Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Laine and Buff could switch spots on the PP1 point man position if the teams are clogging up the passing lanes through middle. Even better if Scheif moved to Laine's spot and Buff to Scheifs spot, they would have Buff net front and Scheif and Laine as the shooters the opponent has to pick from. Laine from point or Scheif from the left.
Lots of options. They just need to do something when it's not working.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Lots of options. They just need to do something when it's not working.
But we have one of the best PP's in the NHL , i think our PP is fantastic just the way it is . Once in a while the goalie is hot or we are just missing on our shots but we have a top 3 PP in the NHL so i wouldn't change anything . This PP is scary good if you ask me .

Reactions: behemolari

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Laine in a scrum today:

"I don't really care about assists."

****ing legend :laugh: so happy this guy is on the Jets. What a personality :laugh:

Typical Laine interview--insightful, honest, quirky and funny, yet understated.
He is a smart young lad and understands his game much better than some of his fans...but I don't think he is quite as laid back as his public persona would suggest. After saying he didn't care about assists, he noted that he "almost doubled" them with two in one game (but just flipped the fraction in his head). He also talked about playing 180-something games in the NHL--the actual number is 184. My point is that he is intensely and realistically focused on his numbers, play and productivity in private, while deferring to the team's accomplishments in public.
That's the way you want it.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Typical Laine interview--insightful, honest, quirky and funny, yet understated.
He is a smart young lad and understands his game much better than some of his fans...but I don't think he is quite as laid back as his public persona would suggest. After saying he didn't care about assists, he noted that he "almost doubled" them with two in one game (but just flipped the fraction in his head). He also talked about playing 180-something games in the NHL--the actual number is 184. My point is that he is intensely and realistically focused on his numbers, play and productivity in private, while deferring to the team's accomplishments in public.
That's the way you want it.

Yup, he can tell you out of memory how each of his points came. But he will also know how each win came.

Much smarter kid than many realize.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
But we have one of the best PP's in the NHL , i think our PP is fantastic just the way it is . Once in a while the goalie is hot or we are just missing on our shots but we have a top 3 PP in the NHL so i wouldn't change anything . This PP is scary good if you ask me .

It is good for regular season but I'm afraid it's not playoff ready. Teams seem to have been able to adjust to the Jets powerplay in rematches.

Jets probably need to come up with variety of strategies over the course of the season, to make sure that their PP will remain as effective in a 7-match series, as it has been in one-offs.

I believe switching up positions mid-powerplay is key to keeping the opposition on their toes, not allowing any obvious counter-play. Scheifele and Laine were doing it last season, and it seemed to be working.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Nothing with Jets is playoff ready, neither PP or Laine is.

Yup, regular seasons are for continuous improvement. Fail to do that and you can forget about the Stanley Cup. Therefore it's not fruitful to say they are "the 3rd best" or even the #1 in something. There is and will be room for improvement every single game.

Reactions: Ippenator

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Therefore it's not fruitful to say they are "the 3rd best" or even the #1 in something. There is and will be room for improvement every single game.

I was arguing the point that the PP is "easy to counter". If it's 3rd, then it can't be that easy to counter, can it? Just arguing against the notion itself, not against adjusting when necessary, though those points were obviously ignored.

Start a thread to discuss the power play. We've now drifted away from discussing Laine's position on the PP, to discussing the power play in general. It's worth starting a dedicated thread about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Psych0dad

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I was arguing the point that the PP is "easy to counter". If it's 3rd, then it can't be that easy to counter, can it? Just arguing against the notion itself, not against adjusting when necessary, though those points were obviously ignored.

Start a thread to discuss the power play. We've now drifted away from discussing Laine's position on the PP, to discussing the power play in general. It's worth starting a dedicated thread about it.

switching Laine and Buffs would not make any sense because of handedness, instead putting Buffs to the net I definitely would like to see that ..at leat for an experiment

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
switching Laine and Buffs would not make any sense because of handedness, instead putting Buffs to the net I definitely would like to see that ..at leat for an experiment
Interesting, but please make a power play thread to discuss further. Thanks!

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
It's so peaceful here on Laine Lane since the street fight moved over to Maurice Ave. :laugh:

Yeah people have stopped blaming Laine for his ridiculous icetime and some linemates. They've seen it's more of a Maurice issue, not an "earning" issue for the goals leader, and that Laine is fine when he is offered the opportunity.

Glad that discussion is now under the proper thread as well.

nippanappa

Nov 26, 2018
In my opinion one of the best games for Laine today. Strong on the boards in both ends and used his speed multiple times to get out of the zone for a good offensive opportunity. Ward robbed a sure goal and and an assist for him too.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
There was a Hawks dman he was ragdolling all night... every time he would do that I would hope to see Keith/Ruuta/Murphy/Seabrook's number but sadly it was always Jokiharju. If he gets his strength up and starts doing it to veteran NHL d-men... look out.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
There was a Hawks dman he was ragdolling all night... every time he would do that I would hope to see Keith/Ruuta/Murphy/Seabrook's number but sadly it was always Jokiharju. If he gets his strength up and starts doing it to veteran NHL d-men... look out.
The entire league is ragdolling Keith/Seabrook. They are _TERRIBLE_

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What the hell! Patrik!? 3 Primary assists in two games is a suck-measure for your abilities (+100% for the season). 6GP goalless streak, come on! Some people here claim that we can somehow jinx it by posting or shitposting in this thread. No f****** way. We know that you know that we know that you know that we know that onlyone who can do something about that is... you.

Jinx doesn't exist there. It may exist in theory, but only in your head, Dear Patrik!

Pate, kato ny ite miltä V**** tuo näyttää! Prkl!

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
This is. Semi -spammy, at least.

Its unfair, actually. We have more hockey players per capita than anywhere else in the world. Here in Finland.

We have most metal bands per capita (by far) in the world. We have allegedly the best sniper of all time (in a frozen woods of eastern Finland '39-40), and arguably the best in the NHL rinks right now.

Still, nobody, in their dark melancholic Finnish minds have realized they could compose, script, play, and sing a heavy tune for Patrik Laine. They could really make it, not like Metallica in NHL, far from it. Real, true metal. With real, deep, shamanistic touch. With nothing "popular".

Hockey is lame thing in Finland, because our own bards doesn't seemingly watch it, not writing about it. That is bad, and that is sad, as the logic of the ancients would practically dictate a success for all participants. *sigh*

*sigh*

Hockey could be a sublime thing...

They could've the power to entertain, but they don't sing about it because its "sports"...

Sports in Finnish is "urheilu", so that word itself at least shouldn't hinder their high poetry. At best, its only about a joke for a poet, and they shame themselves more...

Reactions: behemolari

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
I thought Laine played his best overall game last night against Chicago. He was a lot stronger on his stick, protected the puck well and was throwing his weight around more than I've ever seen him do before. He actually won a lot of puck battles for a change, which is a really promising development. It might get lost with all the goal scoring but he looks like he's still progressing nicely.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I wonder if he feels pressure to score at home and has a harder time doing it? His insane November was mostly away games iirc.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I thought Laine played his best overall game last night against Chicago. He was a lot stronger on his stick, protected the puck well and was throwing his weight around more than I've ever seen him do before. He actually won a lot of puck battles for a change, which is a really promising development. It might get lost with all the goal scoring but he looks like he's still progressing nicely.

Laine's stick-handling was superb and looked like something I thought I hadn't seen before. He was dangling in tight spaces and keeping the puck like he had just got a new pair of gloves, was winning battles and was just beasting out there. Could have easily had more points and he almost basically set up Connor for an empty net. Can't believe the goalkeeper was able to catch the shot when Connor was about to complete the hat-trick. Anyway, there were some glimpses of the player he's going to become and people are going to laugh at all the "one trick pony" takes looking past from the future. Just great he has a partner who can score goals too so he doesn't end up out of the score sheet on the nights his own shots fail to connect with the net. Kind of wish Stastny was still in, cause that line could easily be unstoppable with center like him (or someone even better).

I'm sure he's going to include figure skating in the summer training next year and reach the next level come 19-20. Once he fixes some of the edges and becomes even better skater, that's one scary thought.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Lately all he's been able to get on PP is one timers. Would the occasional visit to right side be good, maybe he'd be able to try his wrister from there?
The one play in which Laine and Scheifele rotate has worked quite well in the past. Would like to see more of that, as well as movement in general. I despise our PP1 when it is Hellebuyck who moves the most, recovering cleared pucks after the stationary play has been broken up in the other end of the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad