Paul Bissonnette gets a 10 Game Regular Season Ban; UPDATE: Reduced to a 3 Game Ban

JTPoni23

Dec 26, 2012
Barrie, Ontario
Hopefully they buy it and the ruling is overturned. Although it would be such sweet poetic justice if Biz returned against the Kings, fought Nolan and won, then scored a goal. I may be grasping just a bit...but anything can happen.

Blubba Jenkins

Not that Insightful
May 30, 2008
NE Florida
Even if they decide the 10 gamer is warranted, maybe they can at least factor in the preseason games as part of the suspension, even if they are at reduced value. Since he's going to miss 4 preseason games, maybe they can lower the sentence to 8 games, at least?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Even if they decide the 10 gamer is warranted, maybe they can at least factor in the preseason games as part of the suspension, even if they are at reduced value. Since he's going to miss 4 preseason games, maybe they can lower the sentence to 8 games, at least?

Biz can still play in pre-season games. The 10 game clock would start in the regular season.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Hopefully they buy it and the ruling is overturned. Although it would be such sweet poetic justice if Biz returned against the Kings, fought Nolan and won, then scored a goal. I may be grasping just a bit...but anything can happen.

Biz would be paid a lot more and be in the lineup more often if he just dropped the whole code thing and was a pure enforcer.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
Not that I'm overly upset with losing Biz for a few games he probably wouldn't play in anyway, but can someone explain to me why Shanahan game Biz 10 regular season games for a very minor incident and Teemu Pulkkinen got 4 preseason game suspension for a dirty hit from behind? Not arguing the length as the 10 games is clear in the rulebook, but why the discrepancy between preseason and regular season?

Does Shanahan hate the yotes that much? Did Roenick make fun of him a few too many times on the ice or something?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Not that I'm overly upset with losing Biz for a few games he probably wouldn't play in anyway, but can someone explain to me why Shanahan game Biz 10 regular season games for a very minor incident and Teemu Pulkkinen got 4 preseason game suspension for a dirty hit from behind? Not arguing the length as the 10 games is clear in the rulebook, but why the discrepancy between preseason and regular season?

Does Shanahan hate the yotes that much? Did Roenick make fun of him a few too many times on the ice or something?

AIUI..... the ten game suspension is mandatory for leaving the bench to enter into a fight. This wasn't a Shanahan thing as much as that's what the NHL rules say.

The crux of the argument is going to be Biz was scheduled to take the ice at that juncture. However, the skater he was replacing (Domi) hadn't come off, and was in fact in the middle of the same scrum himself.

Appeals are supposed to made to the commissioner first. But the new CBA allows that penalties over 5 games can be taken to an neutral arbitrator.

Not sure yet if Biz is going to the arbitrator route, but he and his agent did consult with the NHLPA prior to making the decision to appeal.

Sounds to me like they want to test this new system.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
AIUI..... the ten game suspension is mandatory for leaving the bench to enter into a fight. This wasn't a Shanahan thing as much as that's what the NHL rules say.

The crux of the argument is going to be Biz was scheduled to take the ice at that juncture. However, the skater he was replacing (Domi) hadn't come off, and was in fact in the middle of the same scrum himself.

Appeals are supposed to made to the commissioner first. But the new CBA allows that penalties over 5 games can be taken to an neutral arbitrator.

Not sure yet if Biz is going to the arbitrator route, but he and his agent did consult with the NHLPA prior to making the decision to appeal.

Sounds to me like they want to test this new system.

Sorry I must not have been clear. I'm aware that Biz's ten games for leaving the bench is very clear in the rule book and I'm fine with that. My issue was why his suspension was ten regular season games, whereas the hit from behind was only suspendable for pre season games.

Unless the rules specifically specify that 10 games for leaving the bench must be regular season games, then yeah thats fine. Otherwise why the discrepancy? That was the question/point I was getting at. :)

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Sorry I must not have been clear. I'm aware that Biz's ten games for leaving the bench is very clear in the rule book and I'm fine with that. My issue was why his suspension was ten regular season games, whereas the hit from behind was only suspendable for pre season games.

Unless the rules specifically specify that 10 games for leaving the bench must be regular season games, then yeah thats fine. Otherwise why the discrepancy? That was the question/point I was getting at. :)

add to this the fact that torres suspension for the Hossa hit did not count preseason games the next season... don't remember if Torres played preseason games last year? or maybe they made a special coyote rule... preseason games don't count but you can't play in them either.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
add to this the fact that torres suspension for the Hossa hit did not count preseason games the next season... don't remember if Torres played preseason games last year? or maybe they made a special coyote rule... preseason games don't count but you can't play in them either.

There was no preseason last year.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
There was no preseason last year.

lol, what a moron..... in that case we can assume Shatty and co would have screwed the Coyotes over...

now I understand the reason Nolan wasn't suspended...

In his video explaining the ban, NHL vice president of player safety Brenden Shanahan said: “Pulkkinen sees Kostka's back throughout the play and tracks his opponent for some distance. Pulkkinen has enough time to make a better decision on this play. Although Kostka peeks up and might see Pulkkinen coming, at no point is he facing Pulkkinen or eligible to be hit at this dangerous distance from the boards.“While Pulkkinen does not explode through this check or finish with great force he still delivers a dangerous check that could have and should have been avoided.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_prospect_teemu_pulkk_3.html

since rusty was facing him it's ok to deliver a check that could have been avoided, even if it was dangerous, and sent him to the hospital with a concussion.

so basically it's ok as long as the player is facing you.... oh yeah, and your name is not Raffi Torres.

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
lol, what a moron..... in that case we can assume Shatty and co would have screwed the Coyotes over...

now I understand the reason Nolan wasn't suspended...

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/09/red_wings_prospect_teemu_pulkk_3.html

since rusty was facing him it's ok to deliver a check that could have been avoided, even if it was dangerous, and sent him to the hospital with a concussion.

so basically it's ok as long as the player is facing you.... oh yeah, and your name is not Raffi Torres.

His head was still the first thing to be hit. Plain and simple. I know it's preseason but if they are going to create the rule, then ****in enforce it.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like Biz's appeal worked: 3 game suspension instead of 10

Craig Morgan @cmorganfoxaz
Interesting MT @DamoSpin report. Paul Bissonette automatic suspension to be reduced to 3 games. No quality video & conflicting game report.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Well I guess we just found the upside to having terrible coverage of non Canadian teams.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
The likelihood of Biz now playing on Oct. 24th vs the Kings just went up a few notches. Now it's up to Tippett to put him in the lineup or not for that game.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
The likelihood of Biz now playing on Oct. 24th vs the Kings just went up a few notches. Now it's up to Tippett to put him in the lineup or not for that game.

I just hope he puts him on the ice when needed next time around, so we don't have this spectacle. I mean, let's face it Biz is spectacle enough.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm confused by the 3 games. Now, it doesn't really matter given how infrequently Biz plays, but my understanding of the 10-game rule is it's black and white; i.e., 10 games or zero games. What offence was committed here that warrants a 3-game suspension?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I'm confused by the 3 games. Now, it doesn't really matter given how infrequently Biz plays, but my understanding of the 10-game rule is it's black and white; i.e., 10 games or zero games. What offence was committed here that warrants a 3-game suspension?

NHL Wheel of Justice.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

The commish and arbitrator both have authority to override the statutory rule. It would appear in this case Bettman ruled "you're guilty of leaving the bench", however there were extenuating circumstances (line change) so we're reducing the punishment.

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Makes sense. The story on TSN adds, "Bissonnette did not have the ban wiped out entirely because the NHL said he 'must bear some responsibility' for sparking a fight."

Fair enough.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Confused by some of the Biz opinions I've read on this issue. Do we like Paul Bissonette? Is he a valued, appreciated member of the team?

Reduction makes sense to me. When I hear, "leaving the bench ..." I visualize a shirtless Stu Grimson tweaked out on uppers skating into walls at the old United Center, and that's absolutely not what happened here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->