Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
If Laine would had started the season with the confidence and overall play he has had recently he’s likely have scored 55-65(based purely off my opinion) but there’s no way Laine or anyone can score 70+ in any season unless the NHL implements new rulings to make scoring easier.

It is definitely possible because we are talking about generational talent.

Reactions: Ippenator

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
On goal scoring paces and where they project:

EYkmkVd.png

Situation now.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It’s not [silly] to think he won’t hit 65 considering 60 has only been hit twice in like the last two decades. Hell 65 has only been done 24 times in the history of the NHL. It’s possible but I wouldn’t say likely at all.
No one should say it would be really likely. But to straightforwardly claim that it will absolutely never happen, is in my opinion as wrong to claim. Just think of it that he most probably will get already this season close to 50. With the smallish minutes and half the season in a horribly working line and as a physically raw and unexperienced young player. So do you seriously think that he will not be able to still improve his play and goal scoring even in the future? Or will he just always have those about 50 goal seasons and not improve from what he was as a raw teenager? I really don’t get this kind of thinking. I guess just a very careful and pessimistic approach, to avoid getting disappointed after all?

Realistically thinking it should be still obvious that he develops even quite much during the next few years, so it is pretty realistic to expect even quite substantial improvement to his goals and points production.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
It’s not [silly] to think he won’t hit 65 considering 60 has only been hit twice in like the last two decades. Hell 65 has only been done 24 times in the history of the NHL. It’s possible but I wouldn’t say likely at all.

It's not silly to think he will not hit 65 as that's awfully lot, but it's silly to think it's impossible, given his accomplishes so far so young and his trajectory.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's not silly to think he will not hit 65 as that's awfully lot, but it's silly to think it's impossible, given his accomplishes so far so young and his trajectory.

I agree with this. With the best possible line mates and 20:00+ ice time there is absolutely no way of telling with 100% certainty what Laine could not do, especially what comes to goals. So far he has defied all the odds in pretty much at every level, starting from jrs, then professional, international and finally NHL. He is only 19 years of age, not even close to a finished project and already competing for the Richard. At 6"5 with all the skill in the world and unreal shooting arsenal Pate is quite truly one of the kind.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Half season counted?

It's G/60, so basically the rate of scoring when taking into account how much time you spend on the ice (how many goals per 60 minutes of ice time). So basically it is still valid. However, high scoring is always hard to maintain over a bigger sample so if another player is really close, but has double the amount of games, that is a much more significant indicator of his scoring ability. Smaller the sample, the more volatile it is to short-term hot or cold streaks.

Reactions: Plural

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
With this teenage scoring record thing (silly) we've been hearing about Jimmy Carson. Interestingly his first two years were his best, and after 3 he completely dropped off. Not saying it'll happen to Laine, but these steep projections almost never work out.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
With this teenage scoring record thing (silly) we've been hearing about Jimmy Carson. Interestingly his first two years were his best, and after 3 he completely dropped off. Not saying it'll happen to Laine, but these steep projections almost never work out.

In this case we have to ask what is more likely. Nobody knows the future. But a Carson-like fate for Laine I give less than 2% probability. That game-breaking shot would already be absolutely deadly on it's own, but attached to it is a 6"5 stick-handling genius with elite passing. Laine is going to be ridiculous.

I think Laine would have to get severely injured to not be one of the best, if not the best player to ever play this game in his prime (which is still a long way from this point). He might also become complacent or lazy but I seriously doubt that.

Andon

Oct 23, 2016

The good thing is that there is no Gretzky in this league to trade Laine for.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Eh....Carson had his reasons. Apparently after getting traded he just didn't have his heart in hockey anymore. So unless Laine stop giving a crap then i wouldn't worry.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
65 goals was a crazy outlier hot season for Ovechkin. His 2nd best season was 56G. He averages 50G/82GP.

If current Laine had similar crazy season compared to his career average per 82, he'd end up at 57G. It's unlikely Laine is at his prime yet, I mean his current average is based on ages Ovechkin wasn't yet playing in NHL. Assuming he's at his prime already, 55-60G in a crazy season should be possible, but you can't count on a crazy season like that ever happening.

If you start projecting, depending on how much better scorer a prime Laine will be compared to rookie+sophomore Laine, who knows what he could do in a crazy season like Ovechkin's 65. Assuming scoring league wide doesn't change much, and significant but not crazy improvement from Laine into his prime, 65 or even 70 doesn't seem crazy at all, but to reach those kinds of numbers ever, he'd basically have to be around 50-55G / 82GP player on average in his prime and have a season where everything comes together for a crazy 82 game stretch.

I wouldn't bet on 65 let alone 70 ever happening, but I wouldn't bet against it either. Especially not my balls, I like them way too much.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
In a perfect storm Laine could have 2-3 more empty netters in a season like this (if he was a stable to secure the lead late in 3rd). 65 is within limits but does require the stars to align such as 1-3 teams in central being weak (rebuilding), being healthy, team being healthy etc.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
No one should say it would be really likely. But to straightforwardly claim that it will absolutely never happen, is in my opinion as wrong to claim. Just think of it that he most probably will get already this season close to 50. With the smallish minutes and half the season in a horribly working line and as a physically raw and unexperienced young player. So do you seriously think that he will not be able to still improve his play and goal scoring even in the future? Or will he just always have those about 50 goal seasons and not improve from what he was as a raw teenager? I really don’t get this kind of thinking. I guess just a very careful and pessimistic approach, to avoid getting disappointed after all?

Realistically thinking it should be still obvious that he develops even quite much during the next few years, so it is pretty realistic to expect even quite substantial improvement to his goals and points production.

Who knows how many goals he will score now and down the road. A lot of that will depend on his progression.

He's making strides now - his over all game has improved a great deal since the beginning of year.

He's only going to get better and the steps taken up to this point, including his time with the various line combinations, are part of the reason why is his where he is now - IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Andon and Calendal

suihkukone

Mar 12, 2017
Denmark
I saw a Laine interview a couple of days ago, not sure if it was on TSN or the Jets website, where Laine says Maurice called him into his office and they had a talk about the need for Laine to start skating more. Lo and behold, Laine started skating more and his game looks much better.

Man, if Maurice only asked him to come to his office in October and asked the same. He'd have at least 100 goals now.

It's not that simple. Can't be. If it was then both Laine and Maurice are brain damaged. Can you find this interview?

I noticed this also and thought man, is coaching that easy. I think this was interview after the hatty game.
JETS @ RANGERS - MAR 06, 2018
At 1:55:20 he mentionens something like this.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Way back in a previous version of this thread in the summertime I made a prediction.

Basically I predicted that Patrik would find that things were not as easy as they had been at the beginning of the season and might struggle. I also predicted that he would eventually find his way sometime after Christmas.

This is a pretty typical pattern for a second year player

^ nostrodamus

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
are u serious? lol this is why ppl laugh at laine fans. if he ever hits 65 i will buy you a pair of steel toe boots and you can kick me in the balls. 50 goals is reasonable 65 ? ya doubt anyone gets that any more in my life time
It’s possible to be close to 50 this year at 19 still working on his game. Imagine being on a line with chemistry for a whole year and getting more minutes? I don’t think it’s out of the question.

It unlikely with other players we can compare him to, but this could be a different animal all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->