Player Discussion: Patrik Laine (mod warning in post #150)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Are you expecting him not to show development or are you saying that there wasn't development last season? Why do you keep repeating this? The kid went forward last season, no reason to believe he wouldn't go forward this season.

There wasn't that much of development last year, I want to see clear development next year from day 1 he entered the league.
Laines skating was heavy on the 1st half, he himself had to call himself out on it, he struggled with creating, winning puck races& gaining space at ES.
This was explained by peaking his conditioning to playoffs and being a beast in the playoffs, which failed as his goals& points pace dropped from the regular season, and of course blaming Little was a favourite for some here.

I don't ask perfection from Laine next year or to see prime Laine next year, but I want to see a guy who becomes tougher to play against at ES, a guy who starts to drive the play more. After next season it's been 3 years since the draft including 3 offseasons to get better, it has to show somewhere.

+3 season is a year where the other recent top young European kids have brought their games to new levels.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
+3 season is a year where the other recent top young European kids have brought their games to new levels.
Because development is linear and similar, right? I don't think Ehlers brought his game to new level last season. William Nylander you could say almost regressed.

Reactions: Ippenator

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because development is linear and similar, right? I don't think Ehlers brought his game to new level last season. William Nylander you could say almost regressed.

What?

Nylander went from AHL/NHL to 61 point winger in his +3 season, Ehlers went from 38 to 64 points at the NHL level.
Again I haven't asked Laine to be perfect next season or explode like the others, but in 3 years time since the draft you could show something, should show clear development.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
What?

Nylander went from AHL/NHL to 61 point winger in his +3 season, Ehlers went from 38 to 64 points at the NHL level.
Again I haven't asked Laine to be perfect next season or explode like the others, but in 3 years time since the draft you could show something.
You're fixated on the +3 season like it means anything at all. You can blow up season 3 and be worse +4. Development is not linear. End of story.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
You're fixated on the +3 season like it means anything at all. You can blow up season 3 and be worse +4. Development is not linear. End of story.

So why is Laine this kid with whom we shouldn't expect any clear development before years 5-10?
It's damm laughable idea.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
This is what i literally said: The kid went forward last season, no reason to believe he wouldn't go forward this season.

Does that sound like i am expecting him to develop further? Yes, yes it does.

You didn't say anything on where and kept disagreeing with me.

Laine wasn't drafted as a longterm project as far as I know. I hope he has a beast of a summer and can help the Jets more next season.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I expect Laine

To be around 25 to 27 power play goals this year.

Though that is a lot to ask as since 2000 only

Kovalchuk
Ovie
Selanne have done it and another guy.

34 power play goals is insane, that is the record. That is near impossoble to do.
Unless powerplay opportuniy goes up dramatically.

I think the 1st year Laine is back with more creative thinking. He somewhat was holding back on those last year with his passing ability. Probably to improve his defense first approach.
I see a spike in assist.

I expect him to lead the team in scoring this year also.

So Jets management better sign thst extention before he does that

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You didn't say anything on where and kept disagreeing with me.

Laine wasn't drafted as a longterm project as far as I know. I hope he has a beast of a summer and can help the Jets more next season.
I didn't disagree with you. I am asking you why are you repeating post after post how Laine has to, just HAS to develop. Do you think that he will not? What if he skates a little bit better but plays an almost identical season to last one? Would you consider that enough development? What's your agenda?

I find it ridiculous how Laine is talked about like some borderline NHLer who needs to show up next season or he's gonna be out of the lineup.

The funniest thing is that he could just continue like this for the rest of his career and end up in HHOF.

But i find no reason to think that he wouldn't develop further just like everyone else. He's so young.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I didn't disagree with you. I am asking you why are you repeating post after post how Laine has to, just HAS to develop. Do you think that he will not? What if he skates a little bit better but plays an almost identical season to last one? Would you consider that enough development? What's your agenda?

I find it ridiculous how Laine is talked about like some borderline NHLer who needs to show up next season or he's gonna be out of the lineup.

No, and to see him develop into the player he can because I love the guy and feel he has the potential in time to be one of the best players in the league.

Lot of your last post has to do how Laine gets hyped by some as 60+ goal scorer/110+ point player but doesn't look like that level of a player& expecting clear development from him is too much to ask, and due to the contract he's about to get.
He's going to get paid like a superstar straight from the ELC, it's going to raise the expectation/demand.

To be paid like a superstar you need to be a leader.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
No, and to see him develop into the player he can because I love the guy and feel he has the potential in time to be one of the best players in the league.

Lot of your last post has to do how Laine gets hyped by some as 60+ goal scorer/110+ point player but doesn't look like that level of a player& expecting clear development from him is too much to ask, and due to the contract he's about to get.
He's going to get paid like a superstar straight from the ELC, it's going to raise the expectation/demand.

To be paid like a superstar you need to be a leader.
Ah, that's the problem. See, i ignore that stuff pretty much. And i feel like he's probably not gonna get paid like a superstar. Or well...i dunno where the line goes. I think he'll get 7-7.5 mil AAV.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

The funniest thing is that he could just continue like this for the rest of his career and end up in HHOF.

But i find no reason to think that he wouldn't develop further just like everyone else. He's so young.

Far from it -
In fact, we will probably be sending a pile of money his way in the very near future - he's no scrub:rolleyes:.
That is part of the reason that he is scrutinized.

Touchy subject with many but it really shouldn't be - the areas of Laine's game that need further development are obvious and have been discussed ad nauseam in a couple of threads.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It's pointless to continue when you don't bother reading the posts and keep going on about the same.

You just don't seem to get that Laine can be a sniper, goal scorer 1st, keep his shot, have that as his biggest strenght, but he can become deadlier, he can become a driver, a guy you can build around.
No one is asking him to become Lucic or Bergeron, just more deadlier and tougher to play against, again please read while not asking him to stop shooting the puck.
He needs to be worth the money he's about to get.

You are overhyping him while underselling him at the same time basically.

And that's the club people see Laine at in his age group, guys like Crosby/McDavid/Ovy/Kane took their place amongst the best at that age or had already taken.
If Laine truly is that good/has that potential +3 season is a season we need to see him take clear development steps, doesn't even have to become the deadliest guy out there but get himself clearly closer.

So far Laine is a guy who's had his problems at ES, it's fine because he's been so young but with todays NHL/Laines draft potential/what he has shown in the league it's time to really take the next step.

I certainly hope he does. It would be pretty exciting to have someone playing for our Jets, be on that level with many more years to look forward to.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Far from it -
In fact, we will probably be sending a pile of money his way in the very near future - he's no scrub:rolleyes:.
That is part of the reason that he is scrutinized.

Touchy subject with many but it really shouldn't be - the areas of Laine's game that need further development are obvious and have been discussed ad nauseam in a couple of threads.
Are there many 40 goal scorers who don't get paid? That's just how the league works.

Honestly, this is how i've thought about it: After last season and how long and hard it was (playoffs), i think regular season will feel easier for Laine, and that alone will increase his scoring a bit.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I certainly hope he does. It would be pretty exciting to have someone playing for our Jets, be on that level with many more years to look forward to.

It needs work but he has everything one could ever dream of available for him to help to make that happen.

Ah, that's the problem. See, i ignore that stuff pretty much. And i feel like he's probably not gonna get paid like a superstar. Or well...i dunno where the line goes. I think he'll get 7-7.5 mil AAV.

I fear that won't happen, he'd be leaving millions on the table, I hope he doesn't go for the max but
Drai& Eichel set the new bar sadly.

We went from Scheifele/Barkov/Mackinnon/FF around 6M straight to 8.5M.>.

Yes Eichel is a C and Drai was C/W but Laines agent won't have a tough time comparing their 1st 2 seasons since the draft in benefit of Laine.
Goals are expensive.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I've always felt that the Jets like their potential stars to focus on defense for the first couple of years and then turn them loose. I think it was 2 years for Scheifele and then he just seemed to get the go ahead to open up the offense.

I think the same path was set for Laine, he's definitely been working on defense and by the end of the year I thought he was doing very well. I think they take the chains off him next season and he soars.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Better sign the dude before season starts.
The price will go up next year for him.

Go Chevy do it!

I think he scores 5 hat tricks this year.
He was somewhat snake beaten last year ;)
And to think he scored 44 goals last year

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I've always felt that the Jets like their potential stars to focus on defense for the first couple of years and then turn them loose. I think it was 2 years for Scheifele and then he just seemed to get the go ahead to open up the offense.

I think the same path was set for Laine, he's definitely been working on defense and by the end of the year I thought he was doing very well. I think they take the chains off him next season and he soars.
Same with Ehlers... that's way they keep demotig him to the 3rd line his 1st 2 season.
He just keeps filing up points :)

A year older a year wiser.
I think he explodes to 70 to 80 points this year.

Asmola

Jul 12, 2017
Not bad combination for 30€/$35, going to watch that game.:thumbu:

102485_huge.jpg

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad