Player Discussion: Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
:laugh: Other thread closed - after you did all that searching and after I wrote this response, so put it here.

Didn't mean to put you to that much trouble.
Look at the 3rd paragraph in that post. I believe that supports what I said earlier. I haven't complained about Ehlers being used on the right side. I don't like that line. I don't like Ehlers on it, but not because he is on the right side.

If you want to do another search, you will find posts where I have advocated playing Dano on his off side. He has not taken well to being required to play the left side. Therefore a coach should accept the reality and play him where he is able to perform. Both Ehlers and Laine have played their conventional sides successfully.

I don't think Laine is ready to play on the left yet. I want to see his 2 way game improve further first. But if he is not succeeding on the right after a little more time passes, I would move him to the left. Based on the success he has already had, I don't think that will be a problem.

Once fully adapted he will be able to play wherever he is most needed or most successful.

Laine is already a better two way player than anyone on the first line.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
I look forward to his Selke win in 4 years then. Can't wait.

No he isn't. But he has improved from last year - and last year was better than the year before. He is clearly quicker.

:laugh: I don’t believe for a second that you actually believe that.

He plays far more defensively responsible game than either winger on the 1st line. I'm willing to bet that, if he gets the opportunity/TOI, he will be unanimously recognized as the best player on the team at the end of this season.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
He plays far more defensively responsible game than either winger on the 1st line. I'm willing to bet that, if he gets the opportunity/TOI, he will be unanimously recognized as the best player on the team at the end of this season.

You stated:

Laine is already a better two way player than anyone on the first line.

...not more defensively than the wingers on the first line. Your original statement would include Scheifele, no?

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
You stated:

...not more defensively than the wingers on the first line. Your original statement would include Scheifele, no?

I'm willing to stand behind that statement too. Scheifele steals from defense for offensive opportunities and gets caught deep too often.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

That is an opinion.

I'd take that bet - I'd even give you odds - big odds.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm willing to stand behind that statement too. Scheifele steals from defense for offensive opportunities and gets caught deep too often.

And this assertion is based on? Eye test? Then I'll counter that eye test with my eye test and some stats, if you'd like me to back it up.

Laine is an amazing player, and the things he's doing at his age are incredibly impressive. He's not at the level of Scheifele on the defensive side, nor does he have the same sort of defensive responsibilities - I don't expect him to be as good at this age, or given his main assignment.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Im ok with Laine as the best goal scorer in the planet for his generation and best offensive player in the Jets history when all its said then done.

I have no worries on his other abilities, defense, board battles. At his age last 2 years he was already better than most players at that age anyways.

At age 20-22 there suppose to be a spike in offensive production for forward players.
I hope it gets maximize.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Disrespected by his coach, his fanbase and other fanbases. Scoring 44 should get you something. He has scored 20 or more 5v5 goals on both his seasons with positive goal differential. I will not buy any excuse to not give him and Ehlers the second line minutes they both deserve. I am tired of this, its a waste of talent.

Last edited:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Laine decided to bridge his way out of Winnipeg with the usage that he's been getting. He would be playing 1st line minutes on any other team in the league, and probably full PP as well.

Maurice runs his 1st line way too much, and him not even trying other line combos for the 1st and 2nd line in the preseason says it all about him as a stubborn and insecure coach. Somehow he is not able to spread the TOI and try different line combos in the top 6 (not counting the Ehlers - Perreault swap).

When you have a guy who finishes second in the league in scoring, you put him with your best playmaking centre. Swapping Wheeler with Laine would probably get the both lines going and boost the team scoring significantly. That would also give an answer to how good really Little is, when he gets to play with the Captain.

Put Laine on the 1st line and spread the TOI more evenly, coach...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I wouldn't be surprised if Laine decided to bridge his way out of Winnipeg with the usage that he's been getting. He would be playing 1st line minutes on any other team in the league, and probably full PP as well.

[snip]

I'm not yet throwing all hopes out of window(on Maurice), but it's clear that Laine will be (soon enough) in a position where he can actually pick the team and contract with best perks suitable for him, and not talking now only about money. For example, Edmonton would immediately put him to McDavid's line. Florida would use him without hesitation with Barkov. Carolina would pair him with Aho. Even Caps would find some use for an another big caliber gun. And so on.

Only team Laine would skip is Canucks, and even they would add happily one particular clause... :sarcasm:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Disrespected by his coach, his fanbase and other fanbases. Scoring 44 should get you something. He has scored 20 or more 5v5 goals on both his seasons with positive goal differential. I will not buy any excuse to not give him and Ehlers the second line minutes they both deserve. I am tired of this, its a waste of talent.

Disrespected by his fans who think the only way he can succeed is by putting him with one of the best Cs in the league and that's it, his fans who believe he is nothing without Scheifele, his fans who believe that he can't put do anything playing with an average 2C, his fans who believe that just over 16 minutes a night (not that far off of what Matthews played), including top PP time (something Matthews saw none of last season) is not enough for him to show his thing.

It was a 2-1 game with the Jets ahead, that 2nd line was the only line that struggled. Lowry line played most of their shifts in the offensive zone while the 2nd line struggled to generate any amount of consistent zone time. Lowry line also went up against Kopitar all night and restricted Kopitar's line to just 2 shot attempts and 0 shots on net in over 8 minutes of matchup time. They earned every second of that 2nd line icetime.

I personally believe taking Perreault off of that line was a mistake and they are unlikely to accomplish much with the ELL configuration but whining and complaining about icetime esp when that icetime was given to players who had clearly superior games is not a good look.

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
I think that Jets are having hard time keeping Laine. I mean atleast take Little off from center, Laine's production is way better without him. How is it beneficial for team to take away his effiency? To save couple of millions at cap hit?

Oilers would be ready to pay big bucks and give him minutes at first line. Why Connor plays avg. 5 minutes more than Laine? Is he that much better and deserving?

Reactions: Mony Vibescu

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Disrespected by his fans who think the only way he can succeed is by putting him with one of the best Cs in the league and that's it, his fans who believe he is nothing without Scheifele, his fans who believe that he can't put do anything playing with an average 2C, his fans who believe that just over 16 minutes a night (not that far off of what Matthews played), including top PP time (something Matthews saw none of last season) is not enough for him to show his thing.

It was a 2-1 game with the Jets ahead, that 2nd line was the only line that struggled. Lowry line played most of their shifts in the offensive zone while the 2nd line struggled to generate any amount of consistent zone time. Lowry line also went up against Kopitar all night and restricted Kopitar's line to just 2 shot attempts and 0 shots on net in over 8 minutes of matchup time. They earned every second of that 2nd line icetime.

Whining and complaining about icetime esp when that icetime was given to players who had clearly superior games is not a good look.
Matthews played 18:30. Those are the minutes our first AND second lines should be playing in an ideal scenario. He is disrespected by people trying to mold him into something he is clearly not, instead of letting hin play the way he plays the game. Him and Ehlers get shit for ice time and then people come here and complain how they didnt really get anything done - well no shit.

I hope he bridges his way out of there if this garbage continues all season long. Screw this, honestly.

There would be a long line of takers willing to give him an actual top 6 role. This is pathetic.

CSW was not some superior line this game which deserved 23 minutes of icetime. They scored one goal and let in one goal while Wheeler looked like garbage.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I'm not yet throwing all hopes out of window(on Maurice), but it's clear that Laine will be (soon enough) in a position where he can actually pick the team and contract with best perks suitable for him, and not talking now only about money. For example, Edmonton would immediately put him to McDavid's line. Florida would use him without hesitation with Barkov. Carolina would pair him with Aho. Even Caps would find some use for an another big caliber gun. And so on.

Only team Laine would skip is Canucks, and even they would add happily one particular clause... :sarcasm:
Come on, Laine and Pettersson would be amazing. And I’m sure Laine acknowledges that too.

I think you are right otherwise, and it’s really getting closer and closer to Laine getting a bridge deal and then after that choosing the most suitable team for himself. Unfortunately the Jets are not this kind of a team, at least as long as Maurice and Little are there. Maurice’s play style with dump and chase and grind, grind, grind-hockey is also something that I Immensely dislike - even when it can lead into some wins. It just is a killer of creative skill based hockey.

He also makes horrible lines with distributing the strengths and weaknesses of the players very inefficiently and his ice time distribution is plain idiotic. I love the Jets, but I hate what Maurice is doing with them. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Matthews played 18:30. Those are the minutes our first AND second lines should be playing in an ideal scenario. He is disrespected by people trying to mold him into something he is clearly not, instead of letting hin play the way he plays the game. Him and Ehlers get **** for ice time and then people come here and complain how they didnt really get anything done - well no ****.

I hope he bridges his way out of there if this garbage continues all season long. Screw this, honestly.

There would be a long line of takers willing to give him an actual top 6 role. This is pathetic.

CSW was not some superior line this game which deserved 23 minutes of icetime. They scored one goal and let in one goal while Wheeler looked like garbage.

Laine played more than a minute more than Matthews on the PP last season and so far this season so the quality of his mins is higher. You are the one disrespecting him by having a very parochial attitude about what kind of player he can and cannot be at the age of 20. You have already given up and put a ceiling on him. Very sad!

Individual games here and there not withstanding, he will be averaging over 16 minutes a night easily as the season goes on like he has both the past seasons. Most reasonable people understand that.

Based on his interviews, it seems that Laine is more capable of self-introspection and sober thought than many of his so called fans.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Laine played more than a minute more than Matthews on the PP last season and so far this season so the quality of his mins is higher. You are the one disrespecting him by having a very parochial attitude about what kind of player he can and cannot be at the age of 20. You have already given up and put a ceiling on him. Very sad!

Individual games here and there not withstanding, he will be averaging over 16 minutes a night easily as the season goes on like he has both the past seasons. Most reasonable people understand that.

Based on his interviews, it seems that Laine is more capable of self-introspection and sober thought than many of his so called fans.
Laine should not be playing third line minutes. Neither should Ehlers. That is all i am going to say for now because i am on the phone. I was not happy with the ice time last season either and him him scoring 44 with the time he got was a miracle. Its a shitty situation and he already said last year that its hard to get into the games with the time he is getting.

You are talking about what might be, i am talking about what is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad