Patrik Berglund Appreciation Thread

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
There are a lot of comments that assume Berglund is making rational (for him) decisions right now based on his values. I think its more likely that he's making irrational decisions based on something else, like an addiction. If he wanted to go to Europe, or leave Buffalo, he could have done that in different ways than pretending to be sick and then not reporting.

Its difficult to discuss without some underlying assumptions. We just know too little about what's going on. Even your post makes the assumption that Berglund pretended to be sick. Its possible he just told Buffalo he was done. Buffalo could have spun the "sick" narrative while they tried to figure out what was going on, what their options were and how to spin it with the press. I'd assume if a player is "sick" in the NHL, they visit a team physician for a diagnosis and time table. I can't imagine you can just call in sick in the NHL and not show up for several days without anyone seeing you. At least you can't do that and have the team think you are really sick.

That said, I agree that Berglund may not be acting rationally, or at least by what we would consider rational. Something more is going on than what we know, and it more than likely something going on with Berglund.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
There are people like Stan Kronke in the world, but Bergy never struck me as a guy motivated by greed. In his interviews, he seemed likeable and good humored.
Oh thats very true and probably the biggest difference with whst I said. My only point was money can make up for how negatively the public sees you. I can see Bergy being different than that though.

Last edited:

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Its difficult to discuss without some underlying assumptions. We just know too little about what's going on. Even your post makes the assumption that Berglund pretended to be sick. Its possible he just told Buffalo he was done. Buffalo could have spun the "sick" narrative while they tried to figure out what was going on, what their options were and how to spin it with the press. I'd assume if a player is "sick" in the NHL, they visit a team physician for a diagnosis and time table. I can't imagine you can just call in sick in the NHL and not show up for several days without anyone seeing you. At least you can't do that and have the team think you are really sick.

That said, I agree that Berglund may not be acting rationally, or at least by what we would consider rational. Something more is going on than what we know, and it more than likely something going on with Berglund.
Berglund pretending to be sick was quoted by a Buffalo beat writer in the Athletic recently. I'm not speculating there. When the team found out he wasn't, they suspended him.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Berglund pretending to be sick was quoted by a Buffalo beat writer in the Athletic recently. I'm not speculating there. When the team found out he wasn't, they suspended him.

Was that in the ridiculous "Sabres won the O'Reilly trade" article? I couldn't read the whole thing and quit after a couple paragraphs. The other Athletic Buffalo writer did a piece specifically about the Berglund situation. Joe Yerdon wrote "The following two games against the Kings and Coyotes, the team told the media that he was out sick." which says nothing about Berglund claiming to be sick. Maybe new information came to light, or Yerdon didn't give all the details. Its also possible the other guy was the one making assumptions. Beat writers aren't gospel, as our own Jeremy Rutherford should have taught us by now. Either way, I apologize for saying you made the assumption as you obviously had a source and no reason not to trust it. (I on the other hand am mistrustful of all sources by nature)

Reactions: Celtic Note

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Was that in the ridiculous "Sabres won the O'Reilly trade" article? I couldn't read the whole thing and quit after a couple paragraphs. The other Athletic Buffalo writer did a piece specifically about the Berglund situation. Joe Yerdon wrote "The following two games against the Kings and Coyotes, the team told the media that he was out sick." which says nothing about Berglund claiming to be sick. Maybe new information came to light, or Yerdon didn't give all the details. Its also possible the other guy was the one making assumptions. Beat writers aren't gospel, as our own Jeremy Rutherford should have taught us by now. Either way, I apologize for saying you made the assumption as you obviously had a source and no reason not to trust it. (I on the other hand am mistrustful of all sources by nature)
I think it may have been in the comments section if not the body of that article. I read several articles in a row, and don't remember now where the quote was, but I saw 2 new pieces of information:
1) Berglund claimed to be sick, and the team found out he was lying.
2) Berglund didn't feel like he was helping anyone, when interviewed early in the season about his role mentoring young players. The quotes from teammates make it sound like that wasn't the case, that some of the guys looked up to him and were learning something from him. Maybe that is just gracious public comments, but at least it sounds like Berglund felt fairly useless on that team. Seems like all he was good for was defensive zone starts.

I take it with a grain of salt, but this was stated pretty straightforwardly from a Buffalo writer that should know. Honestly, is seems to me like the local writers there are pretty quick to carry water for that team, and colluded a bit to keep the lid on some things the team preferred not be publicized. But more details are emerging. (Man, that trade piece was terrible. The bones of the article were good, but the opinion part was ridiculous and was directly contradicted by the very stats published in the article.)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
First of all....Buffalo beat writers are notoriously behind the times on getting information.

Second...if you saw the bloodbath of the last five years of being terrible the idea that buffalo’s Sportswriters would carry water for the organization is hilarious. The reason they don’t have information is that the organization hates the media and is as buttoned down as they can be.

Third...the RoR opinion isn’t new. Vogl wrote about it before he was traded. He wrote about it before the locker room clean out comments. He wrote about it because RoR was a devastating figure to the youthful exuberance in the room with his sad routine and people knew he had to be removed. And they suspected what would happen in the room if he was. And then it went exactly that way. The Sabres were never going to solve their problems with RoR as part of the solution. Moving him was the win.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
First of all....Buffalo beat writers are notoriously behind the times on getting information.

Second...if you saw the bloodbath of the last five years of being terrible the idea that buffalo’s Sportswriters would carry water for the organization is hilarious. The reason they don’t have information is that the organization hates the media and is as buttoned down as they can be.

Third...the RoR opinion isn’t new. Vogl wrote about it before he was traded. He wrote about it before the locker room clean out comments. He wrote about it because RoR was a devastating figure to the youthful exuberance in the room with his sad routine and people knew he had to be removed. And they suspected what would happen in the room if he was. And then it went exactly that way. The Sabres were never going to solve their problems with RoR as part of the solution. Moving him was the win.

All I got is 1st, B, and Delta, an NHL team traded to get this guy:

b4edb121b7f03feae5128e15592f349a.gif

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Do you believe ROR is part of the equation here? You've been very vocal about the team making a push after the poor start.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
He probably was barely making it while in STL. The difference is that he knows more people here than in BUF and grew up in the Blues organization. He was better able to cope while here.

He left for the right reasons.

Best of luck Bergie.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Berglund has deleted his instagram profile. :thumbd:
Since he is wanting to step away from hockey, deleting a social media profile is for the best given how toxic people can be. Just look at some of the comments made during the WJC towards Canadian players.

Reactions: rumrokh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad