Patrik Laine III: We’ve got questions, he’s got answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
So you're calling Laine a liar essentially?

I don't know how many of y'all have played hockey(or any sport), but your mental state 100% effects you're ability to do things. Hockey players are humans too, they go through all the same emotions you and I do. And when your mental state isn't right, you're not going to play right. Confidence absolutely plays a factor...

These aren't just robots that always do what they're told and perform tasks to the best of their abilities. You think because he's making the money he is due that it automatically makes him happy? You move to a city in the middle of a pandemic where you know absolutely nobody, can't even see your family or go out and enjoy the town and get to know your new environment.

Because I did that last March and I can tell you from my own personal experience, that the last year has borderline wrecked my mental state.
Not calling him a liar. It is his job to play hockey, I know outside things can influence how you play, just like how outside influences can effect me and my job. This guy has been playing most of his life, he has faced moving around and getting new team mates his whole career. It's part of his job and he knew it going in. I know these guys aren't robots, and I didn't say making the money he does makes him automatically happy. When you command a high salary, no matter what job you're in, you will have expectations to meet, it goes with the territory. He obviously didn't meet them. He seems to be staying in Columbus a bit to work on his game, which is a good sign, but he has to play better.

I've said in my posts before, and I'll say it again, I want the guy to succeed, especially if he is on Columbus. I also think that he needs to add more to his game. He doesn't have to be great defensively, but he needs to improve that part of his game. He doesn't have to be great at puck handling, but he has to be better, though, and not turn the puck over as much. Rounding out his game will only make him better and harder to play against, which if he is here, that's a good thing.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
- Panarin actually played a while with Dubois and Anderson when neither were firm top six players.

- Panarin's first year in NY was with Strome and Fast. Neither were considered top six caliber at the beginning of that. Fast still isn't.

- McDavid plays with bottom six wingers most of the time. Kassian, Kahun, Puljujarvi.

- Tom Wilson was a 4th liner for years before being promoted to play with Ovechkin.

There are a lot of players around the league who play with linemates far above or far below them in talent. Laine isn't like those guys you mentioned, he needs a lot more help, and I'm not sure we have the help to give him. You can say "oh just put him with talent", but who? If you sink Bjorkstrand then you are too heavy for anyone on this team.
MacDavid played with Kassian and Puljujarvi but the second player is or Dreisaitl or RNH. Btw the Jesse isn't a grinder. Ovechkin has Backstrom and Wilson isn't the fourth line player but a very good powerforward. Strome is a very good center even without Panarin, what this season showed. Besides he always has good hockey IQ. Fast was there for defense, forchecking, similar like Robinson with Domi and Bjork. Panarin played with Anderson too but always in Dubois who was our best center. Btw he was better than Panarin in PO.

Nobody wants Bjork for him IMHO it would be stupidity we need more good lines. Only not two grinders. Especially if Larsen would want use his shot. Btw I think he had very good chemistry with Foudy.

Last edited:

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I’m all for keeping Laine and him building some chemistry with the same lines. Last season was a hot mess so it’s really difficult to judge a player until he’s played in a good system with the same line mates and without the fear of being benched.

Reactions: PhilJets

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
Who are these best players? He pretty much played with everybody last year and killed every line he was on. He was -28 because he didn't play well. A guy making 7 million a year and is a PPG player should be able to generate some offence himself and make the guys around him better. Him saying he has no confidence is an excuse. He was awful last year. Roslovic outplayed him with the same players around him.

Roslovic and Domi, as it currently stands. If you want to make things as difficult as possible for a new player in the team, it's to put him into a new line every two or three games. With the tight schedule of last season and no practices, there is no chemistry that can be established from that. Laine was basically sharing the ice with new people for around 30 minutes five versus five ice time before he got moved to another line again. What made it worse was that it wasn't only Laine, Tortorella basically juggled every line around, which is how you end with nothing working.

In other words, the thing you pointed out with him playing with everybody is exactly the reason why nothing became of it.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Roslovic and Domi, as it currently stands. If you want to make things as difficult as possible for a new player in the team, it's to put him into a new line every two or three games. With the tight schedule of last season and no practices, there is no chemistry that can be established from that. Laine was basically sharing the ice with new people for around 30 minutes five versus five ice time before he got moved to another line again. What made it worse was that it wasn't only Laine, Tortorella basically juggled every line around, which is how you end with nothing working.

In other words, the thing you pointed out with him playing with everybody is exactly the reason why nothing became of it.
Yet the same could be said for Roslovic with the line juggling, and he performed better than what was expected. With Domi and his injury, who knows how well he could have played. He may have even got that injury in Montreal as there was a clear line in his game log about halfway through the year where his play took a sharp decline and he never really recovered, and now he is facing surgery. More is expected of Laine, fair or not, and he didn't live up to expectations. That being said, I still want him here in case he figures it out and become a better, more rounded player.

Reactions: Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yet the same could be said for Roslovic with the line juggling, and he performed better than what was expected. With Domi and his injury, who knows how well he could have played. He may have even got that injury in Montreal as there was a clear line in his game log about halfway through the year where his play took a sharp decline and he never really recovered, and now he is facing surgery. More is expected of Laine, fair or not, and he didn't live up to expectations. That being said, I still want him here in case he figures it out and become a better, more rounded player.
You're not quite Roslovic often played with Cam. But in another yes.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
You're not quite Roslovic often played with Cam. But in another yes.
Yeah, he played with Cam, but there were people here that felt Cam's ice time should've been reduced, or that he should've been sat for a bit. Roslovic also had his thing with Torts where he was called out for being the only guy who didn't show up one game, and was also benched a game. He was able to work through it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Yeah, he played with Cam, but there were people here that felt Cam's ice time should've been reduced, or that he should've been sat for a bit. Roslovic also had his thing with Torts where he was called out for being the only guy who didn't show up one game, and was also benched a game. He was able to work through it.
Roslo could do chemistry with Cam and the second isn`t a bad player. Plus very important thing Roslo is a center he makes play and there was no pressure on him. Besides he`s from Columbus, he lives here he has family here. Of course I only write the differences between Patrik and Jack in this season. If he wants be TOP player and have minimum $7,5M (PL) he must shows his real qualities if this season can be excused next not.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Roslo could do chemistry with Cam and the second isn`t a bad player. Plus very important thing Roslo is a center he makes play and there was no pressure on him. Besides he`s from Columbus, he lives here he has family here. Of course I only write the differences between Patrik and Jack in this season. If he wants be TOP player and have minimum $7,5M (PL) he must shows his real qualities if this season can be excused next not.
True. Bottom line is Laine didn't play well this year. Him saying he is going to stay in Columbus to work on things shows me he is accepting blame in how bad he played. How much he improves or declines will show how serious he is about getting better. Of course, if he does get better, people will blame Torts instead of giving Patrik his due for the hard work and effort.

Reactions: Monk

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
True. Bottom line is Laine didn't play well this year. Him saying he is going to stay in Columbus to work on things shows me he is accepting blame in how bad he played. How much he improves or declines will show how serious he is about getting better. Of course, if he does get better, people will blame Torts instead of giving Patrik his due for the hard work and effort.
You're right. And especially your words about Torts.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Laine played well with Statsny in the Peg. He doesn't need a superstar center, just a centre that can distribute the puck, and is dangerous enough to keep the goalies attention. Honestly he could probably play with any of our lines if they were just allowed time to develop some consistency. Good coach's use their players to the best of their abilities. I agree that Wennberg would have been sweet with Laine. Imagine that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think stays unless someone blows Jarmo's socks off with an offer in which case he goes.

Reactions: LJ7201

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If a player's psyche is as weak as Laine's appears to be, it would be foolish to sign him to a long term deal. You're only asking for trouble.

He's a one dimensional player who is: a) expensive b) streaky c) weak mentally. The Jackets are in a rebuild.

It's a no brainer. He should go. Before training camp.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
If a player's psyche is as weak as Laine's appears to be, it would be foolish to sign him to a long term deal. You're only asking for trouble.

He's a one dimensional player who is: a) expensive b) streaky c) weak mentally. The Jackets are in a rebuild.

Do you know his psyche? Besides conclude according one season isn`t too goo. Look at William Nylander stats: William Nylander at eliteprospects.com

82bc6f723005.jpg

I doubt Leafs would be good if they trade him after this season. And trade... if it be good for the team ... yes, but not now.

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Yeah let's trade one of our most valuable assets when he's at a career low in value!

And then in 2 years when we see just how shitty of a return we got for a 40G scorer you can shit on Jarmo some more.

Every single GM is gonna be trying to get Laine at a price reflective of his season last year knowing damn well he's worth much, much more. Only a fool would trade him before he's had a chance to rebound and increase his value. And then in which case, why are we trading a 23yo 30-40G scorer whose most likely going to be one of our top producers? The only way he's traded this offseason is if there's a bidding war for him, which is extremely doubtful.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

What's exactly weak in your eyes ? The fact that he was traded to a place he knew one person, had no camp, couldn't associate off the ice with any of his new teammates, and pretty much had to hole up in his apartment for a good chunk of the season. He comes here, explodes right out the gate, gave the impression in first 5 games he was threat to score every time he shot the puck, and Then Torts started with his Bull Sh*T of benching him in a game he had a goal and an assist, then benched him 2 other times in next few games. Then Torts made his messaging to the media that he was going to change Laine into a power forward. He had different line mates nearly every game, guys he's never played with.. there was little practice time.. so tell me, where is his weak Psyche ? You don't see how all of that would make a player overthink, rather than play his game ?

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
What's exactly weak in your eyes ? The fact that he was traded to a place he knew one person, had no camp, couldn't associate off the ice with any of his new teammates, and pretty much had to hole up in his apartment for a good chunk of the season. He comes here, explodes right out the gate, gave the impression in first 5 games he was threat to score every time he shot the puck, and Then Torts started with his Bull Sh*T of benching him in a game he had a goal and an assist, then benched him 2 other times in next few games. Then Torts made his messaging to the media that he was going to change Laine into a power forward. He had different line mates nearly every game, guys he's never played with.. there was little practice time.. so tell me, where is his weak Psyche ? You don't see how all of that would make a player overthink, rather than play his game ?
And the throw in to the trade faced the same things and outperformed him. This arguement is as weak as Laine's game was last season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
And the throw in to the trade faced the same things and outperformed him. This arguement is as weak as Laine's game was last season.
Oh you mean the kid who was traded to his hometown?? Roslovic and Laines situations are miles apart. I would wager Roslovic would struggle mightly if he was traded to a Finnish team, even if he could speak the language.

We already had this conversation, there are people just like you and I. With different wants and needs. Roslovic and Laines situations couldn't be more different and I would imagine they're personalities are entirely different as well.

Roslovic literally landed in his dream team. Where as Laine moved to what in his eyes before he moved here as probably just another boring American town.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City

Jack knew a few of the players, skated with them in the offseason and he is from here. He didn't have to adjust to a new a city or anything so he was probably more mentally able to handle getting traded because he was traded to his home town. If he was traded to Arizona or really anywhere else, he would have had a tough time. You can't compare him and Laine in that sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->