Player Discussion Paul Byron

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I don't even know the details of the rule anymore, but if it was a headshot, regardless if he left his feet or not, it should be an illegal hit and considered a dirty hit.

Although Byron didn't intend to injure him. Given what we now know about concussions and CTE, delivering a head shot like this, although accidental, is still careless and reckless, and imo has no place in the game. Byron had time to make sure he hit the player in the shoulder. He should have been more careful.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
The hit will probably end with a game or two suspension, (full disclosure, I haven't watched the hit enough times or closely enough to have a definitive opinion) with the fake news whining about hits to head while never broaching the subject of permanently banning players like Wilson who routinely head hunt. Don't get me wrong, when a player takes the head of his opponent it's wrong, no matter the jersey, but the status quo fakers in the media can stop pretending to be outraged every time it happens. There's a player in the league who has been suspended for more days by himself for that very reason than entire teams of players.

Also, Paul Byron (as it's his thread) has consistently shown us that he's the greatest waiver pick up for Montreal and maybe in history. Even counting his injury he's literally on pace for 20 goals this year. The amount of games he's played with the amount of games left still leave him time to score 20 considering his current pace. MB deserves full credit for snagging this guy.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
The hit will probably end with a game or two suspension, (full disclosure, I haven't watched the hit enough times or closely enough to have a definitive opinion) with the fake news whining about hits to head while never broaching the subject of permanently banning players like Wilson who routinely head hunt. Don't get me wrong, when a player takes the head of his opponent it's wrong, no matter the jersey, but the status quo fakers in the media can stop pretending to be outraged every time it happens. There's a player in the league who has been suspended for more days by himself for that very reason than entire teams of players.

Also, Paul Byron (as it's his thread) has consistently shown us that he's the greatest waiver pick up for Montreal and maybe in history. Even counting his injury he's literally on pace for 20 goals this year. The amount of games he's played with the amount of games left still leave him time to score 20 considering his current pace. MB deserves full credit for snagging this guy.

Wasn't MSL a waiver pick up?

Not to take away for Paul, one of my favs and I have been defending him on this board for years. Love the guy and he is a really important piece to this team.

His speed is truly elite.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Seems so strange that Lord Byron is getting a hearing.... lol
He would be low on my list of players I'd expect this to happen to.

Saw the hit, give him a game and call it done. It will likely be his first and last offense of this nature.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Seems so strange that Lord Byron is getting a hearing.... lol
He would be low on my list of players I'd expect this to happen to.

Saw the hit, give him a game and call it done. It will likely be his first and last offense of this nature.

Damn that Napoleon complex! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Censored Toad
Aug 25, 2009
éal
So who replace him with Tatar and Domi if he's suspended one game? Hudon? Shaw is back on skates, probably not ready to do so?

If he is :

Tatar - Drouin - Shaw/Hudon
Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Deslauriers - Peca - Agostino

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
The slashing that goes on in the league behind the play, and they focus on this...

What about the knee to Domi's head?
The league's concern about eliminating blows to the head doesn't appear to extend to fighting where we have 200 lb + athletes attempting to punch each other senseless to the roars of the adoring crowd. A hockey fight, where there is premeditated intent to cause injury, gets you 5 minutes. While a body check thrown in the course of competitive play can result in a 5 game suspension. Talk about confused moralists. But then again, fighting sells tickets to the masses. And isn't that what this is all about?

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
The league's concern about eliminating blows to the head doesn't appear to extend to fighting where we have 200 lb + athletes attempting to punch each other senseless to the roars of the adoring crowd. A hockey fight, where there is premeditated intent to cause injury, gets you 5 minutes. While a body check thrown in the course of competitive play can result in a 5 game suspension. Talk about confused moralists. But then again, fighting sells tickets to the masses. And isn't that what this is all about?

Fighting is part of the game but head hit isn't.

The number of fights are decreasing every year. It's going in the right direction

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I have no problem with that suspension, he really jumped on him at full speed, whether you're 160lbs or 230 shouldn't matter.

Problem I have is that the consistency with suspensions is a joke most of the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad