NFL: Patriots promote linebacker coach Jerod Mayo to head coach

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
As soon as that report about his contract came out, it was obvious this was going to happen.

Complete opposite personality to BB, so that will be refreshing.

We'll see who he brings in around him. This will be very important.

Reactions: Bocephus86

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Worked for DeMeco Ryans.
Ryans had a bit more coaching experience, 2 years at the coordinator level, and wasn’t taking over from a legendary coach.

I suppose ultimately it all depends on who they draft at QB and how ready he is to step in. Do they have to trade up to get someone? Do they trade down a bit and still target a guy? Do they try to hit in FA for a stopgap?

Reactions: LT and Voight

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
As I mentioned in the Belichick thread, not my 1st choice but makes sense for keeping the D intact plus the players love him and he’s a high-regarded up n’ coming defensive mind.

It’ll be really interesting to see who they hire as GM and how Mayo fills out his coaching staff.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Repeating from the Belichick thread:

It’s a ton of pressure to put on a dude with 4 years of coaching experience to take over from a legend and sets him up for major failure.
5 years…plus another 8 under Belichick as a player

Also just reported by a Pats beat writer that this plan was essentially only expedited by 1 year because of this past season.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Seems like they will hire a GM now...who will have to work with a guy he did not hire.
The ultimate irony would be for the Patriots to send all these guys out into the league, by and large pissing and shitting themselves outside of the Patriot Way sphere, only to not hire any of them once the GM spot finally opens.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
His defenses were 30th and 21st in points allowed. He didn't get the job because he did a great job preventing points.

He got the job because of who he is.

Texans could've hired him at any point. We went through two other head coaches while DeMeco was available. Maybe the franchise knew they needed to rebuild some before bringing him in, but I think they just wanted him to show more and have more experience as a coach.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Texans could've hired him at any point. We went through two other head coaches while DeMeco was available. Maybe the franchise knew they needed to rebuild some before bringing him in, but I think they just wanted him to show more and have more experience as a coach.

He is a GREAT hire. I decided 2 years ago to stop having a favorite team and just enjoy the games. I am enjoying it, but as a Buckeye fan I obviously love Stroud. If I decide to pick a new favorite team, I am pretty sure it will be therm.

Reactions: LT

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Mayo has been the DC in New England just without the title. He called the plays
1.) Being a "coordinator" in NE means less than just about everywhere else given how involved Belichick is; and
2.) Being the DC means *even* less.

My point has not been that Mayo sucks as a coach, for all I know he's a brilliant up and comer. My point is that it's incredibly hard to come in after a long serving coach and succeed simply because the organization must go through so much change related to acquiring and managing talent (both draft and FA). That's doubly true when the organization lacks talent at QB that can mask those transitions.

The Patriots have a good defense and a trainwreck of an offense, lacking talent at the three most significant spots (QB, WR, Oline). That would be hard for a new coach to come into even if he was well established.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
1.) Being a "coordinator" in NE means less than just about everywhere else given how involved Belichick is; and
2.) Being the DC means *even* less.

My point has not been that Mayo sucks as a coach, for all I know he's a brilliant up and comer. My point is that it's incredibly hard to come in after a long serving coach and succeed simply because the organization must go through so much change related to acquiring and managing talent (both draft and FA). That's doubly true when the organization lacks talent at QB that can mask those transitions.

The Patriots have a good defense and a trainwreck of an offense, lacking talent at the three most significant spots (QB, WR, Oline). That would be hard for a new coach to come into even if he was well established.

incorrect. Belichick gives his coordinators a lot of autonomy. it's not a puppet situation

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad