Paul Bissonnette gets a 10 Game Regular Season Ban; UPDATE: Reduced to a 3 Game Ban

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Confused by some of the Biz opinions I've read on this issue. Do we like Paul Bissonette? Is he a valued, appreciated member of the team?

Reduction makes sense to me. When I hear, "leaving the bench ..." I visualize a shirtless Stu Grimson tweaked out on uppers skating into walls at the old United Center, and that's absolutely not what happened here.

He is very well liked on this team but others like myself have been highly critical of his on the ice performance. As an objective and fair as I can be possible kind of poster, I do give Biz mad props for doing what he did in that game by standing up for his team and teammate Kiesla when it matters the most. Hopefully he can build upon being a successful goon based on what he did vs Nolan.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Confused by some of the Biz opinions I've read on this issue. Do we like Paul Bissonette? Is he a valued, appreciated member of the team?

The only reason I think he's still around is that he is magic in the room. Very funny guy. Kept guys loose during the ownership drama. Can't take a regular shift and can't enforce anything. Good 'fighter' but that's only against other goons. A relic with a twitter following.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Looks like Biz's appeal worked: 3 game suspension instead of 10

Except there wasn't an appeal. That was scheduled for tomorrow. The NHLPA and Bissonette have dropped the appeal.

The league decided there wasn't enough video evidence to clearly support the rule violation and statements from teammates and Tippett supported his contention he was already called up for a line change.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Except there wasn't an appeal. That was scheduled for tomorrow. The NHLPA and Bissonette have dropped the appeal.

The league decided there wasn't enough video evidence to clearly support the rule violation and statements from teammates and Tippett supported his contention he was already called up for a line change.

If you want to get pedantic about it, sure. But would the league have even bothered to reconsider the length of suspension if Biz had not announced he would appeal? Probably not.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun

A plea bargain?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If you want to get pedantic about it, sure. But would the league have even bothered to reconsider the length of suspension if Biz had not announced he would appeal? Probably not.

Not going to guess what the league would have or wouldn't have done. The original suspension was assessed automatically because of the misconduct penalty issued at the game.

But the team had submitted statements to the league about the incident separately from Bissonette's action.

Bottom line is the league adjusted the penalty on their own. Bissonette was going to present additional video had the appeal with the commissioner taken place, and for all anyone knows he might have gotten a better result. But he decided to take the 3 and move on.

Sorry if I'm appearing to pick nits... side effect from living in the BoH megathread for 3+ years where facts and contexts were often abused.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->