Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
It's cute to blame people for overreacting or small sample size after 3 games, but let's not forget this is the 3rd season of people overreacting to ELL. So rather than just these 3 games, it's also the 40+ (?) games last season and the 20(?) or so during Laine's rookie season. Also this icetime distribution thing was a common theme on these boards last season as well, for exactly same reasons. Now, you could argue that whatever Maurice was doing with icetime and matchups worked great for Jets last season, since they ended up with 114pts and in the conference finals. But you could also argue it was also why they lost those finals :P Besides, the time without Scheifele showed that even without Scheifele the Jets have depth to ice more than 1 offensively good line, and do it by playing defensively responsibly.

As for Laine, whenever he plays in this particular line, at some point we start to hear how he needs to improve this or that, be better at X, move his feet more etc. - most issues which seem to disappear or at least lessen radically when he plays in pretty much any other line combo. I won't even go into what kind of offensive weapon the Jets are wasting playing Laine like that. But it's not only about Laine, they are also wasting Ehlers, even worse since they at least use Laine's shot on the 1st PP. In the last game (extreme case I admit) the Jets seemed to have a 1st line, a shutdown line and two 4th lines :D

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Anyone wanna have a wild guess of Laine's TOI last night? :)

Is this a contest? What do I win? ;)

All SituationsPosnTime
Mark ScheifeleC22:30
Blake WheelerR19:10
Bryan LittleC17:24
Patrik LaineR15:31
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scheifele, Wheeler and Little logged a bunch of PK time, given the idiotic penalties that the Jets took last night.

5v5PosnTime
Nikolaj EhlersL13:34
Mark ScheifeleC13:27
Blake WheelerR13:06
Ben ChiarotD13:04
Bryan LittleC12:28
Patrik LaineR12:12
Kyle ConnorL11:52
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Power PlayPosnTime
Kyle ConnorL3:19
Mark ScheifeleC3:19
Patrik LaineR3:19
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Spock and MVPGoon

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Seeing as we have all this TOI talk here I figured I'd put this in here.
Laine's average TOI in his rookie season was 17:55. How did he do? He had 3 more goals and 8 more assists on even strength despite playing 9 less games than in 17-18. Way better Giveaway-Takeaway ratio, slightly worse corsi% and GF%(relative is about the same), better P/60. All compared to the 17-18 season. More TOI (with less PP time), slightly better results from a rookie season.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
I think Laine needs to move his feet faster. He looks like he has had a 10 hour Fortnite marathon laying on his bed before the game. Someone needs to wake him up! He even said last season that he started playing better when he started moving his feet! I think it is a mental thing. Many times when you think the game too much you forget to go all out effort and don't move your feet. (Just my take on things)

Reactions: KB1971

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
I think it is a mental thing. Many times when you think the game too much you forget to go all out effort and don't move your feet. (Just my take on things)

I think it is mostly mental.

Patrik "knows" things will not click with ELL. So when he is back to ELL and his brains are saying "s**t, this is not going to work", it won't.

They started with PLL and the extra effort and speed was clearly visible. Low TOI might have irritated him a little bit after thinking you are at least doing the right things. But I'll bet getting back to the ELL again just made the day for him...

I would say that it takes at least a couple of games to Patrik to get over the "disappointment". After that we can just hope for a miracle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I hope he developes into a line driver this season, and if the 2nd line doesn't get going they need to look at putting Wheeler there to get it going.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Patrik "knows" things will not click with ELL. So when he is back to ELL and his brains are saying "s**t, this is not going to work", it won't.

I would say that it takes at least a couple of games to Patrik to get over the "disappointment". After that we can just hope for a miracle.

Hello Patrik. ;)

The line might need changing, but I seriously doubt that Laine is that mentally weak.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Laine could threaten Maurice to grow his beard back unless he gets a shot at the first line with Chef :DD

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
The line might need changing, but I seriously doubt that Laine is that mentally weak.

I do not think this a mental weakness. Just a part of being an human being.

I think it shows a lot of mental _strenght_ not to publicly state or show you think there is something wrong with the utilisation of the lines. But it will effect you mentally finding yourself in this kind of position you are not feeling you _deserve_ to be in...

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I do not think this a mental weakness. Just a part of being an human being.

I think it shows a lot of mental _strenght_ not to publicly state or show you think there is something wrong with the utilisation of the lines. But it will effect you mentally finding yourself in this kind of position you are not feeling you _deserve_ to be in...

It wouldn't affect me. I don't know how it would affect you, or Laine, or anyone else for that matter. It's possible, but really just conjecture, and based on listening to Laine talk, I think he's far stronger mentally than you might be giving him credit for.

Reactions: Ducky10

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Of course this is impacting Laine (and Ehlers for that matter, probably even Little), let's not fool ourselves here. Why should he care about how he plays since it won't influence anything. Meanwhile other players are f***ng up and that doesn't influence anything either.

If you put a person in a position where there is no opportunity to succeed, they will start to feel it after a while. This is basic HR stuff.

I don't know what ruining a prospect looks like but I imagine it would look something like this. Although with Laine's talent, I think he should be close to unruinable.

Last edited:

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
his go to move cant be to always try to stickhandle thru the opposing team at half speed. pass the puck go the net open up some lanes or dump it in and go after it and try dig it out or hold it there till your linemates can come and help you gain possession no i'll just try and stickhandle thru everyone.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Laine's a professional athlete that has proven to be very strong of character throughout his career, not a Faberge egg. He'll be fine, and the Jets will eventually figure this out.

"Basic HR stuff" is different at this level, and we're not talking about real HR issues here, just chemistry and some setbacks on a professional hockey team that is designed to battle against setbacks.

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
It wouldn't affect me.

?

You know that by experience, or just think it wouldn’t affect you? Genious question.

You’ve been young and inexperienced and in this kind of ”unfair” position when millions of people are expecting you to perform. And you didn’t let it to affect your performance level at all? If so, all my respect.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
?

You know that by experience, or just think it wouldn’t affect you? Genious question.

You’ve been young and inexperienced and in this kind of ”unfair” position when millions of people are expecting you to perform. And you didn’t let it to affect your performance level at all? If so, all my respect.

I have seen and done a lot in my years, grasshopper. ;)

But that's irrelevant here - I just happen to have a lot of faith in Laine's character, more so than others, I guess.

Reactions: 19GoalsInPlayoffs

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It wouldn't affect me. I don't know how it would affect you, or Laine, or anyone else for that matter. It's possible, but really just conjecture, and based on listening to Laine talk, I think he's far stronger mentally than you might be giving him credit for.
I agree that Patrik is likely very strong mentally, he certainly marches to his own drummer. But he did say last year that it was difficult to produce with little (no pun intended) icetime.... paraphrasing of course.

(Using your post as a jumping off point from here on in....)

Then over the summer, Maurice said in an interview that Patrik had better get ready for more ice time. Patrik came out on fire in the first two games, but saw limited ice time. Now he looks to be back to where he was before those two games, cold and not really into the game.

Purely conjecture, but I think it's possible that he needs to be involved more to flourish. Previous to the Jets, he was the go to guy and played a lot of minutes with a lot of responsibility, he also looks like a completely different player if you watch those videos from 3 years ago.

It's a coach's job to recognize what lights a fire under his team, and realize that players are individuals and require different motivators to get their game going. We can all say he needs to move his feet, he needs to win board battles, he needs to retrieve pucks etc..... I think the cure is that he needs to be more involved. He's basically being used as a fringe player, when he has the potential to be a superstar, not just a star. I would hope that the coach would see the benefit of having a superstar contribute to the team, especially a team having difficulty scoring.

My two cents.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
his go to move cant be to always try to stickhandle thru the opposing team at half speed. pass the puck go the net open up some lanes or dump it in and go after it and try dig it out or hold it there till your linemates can come and help you gain possession no i'll just try and stickhandle thru everyone.

Classic Laine suicide rushes :). They do look better this year though. Must be all the practice :D

19GoalsInPlayoffs

Jan 30, 2017
But that's irrelevant here - I just happen to have a lot of faith in Laine's character, more so than others, I guess.

You’d be surprised how much faith I do have in Laine and his character ;).

But I think that you are representing him as some kind of superhuman. He certainly is mentally really strong, but expecting this kind of situation not to have some mental affect on him - or any starplayer - means you either do not see the situation through the eyes of a young and really ambitious player. Or really haven’t ever been in a situation where you know your actions have some really irrational consequences. From your point of view. When the situation lasts long enough, it just takes some toll.

You can make yourself to _believe_ it won’t affect you. But it will. You might not even notice it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->