Patrik Elias Versus Markus Naslund

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Just vote for the better player, taking into account peak, prime, longevity, talent, accomplishments, awards etc.

Bracket D:

Elias (2-0: defeated Hejduk and Naslund)
Naslund (0-2: lost to Alfredsson and Elias)
Allison (0-2: lost to Zhamnov and Tanguay)
Tanguay (1-1: lost to Marleau, defeated Allison)
Brind'Amour (1-0: defeated Damphousse)
Weight (1-0: defeated Koivu)
Zhamnov (1:0 defeated Allison)
Demitra (1-0: defeated Yashin)

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I go with Elias. Naslund had a much better peak of 3-4 years but Elias had a better total career

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Elias' two-way game, playoffs and longevity take this over Naslund's slightly higher peak 3-4 years

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Lol at people saying Naslund had a "slightly better peak."

Naslund was a consensus top 2 player in the world. Elias was never even top 10.

Elias had better longevity and a better career though, so him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

When was Naslund a consensus top 2 player?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
Was Elias ever even an all-star, let alone all star team selection? The imaginary "career value" obsession on these boards is insane.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

When was Naslund ever considered a consensus top 2 player in the world?

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Was Elias ever even an all-star, let alone all star team selection? The imaginary "career value" obsession on these boards is insane.

He finished third in the scoring race in 2001 and was an AS1 that year. He also placed sixth in Hart voting.

The guy wasn't some Andreychuk type. He had some seasons where he was legitimately a premiere forward.

He finished in the top ten for points three times.

I haven't voted yet, but I don't think it's crazy at all to vote for Elias.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
As for Naslund: I talked about how impressive his 2003 season was in the Naslund versus Alfredsson match-up that happened earlier.

Yeah, it's probably a stretch to say he was a "consensus top two player in the world;" however, he was absolutely a top five forward and arguably a top three forward in the NHL for a period of time. He finished second in the scoring race twice in a row and in the top four three seasons in a row.

He had 104 points in 2003, a very low scoring season.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
That it's close is comical.

Elias was a smarter player, a safer player and was productive for way longer. He was a direct and consistent contributor in important games. And he is the most important forward in Devils history.

Consistency and longevity matter a whole lot more than a very brief peak which resulted in 0 cups and 0 meaningful wins.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

He was a 1st team All Star in '01 and unofficial 3rd team in '04. He finished top 10 in points 3 times (same as Naslund), including 3rd in '01. From '00-'08 he led the entire NHL in playoff points with 99 in 107 games in a low scoring era on a defensive team. I think you're highly underrating him. And yes, he made the All Star team 4 times

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
He was a 1st team All Star in '01 and unofficial 3rd team in '04. He finished top 10 in points 3 times (same as Naslund), including 3rd in '01. From '00-'08 he led the entire NHL in playoff points with 99 in 107 games in a low scoring era on a defensive team. I think you're highly underrating him. And yes, he made the All Star team 4 times

Yeah, I guess Elias just sort of flew under my radar. Was never very high on the Devils

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, I guess Elias just sort of flew under my radar. Was never very high on the Devils

I think he tends to get overlooked because his best years were often not consecutive. Though I think a lot of that is coaching and linemate changes on the Devils. He didn't always get prime offensive minutes on an offensive team like a lot of the stars from the period. He was versatile enough to play with anyone in multiple roles though.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
2001 to 2004. Those 3 seasons he was the leading scorer in the nhl.

Aside from Forsberg. Tell me any players that was better than Naslund in those 3 years?

Forsberg
Jagr
Lemieux
Sakic
Lidstrom
Pronger
Stevens
Hasek
Iginla

Naslund was part of a great line but he was far from a consensus top 2 player lol.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Forsberg
Jagr
Lemieux
Sakic
Lidstrom
Pronger
Stevens
Hasek
Iginla

Naslund was part of a great line but he was far from a consensus top 2 player lol.

Naslund 278 points in 242 games
Jagr 230 points in 221 games
Iginla 236 points in 239 games
Sakic 224 points in 221 games

Lemieux and Hasek only played 1 full season during that stretch which means they can only have 1 good season. 3 good seasons is better than 1 good season

Stevens was 16th and 20th defenseman all star voting in 2002 and 2003. I think leading scorer is more valuable than 16th to 20th defensemen.

Pronger played 2 full seasons during that stretch. 3 good seasons better than 2 good seasons.

Forsberg only played 1.5 seasons during that stretch but Naslund did lose the Ross and Hart directly to him. So it's hard for me to put Naslund ahead of Forsberg.

You have an argument for Lindstrom but still kind of Harding comparing forward to a winger.

So top 2 forward. Every Player top 2 or top 3. I really dont think you did any research and just threw out random big names out. Some of players hardly even played. When someone is leading scorer combined for those 3 sessions. It's really hard to argue and say he is not a top 2 player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad