Paul Bissonnette gets a 10 Game Regular Season Ban; UPDATE: Reduced to a 3 Game Ban

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Hats off to Biz for finally getting nasty when it matters the most though in the future I hope he doesn't leave the bench like that again and just waits until the next available shift to step up.

Last edited:

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't see it. Did he straight jump off the bench after the whistle, and drop the gloves? Or was it in the run of play and he skated over and started a fight?

Either way, with Shanny in charge, he might not get 10. IIRC, 2 (?) years ago, Downie on the Lightning left the bench to fight (The whole stick-as--gun incident in that Lightning/Rangers game) and he only got like 3 games. I remember HF being outraged that Shanny was that stupid to not give him 10.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I didn't see it. Did he straight jump off the bench after the whistle, and drop the gloves? Or was it in the run of play and he skated over and started a fight?

Either way, with Shanny in charge, he might not get 10. IIRC, 2 (?) years ago, Downie on the Lightning left the bench to fight (The whole stick-as--gun incident in that Lightning/Rangers game) and he only got like 3 games. I remember HF being outraged that Shanny was that stupid to not give him 10.

I could be mistaken but I think Brain Leetch took over Shanny's job.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
Hanzal, Vrbata, and Domi were on the ice. Each of them throwing their weight around (Domi was really going at it, trying to make up for his size; fell and threw himself into the boards behind Scrivens's net on that shift)... there was a whistle in our defensive zone- maybe offsides, maybe a penalty was called, not sure. A crowd gathered around Hanzal and Nolan, and that's about when Biz left the bench to go after Nolan. The crowd of players meant he couldn't actually lay into anyone though, so there was no proper fight.

This was 2-3 minutes after the hit on Klesla.

NHLeitner

Jan 2, 2013
Carolina
Downie didn't get suspended long because he made the case that since the shennanigans were going on after the whistle, he was just coming onto the ice as part of a line change. Maybe Biz can make the same argument?

hbk

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Even if he does get 10 games, does it really matter? He would have been scratched for 5 of them anyways. We always say that we would be a better team without this 4th liner. We get to see if this is in fact true.

Sciamachy

Shadow Coyote
Jan 31, 2008
Sarah McLellan ‏@azc_mclellan 6m

Re: Bissonnette:Tippett said hasn't heard from league. GMDM talked to league last night. "They're doing their homework on it," Tippett said.

Tippett:"It was a change. Bis was next going. I don't know if he jumped early or what the situation was but it wasn't much of an altercation

Bissonnette declined to talk about incident last night. Obviously, he and the team are waiting to hear more from the league.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
So far no word if they'll be a hearing or not. Hopefully not as all of us just want to move on from this.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Well, our boy gets a suspension and theirs doesn't.

I hope this serves to give more motivation to our boys.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
If I were to express my thoughts on how I feel about this outcome I would be banned in about 2 seconds.

I'll just put it that way.

Agree with you 100% but I'll say a bit. Bis deserved the 10 games, it's fairly clear in the rules unfortunately. The Nolan incident looked shockingly similar to another hit I remember getting a 25 game suspension though...

diceone

Aug 14, 2006
tempe
Agree with you 100% but I'll say a bit. Bis deserved the 10 games, it's fairly clear in the rules unfortunately. The Nolan incident looked shockingly similar to another hit I remember getting a 25 game suspension though...

It really didn't, it was a pretty clean hit. Torres left his feet before and hit Hossa in the chin, Nolan launched after the hit and initiated contact in the chest. It just had an unfortunate result and we're all frustrated by that.

Etch

Relegate the Oilers
Jun 1, 2011
Moncton, NB
It really didn't, it was a pretty clean hit. Torres left his feet before and hit Hossa in the chin, Nolan launched after the hit and initiated contact in the chest. It just had an unfortunate result and we're all frustrated by that.

Nope. Same thing happened in the Torres hit, he had skates on the ice at point of contact. In both hits the person performing the check comes off the ice as the hit is made. I remember we analyzed it pretty hard and had some nice frames showing Torres feet on the ice during initial contact.

I'll admit the rules say that the player is allowed to leave the ice after contact and I'm fine with it. Was a clean hit. (I'm ignoring the fact that there was potentially some significant head contact by the way. Hard to prove it either way because of the camera angle though so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt)

I'm allowed to be upset that Raffi got 25 games for the same thing.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Gotta love how the NHL isn't fair with its punishments. Since the suspension is over 5 games that means a 3rd party will hear any appeals. A joke as well how the Preseason won't count towards serving any time as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->