Patrik Berglund Appreciation Thread

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I remember buying into the "centers take longer to develop" meme and thought he'd be our Henrik Sedin. :help:

Good luck to him in Buffalo.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Sobotka and Bergy both went to Buffalo, right?

Now their fans can endlessly debate who is the better player.

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Sobotka and Bergy both went to Buffalo, right?

Now there fans can endlessly debate who is the better player.

That is funny.

anigif_enhanced-22426-1426822107-2.gif

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
As has been said a lot in this thread, I'll miss Bergie but 100% agree with the decision to move on from him. I think he was absurdly underrated by Blues fans, but his contract was undeniably not one that this team could stomach for another 4 years.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that he was on pace for 20 goals, which is actually a bit low. He was on pace for 24 and had 23 goals the season before. There are absolutely holes to his game, but at the end of the day he is a streaky 20-25 goal guy who is a pretty good possession player and can kill penalties effectively. And he is able to do all of that while being used in a defensive role and scoring most of his goals at even strength (19 even strength goals in 16/17 and on pace for 18.7 last year).

Those types of guys are far from useless. I was pretty vocal about how much I disliked the contract we gave him, but I have to eat crow on that one. The AAV was fine last season and my complaints were how it would impact the team long term. Army got out from under it without giving up any additional assets and there is a strong argument to be made that he added value to the ROR trade that helped us include Thompson instead of Kyrou.

I'll miss Bergie and would be stunned if he didn't receive a very warm reception from the crowd the first time he returns as a Sabre.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Excuse me, but could someone point me in the direction of the Sobotka Appreciation Thread? Asking for a friend.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'll miss Bergie and would be stunned if he didn't receive a very warm reception from the crowd the first time he returns as a Sabre.
You gotta admit that it would be hilarious if you were watching the game on TV, you heard them play the tribute vids for Berglund/Sobotka and then all you heard was crickets chirping in the arena until the puck dropped again.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Looks like Berglund have some problems in IRL. Thank God we get rid off him out of Blues.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Looks like Berglund have some problems in IRL. Thank God we get rid off him out of Blues.

there's nothing to think that he'd have had the same problems had he not been traded from STL. It's probably more likely to presume that his problems are DUE to being traded from STL.

I've always liked Berglund. As a 3rd-liner, he's fairly paid and productive so I'm really interested in how things went so far south so quickly in Buffalo. That team is much better than this Blues squad, and he's definitely still an NHL-caliber player so I tend to think he's just taking the trade harder than expected. I wish him well, he seems like an awesome dude.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
there's nothing to think that he'd have had the same problems had he not been traded from STL. It's probably more likely to presume that his problems are DUE to being traded from STL.

I've always liked Berglund. As a 3rd-liner, he's fairly paid and productive so I'm really interested in how things went so far south so quickly in Buffalo. That team is much better than this Blues squad, and he's definitely still an NHL-caliber player so I tend to think he's just taking the trade harder than expected. I wish him well, he seems like an awesome dude.

Looks like he isn't professional enough to handle situation.

I agree Buffalo is better, but we let Berglund play no matter how bad he truly was. His reputation and long time Bluer + drafted one kept him in the lineup and in different enviroment it get exposed.

We certainly don't know the facts about case, but clearly his act indicates some strange behave in his point of view.

This case doesn't make him awesome guy at all. More then jerk who cant handle the truth.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

I agree Buffalo is better, but we let Berglund play no matter how bad he truly was. His reputation and long time Bluer + drafted one kept him in the lineup and in different enviroment it get exposed.

We certainly don't know the facts about case, but clearly his act indicates some strange behave in his point of view.

This case doesn't make him awesome guy at all. More then jerk who cant handle the truth.

Berglund got scratched last year and wasn't playing with much more ice time than he was in Buffalo. He was productive through his time with us and there wasn't much that would make people think he would do something like this. It's a bizzare scenario

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018

He probably left behind a string of girlfriends back St. Louis.

Saint Loser

Mar 16, 2018

Or like another member posted in a different thread; maybe his interests changed. Not a big deal.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Or like another member posted in a different thread; maybe his interests changed. Not a big deal.

I said that and I believed it at the time. Now I'm not so sure. With the sabres and the league both refusing comment it makes me a little nervous. With everything that has gone wrong so far I don't think the blues can afford some kind of contract mess with Berglund now. This whole thing is out of character with what I have seen in the past. I am starting to have flashbacks from the Scott Stevens trade. League was awfully silent then to for a few days. Something seems off..

Saint Loser

Mar 16, 2018
I said that and I believed it at the time. Now I'm not so sure. With the sabres and the league both refusing comment it makes me a little nervous. With everything that has gone wrong so far I don't think the blues can afford some kind of contract mess with Berglund now. This whole thing is out of character with what I have seen in the past. I am starting to have flashbacks from the Scott Stevens trade. League was awfully silent then to for a few days. Something seems off..
That would suck royal donkey *****.

But me thinks Bergie simply gave Buffalo the one finger salute and said later gator.

Last edited by a moderator:

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
That would suck royal donkey *****.

But me thinks Bergie simply gave Buffalo the one finger salute and said later gator.

Nah! He's not the type.although Ransku did say he thinks he might be shady. Everything I've seen so far tells me something is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Bergy realized he needed to get rid of all the evidence that pointed towards him being the real mastermind behind the cocaine ring that Lehtera is involved with, and he couldn't do that while still having a contract.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
In in role in Buffalo he was overpaid, but leading a shutdown line, he was very good. My suspicion is that he believed he'd get a shot at 2C in Buffalo but he never really got a fair shot at it. It seems like Casey Mittelstadt is the 2C and Housley wants him to grow into that role while playing it. Mitts could have done the shutdown thing too; he's very good defensively, but if Housley sees him as the future 2C he didn't want him to settle into the role of a defensive center. While Berglund tooled on like a good soldier it ate away at him until he just decided to leave (or perhaps there's something in his personal life that leaves him no time for hockey).

He was paid too much to play the fourth line, but he was damned good at it. Sabres fans are glad to be getting the cap space with Skinner expecting a hefty payday, but in the near term the Sabres will be worse for his absence.

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Wow this is strange...

So could Burgy recontract as a Blue and slot in as winger on our forth? We could give him the covited #7 jersey. Macaroon would make an awesome Saber.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Wow this is strange...

So could Burgy recontract as a Blue and slot in as winger on our forth? We could give him the covited #7 jersey. Macaroon would make an awesome sabre.
No.

Why would anyone want him back?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
No.

Why would anyone want him back?

It all depends on what he would cost. He was a decent 3rd liner for us when healthy. He brought solid defense, possession and streaky secondary goal scoring. Absolutely zero play making or consistency on offense. But the rest has value. He just cost too much. If he replaced Maroon with Berglund at Maroon's salary, we'd be a much better team. We are actually missing puck possession and defense after dropping our best players in those areas.

That said, I don't touch him at all due to optics of the situation. Trading him, having him fail to report and get his contract canceled, and then signing him. It smells way too much like collusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad