he is capable of in this league. This guy is not trending down. I expect another 20 goals plus season from him.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'm in the Paul Byron bandwagon, I don't think last season was a fluke. Let's not forget he was still able to manage 11 goals in 62 games the season before. Even if he reverts back to "normal" he would still be good for atleast 15 goals in a 82 games schedule.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm in the Paul Byron bandwagon, I don't think last season was a fluke. Let's not forget he was still able to manage 11 goals in 62 games the season before. Even if he reverts back to "normal" he would still be good for atleast 15 goals in a 82 games schedule.

Don't think it was a fluke either. When you have that sort of speed along with decent hands and are willing to crash the net, you're bound to get good looks.

I'm a big fan of his. Loved the pickup before he even played a game. Hes just a very exciting player to watch. Low maintenance sort of guy too which the coaches love. Solid defensively and on a great contract. Can play with anyone. Calgary must be kicking themselves.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Don't think it was a fluke either. When you have that sort of speed along with decent hands and are willing to crash the net, you're bound to get good looks.

I'm a big fan of his. Loved the pickup before he even played a game. Hes just a very exciting player to watch. Low maintenance sort of guy too which the coaches love. Solid defensively and on a great contract. Can play with anyone. Calgary must be kicking themselves.

I'm also expecting good things again from Lord Byron, but it will depend on where he falls in on the team's depth chart.

If Julien uses him higher in the lineup more often the not, he'll get close to 20 goals again.

If Bergevin adds further top-6 depth up the middle with the remaining Cap space and futures, the team's depth at wing will likely see Byron slide down in the lineup, with less TOI, playing with lesser offensive line mates in the process.

Otherwise, for Byron to be nearer to 20 goals, he'll have to play on a third line with a more offensive mission, albeit under a more defensive coach. That's uncertain.

There will also be pressure to play Byron lower in the bottom-6 because of the 1.167M salary and higher salaries for players like Shaw (3.9M).

I'd be happy if Byron scores 15 playing up and down the lineup. 20 would be great for him -- and us -- provided that it doesn't happen as a result of Byron getting the TOI of underperforming players to do it.

If a potential 30-goal scorer ends up scoring 18Gs after losing ice time because of poor performances and Byron gets 20 goals instead of 15 by benefitting from those minutes, the team won't be much further ahead.

It's not unlike Weise, Moen or some other supporting staff player getting career years because they are playing on the first line and 1st PP wave when they, if your top-6 players are producing to their potential, really shouldn't be playing such a role.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm also expecting good things again from Lord Byron, but it will depend on where he falls in on the team's depth chart.

If Julien uses him higher in the lineup more often the not, he'll get close to 20 goals again.

If Bergevin adds further top-6 depth up the middle with the remaining Cap space and futures, the team's depth at wing will likely see Byron slide down in the lineup, with less TOI, playing with lesser offensive line mates in the process.

Otherwise, for Byron to be nearer to 20 goals, he'll have to play on a third line with a more offensive mission, albeit under a more defensive coach. That's uncertain.

There will also be pressure to play Byron lower in the bottom-6 because of the 1.167M salary and higher salaries for players like Shaw (3.9M).

I'd be happy if Byron scores 15 playing up and down the lineup. 20 would be great for him -- and us -- provided that it doesn't happen as a result of Byron getting the TOI of underperforming players to do it.

If a potential 30-goal scorer ends up scoring 18Gs after losing ice time because of poor performances and Byron gets 20 goals instead of 15 by benefitting from those minutes, the team won't be much further ahead.

It's not unlike Weise, Moen or some other supporting staff player getting career years because they are playing on the first line and 1st PP wave when they, if your top-6 players are producing to their potential, really shouldn't be playing such a role.

That's true. Byron has proven he can produce regardless of his linemates though. Put him on the third line and watch him poach goals. He can really exploit slower and weaker defense men. 3rd liner that can move up the lineup in case a man goes down

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That's true. Byron has proven he can produce regardless of his linemates though. Put him on the third line and watch him poach goals. He can really exploit slower and weaker defense men. 3rd liner that can move up the lineup in case a man goes down

For sure. And the poster that mentioned confidence regarding Byron was, I believe, dead on. In CAL, Byron was getting tons of breakaways but, failing to convert on the vast majority of those. I saw a montage of one season of breakaways from Byron and it was pathetic to watch as he kept missing to convert on opportunities. He really looked like he had no shot an no moves back then.

Was confidence the trigger for what we see now, or did he somehow actually improve his shot and his moves?

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Byron on the 4th line would be wrong. He's the third best left winger if Chuck plays centre and Drouin plays RW.

He shouldn't touch the top six (unless injury to Patches or Lehkonen) but he doesn't have to.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Love Pauly. Considering he'll probably be on one of the bottom 6 lines barring injury, anything above and beyond 15 and 15 is a great season for the him and the team.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Love Pauly. Considering he'll probably be on one of the bottom 6 lines barring injury, anything above and beyond 15 and 15 is a great season for the him and the team.
Galchenyuk and Gallagher will most likely score 20+ goals and so will Drouin.
I also would add Lehkonen to that list.

With 5 players scoring 20+ goals, Byron getting 15 goals is really good.
How many teams with 5 players who can score 20 goals and two who can score 30 goals?
If Byron, Shaw, Plekanec, Hemsky and Danault can all get between 30 and 40 points this team will have offense.

TBH, there are only two spots in offense among all these other players: Hudon, DLR, Mitchell, Holland, Froese, Carr, Martinsen and even McCarron.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Byron on the 4th line would be wrong. He's the third best left winger if Chuck plays centre and Drouin plays RW.

He shouldn't touch the top six (unless injury to Patches or Lehkonen) but he doesn't have to.

I think Hudon took Byron's spot in the top 9. Byron is destine to play 4th line but our 4th line will actually be pretty good IMO. Byron will get his ice time on the PK and with injuries (if he don't get hurt himself).

The other guy to keep a close eye on is Hemsky. If he can help set up some of our shooters and it results into goals, he sticks in our top 9.

Byron is in stiff competition and it's a good thing

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I love Byron's fight. He proved me so wrong last year when I predicted he'll probably be playing in the AHL. The guy just shows up and we need players with more heart like him. He's a great team player and he won't complain where Julien plays him too

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
No one should count out Byron. Don't care if he starts on the 4th line or in Alaska the guy is going to work his butt off and force CJ's hand.

He will be in the top 9 sooner rather than later and maybe even spot duty in the top 6.

If anyone should worry its AG. Not a veiled jab at him but Byron is the antithesis of AG. Speed, hustle, smarts. If AG keeps dogging it CJ will turn to Byron very quickly.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I certainly believe the Paul Byron hype and believe he will score 20 goals again this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad