Patriots/NFL Pats 13-3 - AFC EAST CHAMPS - #1 SEED - Next up - A week off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

A Denver win on Monday would be helpful to the Patriots.

The unknown in the second half is Buffalo

upload_2017-10-30_6-42-27.png

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
"Nothing about this season makes sense!"

:sees Pats and Steelers are the top 2 teams in the AFC:

"Oh."

What a weird season.

It's been strange for sure. Lot's of teams still with legitimate chances to make playoffs.

Parity or overall mediocrity?

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Perfect opportunity for Patriots to make a trade while on the bye week and get that newly acquired player an extra week of practice

Reactions: bbfan419

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Holy crap.

AAueod6.img
© Provided by New York Daily News Zach Miller was carted off the field Sunday before undergoing…Chicago Bears tight end Zach Miller underwent emergency surgery Sunday night to repair his dislocated left knee in New Orleans.
According to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen, vascular surgeons were called in to save Miller’s left leg from amputation.
The procedure was “more significant” than a regular dislocation, and included grafting tissue from Miller’s other leg to repair the damaged artery, per the report.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...y-in-effort-to-save-leg/ar-AAueuuW?li=BBnb7Kz

Reactions: BMC

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Given how piss poor their defensive play has been for the entire season, I'm stunned this team is 6-2. Overall, have to give them credit for winning despite the bad play.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Given how piss poor their defensive play has been for the entire season, I'm stunned this team is 6-2. Overall, have to give them credit for winning despite the bad play.
Entire season? Over the last 4 games they've held teams to an average of 12.75 points. I complain as much as the next guy but, especially given the injuries, the D deserves a ton of credit.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Entire season? Over the last 4 games they've held teams to an average of 12.75 points. I complain as much as the next guy but, especially given the injuries, the D deserves a ton of credit.

Yeah, and over the course of the entire season, they've given up more yards per game than any other team. And they're also giving up nearly 300 yards per game in passing per game. While they've been better lately, they've still played below expectations.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah, and over the course of the entire season, they've given up more yards per game than any other team. And they're also giving up nearly 300 yards per game in passing per game. While they've been better lately, they've still played below expectations.

Yards per game don't mean squat, it's the points I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure what your expectations were, but you are looking at a D that lost or traded a number of players who contributed. I expected the secondary to be better, but not the rest of the D.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yards per game don't mean squat, it's the points I'm concerned about.

I'm not sure what your expectations were, but you are looking at a D that lost or traded a number of players who contributed. I expected the secondary to be better, but not the rest of the D.

My expectations were that they wouldn't give up 300 yards passing every game to complete stiffs. That's it. And they've played better recently, but let's not forget they set an NFL record for consecutive games giving up 300+ yards passing per game to start a season.

On a positive note, Shea and Valentine will be activated this week, from what I've heard. That should help them tighten up even more after the bye.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
My expectations were that they wouldn't give up 300 yards passing every game to complete stiffs. That's it. And they've played better recently, but let's not forget they set an NFL record for consecutive games giving up 300+ yards passing per game to start a season.

On a positive note, Shea and Valentine will be activated this week, from what I've heard. That should help them tighten up even more after the bye.

Lonnie, if they keep the point totals down and win the games, who cares about the yardage. The NE defense has a history of giving up yards, but not points and I am fine with that.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Regarding the bolded, they still went 4-2, and could have gone 5-1 . Yards don't matter. Look at Stafford & the Lions yesterday. 423 yards passing, over 500 yards of offense, and they lost. Same with Houston. Watson threw for 402, and the team had 550 yards of offense...lost. Literally doesn't matter.

Complete stiffs? Aside from McCown, they've played legitimate QBs every single game this year so far. Say what you want about Alex Smith, but he's having a great year.

No shame in giving up 300+ to Brees, Newton, Winston. And with the way Watson and Smith are playing this year so far, no shame there either.

I get people want to tear into the defense based on the early season results, and it was absolutely warranted at the time, not because of the yards, but because of the big plays against, and lack of communication. But they've been worlds better since Tampa Bay, and it shows.

Personally I'm encouraged that they are winning these "rock fight" type games, and not blow teams out. Those type of wins show you nothing.

Reactions: Nothingbutglass

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Im actually more concerned with the offense right now. Were terrible in the red zone these days and McDaniels has me flinging the remote more than usual this year

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Im actually more concerned with the offense right now. Were terrible in the red zone these days and McDaniels has me flinging the remote more than usual this year

The Red Zone issues make zero sense to me with the weapons they have, even without Edelman.

I get a lot of their bread and butter throws are gone because they don't have a guy that is a true slot guy with Edelman out, but there are ways around that, and they just are not using them.

Why this team gets away from using the Lewis/White/Burkhead combo in the passing game when it's working to start heaving it down field is just stupid football. It's no surprise that Brady missed something like 6 or 7 in a row yesterday and his next completion was to White out of the backfield, and it got them moving again.

This team should live and die out of 2 back sets since Edelman went down, and with Dwayne Allen apparently unable to learn the playbook. Mix in the 3 wide as well. Lewis and White make people miss, use them inside the 20's more.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Lonnie, if they keep the point totals down and win the games, who cares about the yardage. The NE defense has a history of giving up yards, but not points and I am fine with that.

I guess you're more confident in them getting stops in a bend but don't break scenario. To me, in the previous years, they did this, but they still weren't giving up that many passing yards. This year it's been historically bad. If they can keep scoring down, I guess it won't matter, but I doubt they can give up that many yards to marginal QB's and keep points down. To me, it will end up costing them at some point.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017

and Reiss said Malcolm Mitchell has been running. A healthy Mitchell would be a boost to the offense. It will interesting to see who gets the two spots.

Reactions: LSCII
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad