Player Discussion Paul Byron

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I hope we trade him ASAP. We have too many players right now who could breakout if given the right minutes (Armia, Lehk, Scherbak, Hudon and even guys like DLR and Peca). I doubt his value will increase much more if we wait.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I hope we trade him ASAP. We have too many players right now who could breakout if given the right minutes (Armia, Lehk, Scherbak, Hudon and even guys like DLR and Peca). I doubt his value will increase much more if we wait.

for sure if a team comes calling he should be made available
At the same time if he keeps getting big minutes and has another solid start to the season, could be an even better return come deadline day him being a UFA

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I like Lord Byron a lot but he should definitely be on the block this next TDL. Even if we flirt with a PO position Bergevin should build for the future and trade him.
My sentiments as well. He was a very nice pickup for us but he just doesn't fit with the rebuild. Should get a decent return for him.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
It's gonna suck when we lose him for a first at the deadline. He's an awesome player.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's gonna suck when we lose him for a first at the deadline. He's an awesome player.

I'm starting to think that if Paul is willing to sign for under $3M for 2-3 years, maybe we should not trade him at the TDL, unless there is a clear agreement that he come back after the season.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I'm starting to think that if Paul is willing to sign for under $3M for 2-3 years, maybe we should not trade him at the TDL, unless there is a clear agreement that he come back after the season.

I love Paul from the bottom of my heart, but getting a first for him would be the best possible asset management. We need to build for the future.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I love Paul from the bottom of my heart, but getting a first for him would be the best possible asset management. We need to build for the future.

Compared to other players that have fetched a 1st in the past, I think he's worth more. But, for some reason, his value never seems to be a 1st. Hopefully he's on pace for at least 20 goals again this year and a GM steps up with a 1st. We have too many wingers and he'll be too old by the time we're contenders.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
Bergevin sees the team fighting for a playoff spot, thinks we can pull a Vegas. Bergevin loves Byron (who doesn’t?) If we’re even remotely close to a wild card spot I bet he keeps Byron.. Wouldn’t be surprised if he signs a 4 year deal before the TDL honestly.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
I f***ing love Paul. One of numbnuts' best move.

Let's not go the oilers way and trade everyone with a modicum of value. But I wouldn't be mad if he was traded for a good return

Taken from the waivers....

Reactions: Habs Icing

crazyd74

Jun 24, 2018
Hudon (less speed than Byron),
Peca (quite even all around as Byron),
Scherbak (more talent, less gusto than Byron)

Then you have Chaput and Shinkaruk that are making a statement for themselves. And DLR and McCarron that can roleplay - moreso DLR than McC.

Are all the internal competition facing Byron, who is a great serviceable player in any lineup. You NEED guys like Byron to be a good team.

It will come down to chemistry, upside and attitude within the system that Julien puts in place.

Only negatives will be the eternal question mark on Byron's health (injuries) as he is getting closer to 30, and how he will fit within our cap in the next few years seeing how Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and Poehling will be charging on for a spot on the roster.

Our depth will require us to part ways with quality players. NHL should expand eastward and northward from Montreal :)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Pretty confident we can get a 1st for him. I'd welcome him back with open arms if he wants to sign with us in free agency though.

Are you talking about a 1st now before camp ends and final cuts have to be made or a 1st at the trade deadline?

Because if it's a 1st at the trade deadline, that means a young player has to sit in the stands until the trade deadline. Or, you cut ties with a player like DLR in favor of playing Byron, so that you can get a 1st at the trade deadline. The tradeoff being what you get for DLR now + what you get for Byron at the trade deadline is greater than what you get for Byron now + what DLR will become with the ice time he gets from the extra spot from Byron being moved.

The thing is, while I think Byron brings so much more than what a lot of players did in the past that fetched 1sts, I get the sense he's not as highly valued around the league. I don't think it's an accident he scored 20 the last two years. He's got a good shot in the slot. He gets to pucks quicker than anyone. If he was playing with good offensive linemates all year (like when he played with Chucky and Radulov two years ago) who knows how many he could score - 25, 30? Yet, he might not fetch as high a return as Plekanec did last year or even this year!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->