Patrik Berglund

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
The dude has a great shot, and very good plamaking abilities, and he has a very big frame at 6'4. He's so tough to knock off the puck, and because of his big frame he can weave around people using his body, and crash into the net, and create chances. He should be a top 15 pick, but for some reason people don't like him. The guy has no real flaws to his game. For someone his size he has really soft hands.

IMO he has the potential to be a #1 centerman, and his game to me resembles Oli Jokinen/Mats Sundin. Obviously he wont be as good, but Berglund plays like them, and Berglund being a 70+ point player in the future isn't out of reach. What do you guys think?

insider

Nov 14, 2003
I like Berglund :propeller

In all seriousness, I have him ranked 16th on my personal list. I think he'll be a Holmstrom type.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
insider said:
I like Berglund :propeller

In all seriousness, I have him ranked 16th on my personal list. I think he'll be a Holmstrom type.

Which makes me think that you have NEVER, EVER, seen Berglund play. Right? :)

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Predatore said:
Which makes me think that you have NEVER, EVER, seen Berglund play. Right? :)

Correct. But from the comments that I read from people who have seen him play, this is the vibe I'm getting ;) .

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Apparently there's a Holmstrom type guy in this years draft but I can't think of his name at the moment.
Maybe the insider is confusing Berglund with him..
Or maybe Berglund is the guy they're comparing Holmstrom to

insider

Nov 14, 2003
hoppy said:
Apparently there's a Holmstrom type guy in this years draft but I can't think of his name at the moment.
Maybe the insider is confusing Berglund with him..
Or maybe Berglund is the guy they're comparing Holmstrom to

Look, I admit I've never seen him play, however I've read a LOT about him and this is where I project him to be in 5 years. Players change style, and with his skillset and abilities, this is where I see him. One person's opinion, no need to rattle on about it!

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
insider said:
Look, I admit I've never seen him play, however I've read a LOT about him and this is where I project him to be in 5 years. Players change style, and with his skillset and abilities, this is where I see him. One person's opinion, no need to rattle on about it!
Nothing against you man!
I remember hearing someone in the style of Holmstrom and I can't think of him at the moment. I wasn't sure if it was Berglund or not myself.

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Sorry about that. I thought it was sarcasm. If there is another player like Holmstrom, I'd like to know about him :D .

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
insider said:
Sorry about that. I thought it was sarcasm. If there is another player like Holmstrom, I'd like to know about him :D .
No problem.. The whole sarcasm on the internet thing is a mystery sometimes.

Do you have any links to Berglund being Holmstrom-esq?
I'm trying to figure out who the Holmstrom style player is now

turnbuckle said:
What part of Canada is he from?
Now.. I think the sarcasm radar might be buzzing :sarcasm:

gameface

May 30, 2004
Maple Ridge, BC
Russian_fanatic said:
The dude has a great shot, and very good plamaking abilities, and he has a very big frame at 6'4. He's so tough to knock off the puck, and because of his big frame he can weave around people using his body, and crash into the net, and create chances. He should be a top 15 pick, but for some reason people don't like him. The guy has no real flaws to his game. For someone his size he has really soft hands.

IMO he has the potential to be a #1 centerman, and his game to me resembles Oli Jokinen/Mats Sundin. Obviously he wont be as good, but Berglund plays like them, and Berglund being a 70+ point player in the future isn't out of reach. What do you guys think?

I think I'd be thrilled if the Canucks took him if none of the higher-ranked names (and only even specific ones at that; for example, no Sanguinetti or Stewart) have dropped. I mentioned this in a thread on the Canucks board a while back. There is nothing I've read that doesn't make me think he has the ability to be a first line centre down the road.

turnbuckle*

Seachd said:
Yeah, so Northern Canada, I think. Right beside Rankin Inlet.

LOL. Thanks. He may know a couple of Greenlandian friends of mine.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
I think Berglund's playmaking skills go underrated especially since he is a center, and it should be the other way around(goal scoring abilities go underrated).

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
insider said:

Players change style, but the thing is... Berglund is best when HE has the puck under control. Holmström, otoh, is best without the puck when he does the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. Berglund is not that type of role player and it would very weird if he ever turns into one.

Gardebut30

Jun 8, 2004
hoppy said:
Nothing against you man!
I remember hearing someone in the style of Holmstrom and I can't think of him at the moment. I wasn't sure if it was Berglund or not myself.

The draft preview compares Jesse Joensuu to Holmstrom. Is that who you're thinking of?

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Predatore said:
Players change style, but the thing is... Berglund is best when HE has the puck under control. Holmström, otoh, is best without the puck when he does the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. Berglund is not that type of role player and it would very weird if he ever turns into one.

Well my mistake then. For some reason I had heard the comparison and it stuck :dunno: .

Thanks for the correction.

Jovofan

Apr 26, 2006
Vancouver, BC
gameface said:
I think I'd be thrilled if the Canucks took him if none of the higher-ranked names (and only even specific ones at that; for example, no Sanguinetti or Stewart) have dropped. I mentioned this in a thread on the Canucks board a while back. There is nothing I've read that doesn't make me think he has the ability to be a first line centre down the road.
I totally agree. Berglund slowly has become the number one guy on my wishlist for the Canucks (aside from the guys at the top of the draft that we probably won't have a shot at anyways) to take at 14 and I hope that they do. He have a glaring need for Centers in our system because none of the guys we've got have the ability to develop into a top six Center - I'm not really sold on Kesler being anything more than a 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->