Confirmed with Link: Patrik Nemeth signed

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
It's a two year deal, with Green and Kronwall as question marks for the year and Ericcson one hip injury away from long term injury list... I don't see the issue. Like someone else mentioned, we are signing him for 5 years... Short term, experienced dman. Trust Stevie people, he's got a plan I'm sure.

Can't roll out a completely green defense and hope they will just get better, we saw how badly we can be beat down when we rolled with all rookies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Cool with me. He's young and there's very little risk since it's only two years. As I said in the other UFA thread, I'm sure people will find a way to be outraged.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't see this trade anywhere but if it is + the draft we just had this team will play defense first game , probably trap hockey

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Very decent and steady bottom pairing defenseman. Should not touch 2nd pairing, but if he is played correctly you'll like him as he is a true warrior. He doesn't really have good puck skills but very good on penalty kill and with ~15-17 minutes / night he'll do a good job. Playoffs is his time, he ended up healthy scratch but that was only because Makar took his spot. Nothing wrong with Nemeth's play and he would had deserved to play but the spots were taken.

He will ice the puck multiple times / night tho. And it will drive you crazy eventually.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
It's a two year deal, with Green and Kronwall as question marks for the year and Ericcson one hip injury away from long term injury list... I don't see the issue. Like someone else mentioned, we are signing him for 5 years... Short term, experienced dman. Trust Stevie people, he's got a plan I'm sure.

Can't roll out a completely green defense and hope they will just get better, we saw how badly we can be beat down when we rolled with all rookies.

Is this what we’re doing? Going to default on the believe in Yzerplan every time a questionable move is made?

I mean yeah I have faith in him but blind trust doesn’t work even if he knows more than we do

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
This is usually said for any D man that proves zero offense yet is still in the NHL....

Except Nemeth is actually physical and actually decent in his own zone when compared to the players we have on our roster. He would have led our defensive group in blocked shots and hits, while only playing like 16 minutes a night. He's actually managed surprisingly not terrible possession metrics despite being deployed in his own zone 70% of the time.

Having someone who actually has a bit of snarl to his game will be a welcomed change for once.

If it means that Green isn't healthy, obviously it isn't a good trade off, but if it means Daley or Ericsson are not healthy enough to play another year, or have decided to retire, that's a net win every single day of the week.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
No, it reads exactly that way:

I thought Monday was getting to me.... But yea, according to Cap Friendly he was on a 1 year $2.5M contract last season.

What is a nice raise over that for a guy that was a healthy scratch at times last season?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
It sounds to me like we don't really understand the defense situation, going forward. Kronwall might be gone, Ericsson might be done, etc. Yzerman isn't letting that kind of information slip, I guess.
Nemeth strikes me as a reliable d-man that can play in situations where younger guys like Cholowski and Hronek would get exposed at this point in their careers. The other veterans (Green/Ericsson/Daley) are going to be a revolving door of injuries this year.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
It sounds to me like we don't really understand the defense situation, going forward. Kronwall might be gone, Ericsson might be done, etc. Yzerman isn't letting that kind of information slip, I guess.

I still think they wanted to sign a Dman that will be under contract for next season when they potentially lose Ericsson, Daley, Green and Kronwall (if he returns) in a year. I just figured it would be someone that was an at least competent #4D and not another overpaid offensive black hole #6/7 guy.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I think Kronwall is in fact done and either Green or Ericsson are going on LTIR.

The defence will look like this

Dekeyser
Hronek
Daley
Green
Nemeth
Bowery
Cholo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad