Confirmed with Link: Patrik Nemeth signed

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yes, this two-year deal really throws a wrench in the rebuild.

Are people serious with this stuff? Hard to tell.

He is pretty clearly not serious.

Or in the very very small chance that he is, he just showed you he's not a poster worth listening to.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Two year deals that can be buried, bought out, traded or a number of things after this year if by some miracle we need the room to compete for a playoff spot. We definitely do not need those spots this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would have liked to see us give Derrick Pouliot a shot as a cheap/young LD

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Nemeth is an eager shot blocker, too. You could do a lot worse for a bottom pairing guy to help your PK.
Neither signings today are anything but place holders. They both fill roles, but are also easily expended if a kid emerges. I am actually pretty happy with Yzerman today.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I wouldn't be surprised if Kronwall is retiring and one of Ericsson and/or Green will be LTIR. Nemeth seems like a good replacement for Ericsson. Not a big deal either way, we're gonna suck again this year and get another really good draft pick next summer.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think you guys will like him, even if he occasionally frustrates you with a needless icing. He's a shot blocking defensive D who works hard and although there isn't much offense to write home about, he'll probably pot a couple goals for you. He's also money on the PK. He did a good job for us last year but there just wasn't room for him anymore.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I just realized that Daley, Ericsson and Green's contract all expire this season.

This signing makes even more sense to me now. It adds some short term stability to the blueline. Especially on the off chance Stevie can move one of those guys at the deadline.

Reactions: avssuc

RedWingzz

Everybody loves Raymond
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
3 million for Nemeth? Not a fan of this one at all. He's a #6 who is now making 3 million per year. He's the definition of "meh". Not exciting, just a typical #6....

The start to Yzerman's tenure as a GM is not going very well.....

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
3 million for Nemeth? Not a fan of this one at all. He's a #6 who is now making 3 million per year. He's the definition of "meh". Not exciting, just a typical #6....

The start to Yzerman's tenure as a GM is not going very well.....

The Red Wings have definitely stockpiled their D. The question now is whether Daley, Ericsson, get waived or moved either before the season starts or at the trade deadline. The other question mark obviously is Kaski and Bowey. I could see Bowey maybe being moved. That is why there is so many question marks. One other question mark is whether a healthy Green gets moved as well again at the trade deadline. Next year no more Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley and Green.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I remember Scotty Bowman signing stay at home solid defensive defenceman Bob Rouse to help us win the Stanley Cup. It wasn't an exciting decision either. It takes more than sexy offensive players to win the Stanley Cup. We also need some grinders. Anyways, perhaps Steve plans to waive or trade Ericsson.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I remember Scotty Bowman signing stay at home solid defenceman Bob Rouse to help us win the Stanley Cup. It wasn't an exciting decision either. It takes more than sexy offensive players to win the Stanley Cup. We also need some grinders.

Probably helped that they had Nick Lidstrom and Paul Coffey to carry that offensive load from the back end though....

Reactions: avssuc

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Yes, this two-year deal really throws a wrench in the rebuild.

Are people serious with this stuff? Hard to tell.

I don't think the outrage is that this move will hinder the rebuild, or that Nemeth is terrible.

Its that a 6th/7th defensive defenceman IS NOT WORTH 3 million a year!

Reactions: Oddbob

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Probably helped that they had Nick Lidstrom and Paul Coffey to carry that offensive load from the back end though....

We had those guys for years, but always felt short. Scotty knew we needed to add a few pieces to round out the puzzle. He also didn't like Coffey(because he didn't play defence) and traded him for the goal scoring physical power forward Shanahan who was the missing piece that helped us win the Stanley Cup.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
The Red Wings have definitely stockpiled their D. The question now is whether Daley, Ericsson, get waived or moved either before the season starts or at the trade deadline. The other question mark obviously is Kaski and Bowey. I could see Bowey maybe being moved. That is why there is so many question marks. One other question mark is whether a healthy Green gets moved as well again at the trade deadline. Next year no more Kronwall, Ericsson, Daley and Green.

I would be surprised if anyone got waived/moved. They're probably expecting the team to deal with a whole bunch of D injuries and will carry 8 of them. Bowey probably rotates with Ericsson and/or Kronwall if he comes back. Daley and Green probably end up moved at the deadline, which leaves them with 6 and allows them to give guys like Cholowski/Kaski/etc. looks using emergency recalls for the last 1/4 of the season. Probably no way Kaski starts in the NHL unless the team is absolutely devastated by D injuries, or he pots like 2 hat tricks in the pres-season. He's probably been earmarked for GR since before he even signed.

Reactions: JIM Johnson

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
First Witkowski, then Nemeth....
someone tell Mantha to break his hand on Josi next season.
pn3jnlk9ar731.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->