Player Discussion: Patrik Laine Part IX: The Precursor [Mod warning in OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Mod warning: flame a fellow poster, and we'll thread ban you. Critique posts ONLY, not posters.

If you decide to troll your fellow posters, we'll thread ban you.

The last Laine thread was a tirefire. Instead of punishing everyone, we'll remove problematic posters from the thread instead.

Take discussions of roster decisions / line usage to the other thread please.

We're all fans of Laine (and hopefully the Jets) - be civil, please.
---------

Continuation of previous de facto Laine-thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...le-laine-mod-warning-post-552.2413075/page-50

Situation is roughly this for Laine, while Jets have unprecedented regular season after 36 games.

Irt6nQo.png

5SmOqAE.png

Lineup troubles has taken our time in last 2 Laine threads (some 1000-1500+ posts directly relating to that, not counting deleted ones).

18th Goal

Now we continue here onwards. Talk!

Last edited by a moderator:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I thought this was interested posted it on the main boards...

Laine has 5 posts and 1 crossbar. Tied for the lead league in combined posts/crossbars with 6.
Rakell has 6 posts, Aho and Laine both have 1 crossbar and 5 posts. Laine is also ted for 5th in the league in missed shots (post, crossbar, high and wide) at 52. He's missed over the net 7 times and wide 39 times, neither of which are top 10 in the league.

His goal splits are as follows.
1 backhander, 2 slap shots, 4 snap shots and 11 wrist shots.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I do like how Laine seems to be skating a bit better/faster lately, seems to really help him & his line. Hopefully this continues for balance of season and through the summer. Laine next year could be noticeable faster next year if he makes improving his skating a priority.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I like the way Laine is developing a complete game - and he is. There are some clear weaknesses when he tries to do things he isn't very good at yet. But he tries - and he is improving.

As he gains strength, improves the mental aspects of his game and improves his skating he is going to become an incredible player, so much more than just a goal scorer. He is still eligible for the WJC!

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I like the way Laine is developing a complete game - and he is. There are some clear weaknesses when he tries to do things he isn't very good at yet. But he tries - and he is improving.

As he gains strength, improves the mental aspects of his game and improves his skating he is going to become an incredible player, so much more than just a goal scorer. He is still eligible for the WJC!

Agreed on your post, I will also add as he also learns what risks are acceptable and which aren’t. #Nobackhandpassesoutofyourownzone

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I do like how Laine seems to be skating a bit better/faster lately, seems to really help him & his line. Hopefully this continues for balance of season and through the summer. Laine next year could be noticeable faster next year if he makes improving his skating a priority.
He made it already his priority even this off season. He was practicing mostly for gaining explosive strength to the muscles that help the most to gain better acceleration and speed for skating. In addition to that his training very much concentrated in improving his stamina.

It was well known that he could have some stiffness and problems during the first half of the season. But it should only be getting better the further the season goes. I think Laine and his trainer Rautala made after all a very good plan for his training when thinking of the benefits in the long run. His biggest problem with his skating so far has been the lack of explosiveness and his stick thin legs before last off season of training. Now he has been able to already improve his physical side there, although the best results from it will be seen later.

I think Laine will have plenty of time to practice his actual skating technique, and his biggest problems have anyway never been with his actual skating technique, but his lack of explosiveness. The time for figure skating lessons and still improving his skating technique is when his physical training has been made much more optimal and he can get accustomed to his stronger and bulkier body.

He is an extremely smart and ambitious kid whom is willing to train as hard as it is humanly possible and smart, and his trainer is an excellent, smart and very experienced Finnish physical training guru (Hannu Rautala), so at least I have absolutely 100% confidence and trust in them making the best choices and decisions for Laine at the moment. I think some people on this site were absolutely overreacting and even panicking when Laine’s skating was not improved in the way that they had expected right at the start of the season.

No worries, he will get there gradually with the right and smart steps that he is taking. And when he gets there, I think it will be very, very happy days for all the Jets and Laine fans. :):thumbu:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

Luckily WB won't ruin our Christmas (and their revenues) because there are this 'fair use' thingy...

:yo:

The Archetypal example of how corporate control goes wrong, and against it's francise's best interests... I mean, economically.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed. The more speed he has to his game the more effective he becomes. He would be unstoppable if he could skate even at a step below Ehlers. But he is emerging more and more as the season goes on.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
yup. he is not standing still as much. it is how he is playing towards the end of the year that really matters.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I thought this was interested posted it on the main boards...

Laine has 5 posts and 1 crossbar. Tied for the lead league in combined posts/crossbars with 6.
Rakell has 6 posts, Aho and Laine both have 1 crossbar and 5 posts. Laine is also ted for 5th in the league in missed shots (post, crossbar, high and wide) at 52. He's missed over the net 7 times and wide 39 times, neither of which are top 10 in the league.

His goal splits are as follows.
1 backhander, 2 slap shots, 4 snap shots and 11 wrist shots.

Wouldnt have expected that. I wonder if he changed his stick during the summer. I think he has said at some point that he wants to get a less flexible stick once he gets stronger, and I think he was also in an ad for a new stick with kane and nylander

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Agreed. The more speed he has to his game the more effective he becomes. He would be unstoppable if he could skate even at a step below Ehlers. But he is emerging more and more as the season goes on.

My mathematical equation:

Current Laine + 25% speed/acceleration = 100+ point player

I think it's possible if he continues to improve his skating & conditioning this season & into the summer.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
yup. he is not standing still as much. it is how he is playing towards the end of the year that really matters.

This. It's not actually that much his improved skating, but he is now much less standing still on his own end trying to make a breakout. He is now more eager to rush to the neutral zone, which means he can also use his speed. And hocus pocus, this also makes him visibly so much quicker than the standing still Patty.

Basically Laine's breakout play has been having changes lately. He is now time to time actually that guy that flies to the neutral zone and also is not forcing the breakout all that stubbornly, but might also return the puck to the back if the own net. Haven' t make the statistics lately, but I guess the statistical bias towards Laine making the breakout is much lower now than in the early season.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
He said that after hard summer training, he will be in top form in mid winter, not september. Definitely its starting to look like he exactly knew what is going to happen, which is not surprise though, why wouldn't he know better. It has been showing for a while now that his acceleration is way better than in start of season for example.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Wait til the multi goal games start to happen. I think he only has one this year so far. I think it's unlikely that he doesn't get 5-10 more multi goal games the rest of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->