Player Discussion: Patrik Laine - MOD WARNING IN OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He& Ehlers on the 3rd line means, especially during this home strecth that they are playing against weaker lines. Maybe this is what the duo needs, try to dominate the weaker lines to build confidence and hopefully be ready when the playoffs start.

His shot is something else, and he should just use it more. He can beat goalies clean like no other in the league and if for some reason goalie saves it it will create a rebound.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I talked today about hockey, Laine and his shooting with my woman companion who is neither interested nor knowledgeable about these things. I played that goal highlight video for her as a demonstration explaining what happens there. She was amazed by it. Sort of eyeopener moment to her. Beauty of his shooting can be seen even without any kind enthusianism toward hockey. (People can get annoyed about continuous stream of Laine news in Finland if they don't follow hockey or sports generally.)

Hopefully line changes bring more of this.

Women companion is an intriguing label and I will not press you for clarification since this is hockey thread but it did make me smile and reminded me of my buddy who died way too young.

Keith use to have women friend that hadn’t quite reached girlfriend status but they would meet from time to time to “hang out” usually after the bar type thing and when we pressed him about if she was his girlfriend he thought about it and he called her his acquaintance. Given the fact he was a bit rough around the edges and had never used that word in his life before our group of friends might have had some fun with the term.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
:blush:

...uhm... let's say that lately that same TV-time slot when NHL games are broadcasted in Finland I've had better things to do...

First thing in the morning is often to google 'Patrik Laine' (last hour) to see what happened. With smile on face. /End of this off-topic

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
:blush:

...uhm... let's say that lately that same TV-time slot when NHL games are broadcasted in Finland I've had better things to do...

First thing in the morning is often to google 'Patrik Laine' (last hour) to see what happened. With smile on face. /End of this off-topic

Got it and well done lad! It’s important to stay focused on our priorities and there is always time to catch up on hockey highlights and HFBoards.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Women companion is an intriguing label and I will not press you for clarification since this is hockey thread but it did make me smile and reminded me of my buddy who died way too young.

Keith use to have women friend that hadn’t quite reached girlfriend status but they would meet from time to time to “hang out” usually after the bar type thing and when we pressed him about if she was his girlfriend he thought about it and he called her his acquaintance. Given the fact he was a bit rough around the edges and had never used that word in his life before our group of friends might have had some fun with the term.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I think he finally discovered that you can actually pass the puck without handling it first and this realization made him happy. If he keeps remembering that, we will be happier too

That was a really well executed pass. Buff was on fire the whole game.

--

I think someone made a good point that we should really start to consider running Laine for both PP's if we are trailing. That shot is the best in the world.

Reactions: 204hockey

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That was a really well executed pass. Buff was on fire the whole game.

--

I think someone made a good point that we should really start to consider running Laine for both PP's if we are trailing. That shot is the best in the world.

Yeah I would do it as a coach. He isn't tired on PP and when you have an overwhelming weapon you use it as much as possible for maximum results. Even when not trailing. I don't like letting off the gas pedal. I watched that Finland-Sweden game where Teemu scored 3...

Reactions: grieves

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
I find it beautiful and almost mechanically perfect he let's the stick do all the work while his low hand anchors and hips drive thru just picture perfect
Anyone else find his one timer awkward compared to most? Especially the follow through.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Just saw a skier from Estonia with the same last name (same spelling)

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Good ol boy Patrik Laine with 44 points is tied for 59th in league standing . Big drop from when he was hovering top 20 last year.
Still 59th in all of the NHL players is very good for a 3rd line player.
His buddy Nik has 41 points around 71st overall. Drop also.

I believe Laine is the youngest in that top 60

I'm kind of ok with his time of ice (right now but not next year :) ). But he is hovering below 18 mins, more of less than 17 minutes. So that is right around middle 6 winger deployment.
Those top point getters gets 3-4 minutes more ice time. I'm not saying he deserve some of the times but , you get points by being on the ice more.

The boy Laine is doing mighty alright in my books.
Just need to get his acceleration better. He likes to start from a standstill position and it will help him a lot on his game to even go up a notch. When he is flying he is a sight to watch, good on his stick, see the ice well and always dangerous player.

Most great goal scorer/shooter in the history will always get look at as a one dimensional player no matter what they do. Looks like Laine is trending that way.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Just saw a skier from Estonia with the same last name (same spelling)

Estonians are a Finnic ethnic group closely related to Finns. Their language is closely related as well and you can almost understand the written words as a Finn but not quite. Quite often those shared words have a bit different meaning in Finnish and Estonian, but "laine" means pretty much the same in both languages ("wave").

Reactions: Robinson2187

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
^

Generally Finnish and Estonian aren't mutually intelligible languages anymore, but linguistically very close. Some 1000+ years ago they were essentially same language, or dialects of same language - Late Baltic-Finnic, if I'm correct. (Linguistic distance between contemporary Finnish and Estonian languages is greater then for example between Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish).

Would be nice to see more fellow Fenno-Ugrians emerging to Top international hockey scenes.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
And the "most unlikely sentence of the week" award goes to...

Expecting Laine to make a lot of noise tonight. Florida lacks depth at F, and they just played last night. This is a situation on which Laine and Ehlers should capitalise.
Agreed. Barkov and Trocheck lines are good but the other two lines... not so much. LCE should be able to exploit the matchup nicely.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Thank you thank you. But How it's exactly "unlikeliest sentence of the week" to root for brothers?

If there are any reasonable route to the hockey for Guys at the southern coast of that little sea between us, it's Finland. We can import millions of bottles of beer and vodka from there per year, but we cannot import some (more) guys to learn the art of hockey? That's weak.

They've built the metropolitan Helsinki (since '90s), almost like Cherokees built New York.

Reactions: Halberdier

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Are you talking about the Mohawk ironworkers here? Or something else?

Oh Mohawks!

Point was that why we have no Estonian hockey players, named Laine or whatever? Off-topic as hell, but after 600 pages of fantasy and conspiration theories, few pages can be spend for the reality. Right?

What was the current stick model/label of Laine? Should manufacturer create a brand for him?

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Everybody on the JETS team have the beard on going now.

Laine grew them 1st and it looks like he still have ways to go than some of the other guys :laugh:

Everything is alright Laine scored in close on his backhand :) plus a secondary assist!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad